checking cam timing with vcds a4 b7 2.0tdi 170

cannywingate

Reaction score
is thear anyone that can check cam timing on my 2.0 tdi 170 with vcds willing to pay and travel trying to rule this out as im getting uneven tickover and poor starting when cold it is a bit smokey not oil when warming up it dose not bother me normaly as if you drive straight away its ok and when warm thanks cannywingate

first of all thanks for your reply it has been in for recall in 2007 audi says but i did not know how to check cam timing until you replied i tried to check it today but it came up with somthing differrant for group 4 do you know if vcds light is able to read these or do you need the full version and i got a differant reading for group 13 aswell fron the link you sent me for checking unles im doing something wrong so im non the wiser

Attachments

• vcds2.JPG
    vcds2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 770
  • vcds3.JPG
    vcds3.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 715
In the top left corner it's saying redir fail , this means that it can't locate a label file. The label file tells you what field is what.

What's your ecu number (should be able to read it through vcds) and I'll see if I can send you a label file. It may be because you're using a lite version.

Also note sure what the values should be, however a friend of mine had 2.0tdi 170 that always kept on hunting forward. We retarded the timing a touch and it made a huge difference !

hello i noticed that but didnt know why it said redir fail but i had a feeling it was coz i only have the light version not sure how to check ecu number but it must be there somewhere il plug it in tomorrow to check i will have to have a look to see what values they should be dont know were to look yet but il try thanks

I have this same problem with my b7 170 it’s had a new timing belt and water pump but since it has had it done it’s a rough starter from cold and idles roughly when cold I’ve researched the death out of this and can only find this that could be wrong it I’ve only managed to find Avon tuning in Bristol who say they can do this for me but I live in Manchester does anybody no where I can get the timing adjustment with VCDS ????

I have this same problem with my b7 170 ever since it’s had a new timing belt and water pump I can’t find anyone who can adjust the timing with vcds apart from Avon performance in Bristol but I live in Manchester can any body help