Checked my launch control counter..... OH DEAR!

AshRS3sportback

Reaction score
Hello to all,

So today I thought I would check my launch control counter using VCDS.

I bought my rs 10 months ago now, 1 owner car late 2016 from Audi with 6000 miles. Car now has 9k miles.

I’ll be honest, I was crapping myself the previous owner probably racked up 1000 launches.........

I was pleasantly surprised to find, drumroll please.............. 12! That’s half a launch a month lol. What are other people’s figures?

Not bad for a nearly 2 year old RS.

Regards

Ashley

Reactions: NevMan and RS4B5
Impressive. I’ve done about 10 and I’ve had my car 4 months from new lol...12 in 2 years is impressive.

Reactions: NevMan
In my previous S3 I did 2 in more than 2 years. In my current RS3 I did 2 in 6 months.
It’s funny, but I’m not a big fun of launch control and I’m a bit afraid to stress the transmission a bit too much (I’m overly cautious, I know)

Impressive. I’ve done about 10 and I’ve had my car 4 months from new lol...12 in 2 years is impressive.

In my previous S3 I did 2 in more than 2 years. In my current RS3 I did 2 in 6 months.
It’s funny, but I’m not a big fun of launch control and I’m a bit afraid to stress the transmission a bit too much (I’m overly cautious, I know)

To be honest, I struggle to find situations in which I can use a launch. The car accelerates so quick anyway plus I feel silly launching from traffic lights!

Reactions: sve170, RS3 S., RS3-Rob and 1 other person
I wasn't aware that the PFL launch counter was accessible from VCDS, does it tell you any more information other than just a number?

To be honest, I struggle to find situations in which I can use a launch. The car accelerates so quick anyway plus I feel silly launching from traffic lights!

I generally launch it with passengers for a laugh or when the roads are empty, like late at night. Wouldn’t dare launch from the lights unless something tasty was beside me and it was a national speed limit. Value my licence too much.

I generally launch it with passengers for a laugh or when the roads are empty, like late at night. Wouldn’t dare launch from the lights unless something tasty was beside me and it was a national speed limit. Value my licence too much.

Same, it’s a show off factor. I think I’ve only ever launched between the S3 and RS on my own once. I’d love to do it more, but the stress on the drivetrain isn’t worth it... it’s fast enough anyway.

But always good to see the reaction from a passenger.

Same, it’s a show off factor. I think I’ve only ever launched between the S3 and RS on my own once. I’d love to do it more, but the stress on the drivetrain isn’t worth it... it’s fast enough anyway.

But always good to see the reaction from a passenger.
I'm not doubting there's stress on the drivetrain. But possibly not as much as you think. There's a video somewhere of a 911 turbo doing something like 50 or 100 back to back launches without fail.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Reactions: Rhyso, Deep penetrator and AudiNutta
I wasn't aware that the PFL launch counter was accessible from VCDS, does it tell you any more information other than just a number?

On the 7 speed box only

I originally posted about it a while back.

One of the later VCDS updates added the feature.

I’ve just upgraded to Hex-V2 cable and there’s a hell of a lot of new stuff in long coding/adaptations.

Money well spent.

Reactions: Slowracer, Rob2k68, Sandra and 1 other person
Mines 2015 model, had it about a year an half, had the launch counter out of couriosity checked by Audi when in for a service last year..and was told ZERO launches.
And to this day still hasn’t.
Don’t see the point really..it’s quick enough as it is pulling away.
To be honest it’s a bit of a license taker I think as the speeds you get up to with out realising it is crazy, it’s only when the Mrs starts moaning I notice.

Reactions: E15, Sandra, NevMan and 2 others
LC in the RS3 is hilarious, if you guys haven't tried it you really need to. Also once set up you can launch it over and over as it only turns off with the ignition.

Note to whoever bought mine, not launched once :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deep penetrator, RS4B5, AudiNutta and 2 others
Launch Control Counter was added in VCDS 18.2 Release in Gearbox Unit. I'm talking about the facelift! I don't know if this also applies to PFL.
Some say that LC Counter also increases when you just "prepare" for a LC by firing it up without actually launching.

For me, 1. Just to see what the hype was about.
I find it easy enough to get tickets (3 to date) without actively attracting them..!

Having said that, we have an ideal area to use LC - it is exiting a toll booth going onto an autoroute. The gates open into huge areas of smooth tarmac where the speed limit is immediately 130.

Reactions: Sandra and NevMan
Had mine 2.5 years from new, precisely 2 launches done. One for me to see what the hype was about, the second to show the Mrs. She didn't like it hahahaha!

Reactions: E15, Deep penetrator, AshRS3sportback and 3 others
Hello to all,

So today I thought I would check my launch control counter using VCDS.

I bought my rs 10 months ago now, 1 owner car late 2016 from Audi with 6000 miles. Car now has 9k miles.

I’ll be honest, I was crapping myself the previous owner probably racked up 1000 launches.........

I was pleasantly surprised to find, drumroll please.............. 12! That’s half a launch a month lol. What are other people’s figures?

Not bad for a nearly 2 year old RS.

Regards

Ashley

Once you've done it a few times to show off to friends, when else are you going to use it?

Reminds me of Top Gear or GT (which ever one it was) with the GT3 using launch control at pedestrian crossings, drive-through, and car wash.

Not quite as pointless as Fords drift mode though.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Ozmosis
Ford's drift mode is the most pointless thing ever! Use it legally on the road? Nope. Can you use it on track days? Nope, because they don't allow drifting.

Maybe they just wanted to make sure all the Focus's drifted into trees before the head gaskets popped...!

Reactions: wab172uk
Once you've done it a few times to show off to friends, when else are you going to use it?

Reminds me of Top Gear or GT (which ever one it was) with the GT3 using launch control at pedestrian crossings, drive-through, and car wash.

Not quite as pointless as Fords drift mode though.

One of the funniest moments of TGT :grinning:

Reactions: Adi7r, RS3-Rob, DW81 and 3 others
Launch Control Counter was added in VCDS 18.2 Release in Gearbox Unit. I'm talking about the facelift! I don't know if this also applies to PFL.
Some say that LC Counter also increases when you just "prepare" for a LC by firing it up without actually launching.

Applies to 7 speed Pre-facelift too.........

Reactions: andyt99
8P, 8V PFL or 8V FL - no matter....without doubt the best part about launch control is the sheer excitement....and if you are cruel enough, that childish grin when you first take a client out and he asks “is this a sporty A3” and you modestly reply, yeah I think so - then the passenger assumes he is the alpha and takes control and then it’s all about what size of engine....and before you know it its all about how his own car is a 2 litre and it is also turbo charged - and as he starts to tell you how his mondeo smokes the reps astras every day and his testosterone starts peaking - I always like to cut in at that point and say we are about to stop at the on-ramp lights of the motorway so let’s see what this baby can do......he he....cue engage launch mode and then it’s WTF.....if he is a true petrol head you usually get the sale if not tourer a legend

Reactions: E15, AudiNutta, RS4B5 and 2 others
Applies to 7 speed Pre-facelift too.........
Ah, that's great news. It used to be possible with the 8P, but they said it wasn't on the 8V and it certainly used to be the case. I'll have to get a VCDS ordered!

I did over 150+ in 6 months , now i cant launch anymore loooks like i hit limiter loool. Waiting DSG map

Limit on launches! Interesting.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I did over 150+ in 6 months , now i cant launch anymore loooks like i hit limiter loool. Waiting DSG map
Is this true?! If so, I can imagine a few people hitting the limit if it's 150 launches!

Yes it's true you can have it raised or unblocked after 150 then another 150

Ah, that's great news. It used to be possible with the 8P, but they said it wasn't on the 8V and it certainly used to be the case. I'll have to get a VCDS ordered!
Hmm.. what's the best (ie, cheapest but reliable), place to get one of these in the UK? Shipping from US is insane!

Yes box is limited to 200 launches.

4C599740 CFC0 4509 BCC3 E177444A0174

You can find it in VCDS. TCU tune will remove the limit.

Reactions: Pablos007 and RS4B5
From memory around £250 for the genuine cable.

Yes box is limited to 200 launches.

View attachment 159690

You can find it in VCDS. TCU tune will remove the limit.
Next question, does setting up a launch and holding it on the revs but then disengaging and not launching count as a launch?

Reactions: Terminator x
Next question, does setting up a launch and holding it on the revs but then disengaging and not launching count as a launch?

A guy on the American site seems to think it does count it as a launch.

Where was that from I'm getting swoftware and cable for £50 for coding vcds etc