Check Oil Level.

Loneranger

Reaction score
Last night on the way home the oil light came on. The light is question is the yellow oil can with "min" next to it. Once home I checked the level and it was low. I popped to my local Halfords and purchased some castrol edge oil. I topped it up with about 3/4 litre of oil. This was allowed to settle and the level was fine.

I decided to give the car a run and too my surprise the light is still on. I've re-checked the oil and its fine but still the light.... what next?

The car is a 2008 A3 TDI 170, and it's done 14.5k miles.

I do a 100 mile per day commute to Birmingham, nearly all motorway. It was checked before I left for work and the level was fine. I'll give it another check at lunch..

hmm hopefully the oil level should be ok.

Could be a bad sensor? or just give it another good drive on the motorway again but do check the oil level before doing this!

last resort could be disconnecting the battery for around 20mins or so reset any fault codes if it reoccurs again but the oil level is fine...it's a trip to audi!

Well, just been out to check the level and it's spot on. I'll try the battery thing tonight but it looks as though the warranty will be getting its first use!

oh ok as long as there is no oil leak then your fine (i would of been really surprised if an 08 audi already had an oil leak!!) yeah the battery thing will clear all the fault codes so it should be able to eliminate the oil light for you..if not then yup 1st use of warranty! lol

where abouts in birmingham do you work mate? im from birmingham too!

I'm working at Jaguar Cars, Castle Bromwich at the moment on the new XJ..

wow! small world my mate works there doing some apprenticeship!

sounds like a sensor fault/try the battery disconnect, another thing the sensor may not read the oil correctly, in the past i added a cheapbrand oil and the sensor failed to reset, i drove til min level on dip then put recommend oil in and the light reset.. my concern is how much oil the audis(vag) burn,i had a oil service/haldex service 3weeks ago, and ive already had to top up the engine oil cos the light come on(have done 2.5k since service).

Well, I'm pleased to say the light has gone out again.

I checked the level before my run back to Northampton, the light was on nearly all the way. I pulled of the motorway and decided to give it some stick round the twisties and too my surprise the light went off.

I'll see how it goes... I've done about 8k miles since owning the car and this is the first top up of oil.

Time will tell...

glad to hear mate. yeah sometimes giving the car some stick can sort problems out! i had to do this with my mk5 golf had some emissions fault but noone could locate a problem so i was just told to put a bottle of redex and give it a blast on the motorway! lol problem sorted + was a fun repair ahaha and labour cheap!

just keep a close eye on the oil for sometime, not want to be running the beast with no engine oil! better to be safe than sorry, however i think you'l be ok!