Cheapest way to get Virtual Cockpit?

ahfh1

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of migrating from my A3 8V to an Audi A4, as my PCP is coming to an end in a few months.

I would love to get the virtual cockpit, but the cost is putting me off a bit. The cheapest way I can configure the build to get it is by choosing the light and vision pack (£975) and combining it with the Technology Pack (£1,450). This totals £2,425 which is quite high considering I only want the virtual cockpit and but don't really need the rest of the items in the tech and light and vision pack.

Is there a cheaper way of getting the virtual cockpit?

Thanks

You don't need the Light and Vision Pack. Technology Pack and then add on VC. £1,900

Reactions: ahfh1
Cheapest way to get VC? Well you don't need the Tech pack on the S4 and VC is £250. Just sayin...:grin:

Reactions: ahfh1 and PhxViper
Not really, the technology pack is included with the car, thus you are still paying a premium cost anyway...

best bit of the VC is having google maps, if you are not going to use the maps I would not bother with it at all.

best bit of the VC is having google maps, if you are not going to use the maps I would not bother with it at all.

Seeing as sat nav comes standard with the car, chances are I wouldn't use Google maps (accessed via mobile phone I assume?). I'd rather use the on board sat nav rather than faff about connect my phone to get Google maps to appear on VC.

Anyone else here think the same or is there more to VC? It might look pretty but is it a nice to have?

There's far more you can do with the VC display than just maps, plus if you stay with SD nav as well you lose out on free map updates, a hi-res screen, no phone box and no jukebox...

Reactions: ahfh1
If you like it get it. It's a nicer touch I'll admit but no more essential than a gun shot to the head. :welcoming:

Seeing as sat nav comes standard with the car, chances are I wouldn't use Google maps (accessed via mobile phone I assume?). I'd rather use the on board sat nav rather than faff about connect my phone to get Google maps to appear on VC.

Anyone else here think the same or is there more to VC? It might look pretty but is it a nice to have?

Google maps doesn't require your phone but probably only available with technology pack. You just configure the nav in the MMI to use google, it does need data though but in my view its a lot better than normal nav and you can use the screen to view traffic conditions on the road ahead.

Not sure what else the VC does which dials don't do although it does look nice.

Google maps doesn't require your phone but probably only available with technology pack. You just configure the nav in the MMI to use google, it does need data though but in my view its a lot better than normal nav and you can use the screen to view traffic conditions on the road ahead.

Not sure what else the VC does which dials don't do although it does look nice.

On MY17 cars - taking the tech pack will get you a 3 year data plan included, so if you do take VC the Google maps will pull data from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get VC you have to have Technology pack, which includes Google Maps. There is no faffing about, you setup your preferences (including to use google maps if preferred) and away you go.

It's fantastic to use the whole 12" screen for maps in areas of you don't know.
It's great to be able to customize the the car screen with what you want to see, Long term trip & Current MPG for example.
I don't use the phone tab too often, but the media section is useful.

Saying all that. there is nothing there that you couldn't live without, it's completely up to you. I'm glad I've specc'd it on my car, but if I got to spec another one again soon, I might choose a different option instead.

Reactions: Kestrel
Interesting post. I have a 7 month old RS3 with Audi connect with Google maps.. very impressed. Not sure I would have had virtual cockpit even if I could as it sounded like a gimmick... however the A4 I've just picked up has Vision and light pack with virtual cockpit and so far I am rather impressed. The novelty may wear off and I do need some training but so far so good. The next generation technology over my 2016MY RS3 8V is pretty impressive. All tips welcomed! Bit miffed my iPhone 6 doesnt work in phone box... should it??

Bit miffed my iPhone 6 doesnt work in phone box... should it??

Can you clarify by 'doesn't work'? You mean the wireless charging? - That's not a feature on the iPhone, however you can purchase a pad to go on the back to enable that. Otherwise with an iPhone you just grab your USB cable and just plug it into the USB port under arm rest and it should pop up on the MMI.

Can you clarify by 'doesn't work'? You mean the wireless charging? - That's not a feature on the iPhone, however you can purchase a pad to go on the back to enable that. Otherwise with an iPhone you just grab your USB cable and just plug it into the USB port under arm rest and it should pop up on the MMI.

Yup, the wireless charging. I have to use the USB which is a pain. I would have thought a fairly recent Apple device would have been compatible. What's the pad on the back? Also does Phone box enhance signal with iPhone 6 or is it just pretty useless??

Yes and no. If you like and want to use CarPlay - then yes you need to plug into USB. If you don't use CarPlay all the functions should work fine over Bluetooth - leaving you to wireless charge it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I didn't find the VC all that impressive when I had it in a courtesy car. More of a distraction if anything, and certainly not worth the premium Audi want for it.
Give it a few years and it'll be standard across the range.