Cheap paint protection film! Is it worth it ?

mike260193

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am really tired of all the rocks hitting my car and messing with my beloved car so I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231629050607

Have someone ever bought it? Is it difficult to install? How good is it ?

I know there are some 3m products way better but I am looking for something cheap.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Covering just part of the 'fenders' and 'hood' I think will look terrible to be honest (my opinion only maybe)

And having messed about with tint film in the past, and vinyl wrapping... I wouldn't expect it to be too simple, although this may be a bit easier as it is pre-cut.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and mike260193
Covering just part of the 'fenders' and 'hood' I think will look terrible to be honest (my opinion only maybe)

And having messed about with tint film in the past, and vinyl wrapping... I wouldn't expect it to be too simple, although this may be a bit easier as it is pre-cut.
I saw a Toyota Camry today with what i think id the same product, you would have to look very closely in order to see the difference, I wouldn't mind that as long as it can protect the paint.

I used the touch-up paint audi sales and it doesn't help that much covering the dots.

I saw a Toyota Camry today with what i think id the same product, you would have to look very closely in order to see the difference, I wouldn't mind that as long as it can protect the paint.

I used the touch-up paint audi sales and it doesn't help that much covering the dots.

Hmmm fair enough

I've heard with the touch up kits it is good to 'layer up' the repair, then flat it back slightly with some polishing compound. As opposed to just a 1 time application to try and cover it up... Maybe worth a go first?

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Hmmm fair enough

I've heard with the touch up kits it is good to 'layer up' the repair, then flat it back slightly with some polishing compound. As opposed to just a 1 time application to try and cover it up... Maybe worth a go first?
I am going to give it a try even though I already applied the clear coat it comes with.

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68
Yep build the paint up in layers (mix lacquer and colour if you've a metallic) apply with cocktail stick then when dry flat back with 2500 or 3000 grade paper and then buff back to gloss with a DA and gentle cutting compound.

I've seen the 3M films used, they are put on wet and then the water and air bubbles are removed with a squeegee when in the right place. They work well along the lower half of the car Porsche 911 rear wheel arches being the classic example but you'll always pick out the edges of the film if applied to the bonnet/wings.

Reactions: azibux1 and pburv
I havent bought the film myself but I did have some 3m fitted when I got the car. All I can say is take your time to do it right as I had some repair work done and the new work isn't as good. The difference seems to just be in the experience of the applicator. Having said that it has saved my car from hundreds of chips. I live in New Zealand and the roads here are real bad for stone chips, especially on the back roads.

Reactions: mike260193