Cheap in car camera (HD would be nice)

jamiebennett81

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap in car camera, one where I can mount (somewhere in my stripped out shell) that can give good decent recording (HD would be nice) so I can get some decent videos up of in car acceleration.

Seen a few cheap ones about, but wondering if anyone has experience of using the cheap ones, quality of video, not affected too much from the cabin vibrating/shaking etc

I ran with an ebay camera for a year or so, sound was naff so I modified it by adding a plug and socket for an external mic. Think the whole thing including mic stood me for £25. Pic was pretty reasonable but the date on it couldn't be changed and it always said 2008.

Went Go-Pro last year, huge difference in both picture and sound. If you can stretch the funds get one. Some good deals to be had on the Hero 2 as the Hero 3 has been released

I ran with an ebay camera for a year or so, sound was naff so I modified it by adding a plug and socket for an external mic. Think the whole thing including mic stood me for £25. Pic was pretty reasonable but the date on it couldn't be changed and it always said 2008.

Went Go-Pro last year, huge difference in both picture and sound. If you can stretch the funds get one. Some good deals to be had on the Hero 2 as the Hero 3 has been released

I thought go pro's would be well out of my price range, but I am looking at 2nd hand ones on ebay at the moment, and quite surprised how cheap go pro's with in car mounts

Make sure you get an external mic for it as the standard mic is terrible. If you get a Hero2 that is..

I use a Blackvue DR380, can't recommend it too highly, plus it's neat and discreet. The one in the eBay link you posted looks monstrous

I've got this one at the moment
2.0" LCD Dual Lens Car Vehicle HD DVR Camera Video Recorder Camcorder G-sensor | eBay

I've had it about a year, the one I have has good quality video both day & night and i like the screen! you can see what your recording, however there are some sellers on ebay selling the same model that are really bad quality videos..... I guess I got lucky! but if it ever goes faulty I'd think about getting a Blackvue

Getting a phone mount for my windscreen to record videos, may not be best quality but most cost effective especially if you don't plan on using it much.