Cheap exhaust options

MikeCrum1996

Reaction score
so I’m going stage 2 finally in the next week or so.. my only problem is my exhaust is so quiet and I don’t know if it will limit my potential for stage 2..
I have a 3Inch decat downpipe.. on the standard mid section and back box.. I think the standard exhaust diameter is 2.25.. would It limit me? Or is it okay for stage 2 ? I was thinking of just getting a aftermarket back box to give it more tone.

Any suggestions?

1.8t Aum

My TT still runs the standard rear box and resonator. Made 275bhp and 300Lb/ft with a welly cooler , decat, 3 inch DP, Badger V2.2 TIP,
4 bar FPR and Ramair filter. The standard engine is out of fuel around 280bhp and the standard exhaust system isn't that much of a restriction at that power level, I think it's a 2.5 inch system on the TT.

Reactions: Stuart B and S3 Hilife
so I’m going stage 2 finally in the next week or so.. my only problem is my exhaust is so quiet and I don’t know if it will limit my potential for stage 2..
I have a 3Inch decat downpipe.. on the standard mid section and back box.. I think the standard exhaust diameter is 2.25.. would It limit me? Or is it okay for stage 2 ? I was thinking of just getting a aftermarket back box to give it more tone.

Any suggestions?

1.8t Aum
You think it’s restrictive because it’s quiet?
Stage 2 only requires a 3” downpipe not a full exhaust plenty of people see good numbers with a standard exhaust and 3” dp on a stage 2 map

Saw 282BHP with my BAM with 3" DP & de-cat mated to a standard catback system.

An AUM is K03s so the exhaust is the least of your worries for "power"

Reactions: VAG-Slag and Tj 0785
An AUM is K03s so the exhaust is the least of your worries for "power"
You’re right but I’m not after huge power just the most out of what I got lol.. my main goal is torque not bhp id hope for 270-280 ft lbs of torque is this realistic?
Would I see any gains from swapping inlet manifold with something like a bam inlet?

Bam inlet is on the opposite side so would have to change intercooler pipework and throttle body don’t think you will gain anything by doing this

Reactions: S3 Hilife and Stuart B
dont know about the rods (AUM versus BAM), I believe the AMK BAM APX engines have something slightly different "wrist pins" but not an expert sorry. Prawn's thread might help, although I am not sure he ever went for minor mods.

Typically a standard k04 at st2 levels isn't going to be announce the 300lbft ballpark for rods. Can't guarantee they'd be fine of course, but the same can be said for any standard 1.8t engine at this point.

Have a read of the RTech running pages and Jardo's "must do mods" thread on here. Once you know what it is you are aiming for, it'll be fairly simple to figure out what drops suits

Reactions: hydro s3