Cheap A5 - the 1.8 is here!

TuffLittleUnit

Reaction score
OK, so the S5 and early A5 brigade may be sneering (and yes I'm jealous) but I've just downloaded the latest A5 price list from the Audi UK site and it shows a new 1.8 TFSI variant at ... wait for it ... £26,190 OTR.

Only missing feature appears to be the LEDs and Xenons and the good news is it's fairly CO2 friendly (169g/km) and reasonably quick (0-62 in 8.4 and top speed of 143).

Company car drivers rejoice!!!

UPDATE: Here's the link to the brochure with the info: http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/uk/Products/A5/pdf.Par.0007.File.pdf

Popped in to Leeds Audi at the weekend hoping to book a test drive for the 1.8 A5 given that deliveries were supposed to start this month. Bad news - delayed until next year; Feb at the earliest if I ordered one now.

I came in to test drive the car so I could make a decision as to whether I wanted one. Why would I want to order one before this?

The first 1.8Ts only just seem to be coming into the country. There are posts from new owners over on the A5OC forums which are giving very favourable responses (I'll let you Google it). Summary seems to be that performance isn't blinding when compared to the superlative 3.0TDi but very much better than expected from a 1.8.

I have an A5 on order as a company car and it's due for delivery either late this week or some time next week. I went for the 1.8T Sport with the B&O stereo, electric seats, Xenons and DRLs, light and storage packs, cruise, hill hold assist, parking system plus and auto mirror/lights/wipers and it's still working out cheaper in PUCs and tax than the basic 2.7TDi with no options at all (which incidentally, owners are indicating is rather poor in the fuel economy stakes).

3.0TDi drivers seem to be universally delighted with their cars but I just can't justify the additional expense for something I won't actually own (PUCs+tax are about £200 per month more than the 1.8T on my company car scheme)

Just been told my car is at the stealers. Just waiting for them to prep it and my fleet management company to deliver it. Looking like the back end of next week :)

Will post first thoughts when it arrives.

I notice you're driving an S3 ... surely you're going to be disappointed with a 1.8T engine in the A5? I'm currently in an A3 2.0TDi so no worries there ... apart from economy and the loss of the superlative DSG.

Indeed, however I have to loom outside the box for a sub 170 tax Gram, 30+mpg alternative for company/car allowace purposes

and i like the look of the A5:o.k:

I took delivery of my A5 1.8T Sport last week and it's completely exceeded my expectations which were already pretty high.

The 1.8T engine is pretty impressive. It certainly has more pull than I expected although I'm still getting used to the right gear change to get reliable mid range acceleration (I've had an A3 with DSG for the last 3 years in which I did over 58,000 miles so reverting to a manual is taking a little getting used to ... but I haven't stalled it!). The engine is lovely and quiet but makes quite a spirited noise on the odd occassion when I've started to push it a bit. At the moment it's not quite as economical as I'd hoped ... 35mpg on a recent 100 mile motorway cruise at "about" 70mph when I was hoping for low 40's.

The interior is fantastic (I have Black Milano leather). I got the optional electric seats which I'm finding remarkably adjustable and the lumbar support is a godsend after my A3.

The B&O sound system is stunning ... it makes the Bose in my A3 sounds like a transistor radio. The MMI and DIS displays are brilliantly clear and well laid out with plenty of options to tinker with. The DIS is a fairly high res multi colour display and I particularly like the digital speedo.

The best value for money option I got was the hold assist ... basically an automatic handbrake which comes on every time you stop. £45 well spent and a no-brainer option for anyone getting the manual gearbox.

Haven't really noticed the benefits of the interior light pack but the storage pack was money well spent.

Obviously had to add the Xenons because it's the only way to get the trademark LED day running lights and boy do they attract some attention.

Absolutely delighted with the car and would thoroughly recommend it (shame the order lead times are now back towards the end of the year).

Ive seen a few of these about, I would of thought the 1.8t engine in one of these great lumps might struggle a bit, how are you finding it? Grey with Black Leather, sweet!

Got to admit I was a little skeptical when I ordered and also a little worried as I ordered blind. I'd never driven an A5 and was quoted a 3 month wait for a 3.0TDi test drive and nobody could tell me when they could get a 1.8T (this was for a company car but even my local dealer didn't have a 1.8T I could test drive for private purchase).

Anyway a little maths helped me. Previously I had an A3 2.0TDi DSG which had 140PS power and weighed approx 1450kg. The A5 1.8T weighs less than the A3 at 1395kg and has 170PS power so the 1.8T in the A5 has a significantly better power to weight ratio than the A3 2.0TDI.

Now the car's arrived I'm still really surprised at how quickly the 1.8T shifts the A5. I guess the A5 looks deceiving, it looks fairly large but it's not all that heavy.

This A5 is noticeably faster than my A3 and it's in a completely different league so far as comfort and refinement go. It really is a fantastic cruiser on the motorways but it's still pretty nimble on the quieter As and Bs.

If you're after an out and out sports coupe that pins everyone into their seats when you accelerate away then the 1.8T won't be your thing - it's fast but not that sort of "fighter pilot" experience that some cars give. The guys over on A5OC with the bigger engined A5's seem delighted with their 3.0TDi, 3.2FSI and V8 S5's. Everyone with the 1.8T seems to agree that it's still a surprisingly good fit for the car.

It'll be interesting to see what Audi do with other engines ... my A5 service manual already contains servicing details for a 2.0TDi but as yet there's no indication from Audi as to when this will arrive. To be honest, looking at the stats for 2.0TDi in the new A4, this is likely to be the dog out of all the engines if Audi keep to the same stats. There's also talk of a 2.0TFSi which'll have 208BHP which sounds pretty interesting but again, no hard facts on when this will actually go into production.

Given the lack of any new engines and the fact that waiting lists are getting up to 6 months, I'm really pleased with my decision to order blind and now the car's here it's just fantastic.

Haven't got a A5, but just picked up a 1.8T in a A3 sportback with DSG today. Great engine and gearbox combination, very quick and sounds great. Will defo get a remap soon and am sure it will take it to the next level (have experience with tuned 1.8T VAG engines in cars). The last few cars I have owned have all been 300 hp+ cars, got this for my wife but I think I will be driving it alot more.

DSG ... lucky. I've just come from an A3 sportback which had DSG and it's the one thing I'm missing in my new A5. A little internet reading suggests that DSG is finally coming in a longitudinal offering which means we'll see it on the A4, A5 and Q5 as a min. It's no longer and A3/TT exclusive.

One day all cars will be made like this :)

DSG ... lucky. I've just come from an A3 sportback which had DSG and it's the one thing I'm missing in my new A5. A little internet reading suggests that DSG is finally coming in a longitudinal offering which means we'll see it on the A4, A5 and Q5 as a min. It's no longer and A3/TT exclusive.

One day all cars will be made like this :)

Done some more miles in the car now, the DSG box is even better than I initial impressions. I wish other manufacturers like BMW & Mercedes produced something like this, I got so fed up with the rubbish box on my SLK55 AMG I got rid after 7 months.

Cheers Tuff little unit ill get some costings because with the delivery times I may be able to up spec :hi: