Charging using medium (22kW) and fast/rapid (50kW) charging points

jetron

Reaction score
While I have raised this issue before back in the early days (18th March) of the Audi A3 e-tron thread, I have persevered and followed up with Audi UK.

Yesterday Audi UK called me to confirm that the e-tron was compatible with both 22kW and 50kW public charging points, but the incompatibility with the Ecotricity fast/rapid AC charger was due to their particular configuration.

I have asked them to send this through to me in writing so that I can take it further with Ecotricity.

Can any of you fellow e-tron owners advise of your experiences with other fast/rapid (43kW/50kW) AC chargers. I am particularly interested in trying to establish if there has been success with other charging networks, but any additional evidence to support my attempts to progress this matter with Ecotricity would be appreciated.

While I have raised this issue before back in the early days (18th March) of the Audi A3 e-tron thread, I have persevered and followed up with Audi UK.

Yesterday Audi UK called me to confirm that the e-tron was compatible with both 22kW and 50kW public charging points, but the incompatibility with the Ecotricity fast/rapid AC charger was due to their particular configuration.

I have asked them to send this through to me in writing so that I can take it further with Ecotricity.

Can any of you fellow e-tron owners advise of your experiences with other fast/rapid (43kW/50kW) AC chargers. I am particularly interested in trying to establish if there has been success with other charging networks, but any additional evidence to support my attempts to progress this matter with Ecotricity would be appreciated.

Hi Jetron

I have regularly used the ecotricity rapid a/c charge points to charge my etron at both Ikea and the M1 service stations without issue.

Apologies if Im asking the obvious but has your RFID card been correctly configured by Ecotricity to use the rapid AC ? I only ask becuase there was a driver struggling to charge his Leaf and with only 5 miles range left was getting rather ****** with customer services. To cut a long story short they had only configured the RFID card to work with the AC and not DC.

Hi Jetron

I have regularly used the ecotricity rapid a/c charge points to charge my etron at both Ikea and the M1 service stations without issue.

Apologies if Im asking the obvious but has your RFID card been correctly configured by Ecotricity to use the rapid AC ? I only ask becuase there was a driver struggling to charge his Leaf and with only 5 miles range left was getting rather ****** with customer services. To cut a long story short they had only configured the RFID card to work with the AC and not DC.
Thanks @Tenhourslater for the feedback. I don't know if my card has been configured correctly. It works on the medium charger OK and appeared to work on the rapid/fast charger for the first minute or two but no power was consumed. I will check with Ecotricity when this long awaited letter from Audi shows up :smirk:

Just checking, also, that you know that the A3 e-Tron won't charge any faster from a "medium" or "fast" charge point - the onboard charger in the car is single-phase AC 3.6kW. The charge interface on the charger end is supposed to be standard and controlled through a data interface in the cable, so you should be able to use these chargers. But the only benefit is greater locations, not a faster charge.

Also, be aware that ecotricity has set up their fast charging units to only charge one vehicle at a time, even if a unit has more than one plug. So if there's already a vehicle charging, your vehicle will not charge until that one is finished charging or leaves.

Just checking, also, that you know that the A3 e-Tron won't charge any faster from a "medium" or "fast" charge point - the onboard charger in the car is single-phase AC 3.6kW. The charge interface on the charger end is supposed to be standard and controlled through a data interface in the cable, so you should be able to use these chargers. But the only benefit is greater locations, not a faster charge.

Also, be aware that ecotricity has set up their fast charging units to only charge one vehicle at a time, even if a unit has more than one plug. So if there's already a vehicle charging, your vehicle will not charge until that one is finished charging or leaves.
Yes @nub2ski, I was aware of these points. I know from speaking with Ecotricity that they are not rolling out any more medium chargers, hence why it is important to me to be able to avail of their fast/rapid chargers, despite the competition for charging availability.