Changing/upgrading my A6 2001 V8 headlights

CO11K9

Reaction score
I would like to change my old/ stained glass headlights for either brand new replacements or can I slightly upgrade the unit for anything else, I have tried looking on eBay but keep getting told not suitable for your car!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction, as MOT looming and I'm worried they may fail it!!!!!! Thankyou Kevin

Have you tried polishing them to remove any lacquer peel? This is the cheapest way of solving your problem.

Please see this link

DIY: Headlight restoration walk through

If not I assume you have a pre-facelift model a6 as it is 2001 - therefore you will struggle to upgrade to anything post facelift (after 2002). If it was me I would consider trying to clean up the ones you have, or alternatively find an a6 of the same year at a scrapyard with headlights in better condition and purchase them. They aren't hard to change.

here there are 2001 that are facelift.. like mine.. i think its >7/01 for facelift models
tho mine doesnt have double din navigation.. go figure :)

I have a 2001 that's a facelift, can be confusing when identifying/ordering parts, most other 2001's I've seen are pre-facelift.
As for the headlights you can get a 3M headlight restoration kit to use with a strong electric drill. That's what I plan to do, £30-£40 and a few hours work I think.

i did mine at a friend, before that i tried turtle restoration kit which is done by hand and it did improve but a electric polisher is a must.

how they were after i polished them by hand.. before that were a ton more hazy and yellow, but its still not ok
14wgjsy.jpg

and the other one thats already done.. a bit dirty on the inside, but cant be bothered to open them up just for that

muxtg4.jpg

the pictures dont do it justice fully, live the difference is even bigger :)

oh yeah .. over here it was ~10e for the pair

Last edited:
Reactions: mrnice