Changing the speed limit

Khufu

Reaction score
According to Sky News the Government is planning to up the motorway speed limit to 80 before 2013 :)

Everyone drives @80 anyways these days, I even overtake police cars @80, then dive back into the left lane with no problems at all... they are just making it official I guess!

Everyone drives @80 anyways these days, I even overtake police cars @80, then dive back into the left lane with no problems at all... they are just making it official I guess!
Not everyone its those who slow down to 70ish when they see a patrol car ahead and cause everyone around to concentina that should now be less of a problem.I wonder if its a way of raising more fuel taxes from faster average speeds if everyone now goes over 80

There must be something in it for the goverment, there's no way on earth they'd do something for the good of the motorist. Plus they'll need revenue to cover the huge costs of changing speed camera settings ; ) M25 near me between M3 and M4 for example, lovely 5 lanes wide, nearly always set to 50mph, why? Pointless, maybe another rant thread starting.

Kai

Excellent news if true. I spoke to a traffic officer recently who said that they are all told that the limit is 80 "unofficially" and not to even bother people going 70-80 mph. How true this was I don't know. He also told me that he generally just warns people doing up to 90mph to slow it down a bit in future but over 90 he has no sympathy and does them for it!

I've heard traffic cops say if the road conditions are good and you're not driving like a jerk then they won't tug you if you're going slightly over 80.

Saw this on Traffic Cops recently where they had stopped someone driving a customers Audi TT, they were doing speed checks and said that they wont bother with people if they are marginally over the speed limit even upto 79mph in one case, its when they are 90ish that they are more concerned about it.