Changing rear shocks (bilstein B8s) advice required

Meemo

Reaction score
So I want to give changing me rear shocks and top mounts a stab on my own.
Never done it before but have watched, is it just a case of:

1. Undo 2 bolts up top on top mount
2. Undo third bolt on bottom of Shock
3. Remove shock with top mount
4. Remove Top mount from the (heald on by a nut i think?)
5. Remove dust cover from old shock and transfer to new shock
6. Fix new topmount to new shock and do up nut
7. put bolts all back in

Am I missing any tools i might need? I dont have an impact gun but am getting a new tool kit this week with 3/8, 1/2 ratchet spanners and up to 23mm sockets.

* Ratchet sockets up to 23mm
* Spanners up to 17mm and long reach sockets up to the same
* Low entry jack(need to get axle stands)
* Patience

@olethalb any tips? thinking as i can drop my subframe a little, I could also put the Airlift top mounts on same time (if it isnt too ambitious)

Seems you have everything covered. Only thing I would suggest is putting the jack under the suspension arm it's bolted too just so you don't get any nasty surprises like suspension suddenly dropping.

Reactions: Meemo
Seems you have everything covered. Only thing I would suggest is putting the jack under the suspension arm it's bolted too just so you don't get any nasty surprises like suspension suddenly dropping.
Ah thank you, I would hate for my bags to drop out as I wouldnt know how to ensure they dont leak air putting them back.

I was going to put the axle stands underneath the metal base that holds up the spring/bag and shock. Sound about right?

I don't know much about the air bags but that is a good place to put the jack.

The bottom bolt that secures the shock absorber is tight. You really need a breaker bar The tightening torque on these is 150Nm and 180 degrees extra.
And don't ever get under the car unless it's secure. I lower it onto axle stands and leave the jack under it as well.

The bottom bolt that secures the shock absorber is tight. You really need a breaker bar The tightening torque on these is 150Nm and 180 degrees extra.

Thanks for the info.
I have a telescopic breaker bar, but think it is just a fixed size for my wheel bolts, dont think I can change the socket size.
I also dont have a Torque wrench/bar which i can set the torque value on.. gonna have to add this to the list of thing to add to my toolbox upgrade this month.
One from halfords OK or do you recommend any in particular? If from amazon even better as I have a voucher to burn still.

Something like this would do fine. Silverline are good quality tools.

Thanks for the info.
I have a telescopic breaker bar, but think it is just a fixed size for my wheel bolts, dont think I can change the socket size.
I also dont have a Torque wrench/bar which i can set the torque value on.. gonna have to add this to the list of thing to add to my toolbox upgrade this month.
One from halfords OK or do you recommend any in particular? If from amazon even better as I have a voucher to burn still.

It's 21mm the bottom shocker bolt and as said its tight, i thought mine was going to snap but was ok

ordered a some faithfull 3000kg ratchet axle stands with extra safety pin, and a 1/2 drive torque wrench based on the feed back , thank you :)
Pending delivery

Reactions: EXSpartan36
I got my new torque rench and can barely set it.
I can only get it up to 120 Ish of the 210nm.. And to there took 10 minutes using a cloth for grip and very sore hands :'(
Sounds it be that difficult or should I return it?
I did losen the lock nut first so isn't that
DSC 2443

Well you did warn me that bottom bolt is a fudger!
I have resorted to eating Chocolate and selfies (hoping it is to me what spinach is to popeye)

DSC 2558

Try again in 10...

Reactions: xpoweruk, Chop., RyanJonS4 and 2 others
30 minutes later, got 2 cracks from the bolt and nearly a full rotation... And a face print on my Bumper lol
Sourcing a gun shortly

Reactions: EXSpartan36, Bulldog and rizzini7
Amazing Friends came down with an impact gun and kept me company for a bit :) i absolutely couldn't do it without the gun.
Got one side down and they have kindly left the gun with me so I can do the other side :D

Good on you for having a go. A lot of people don't get as far as you have. If you were standing under the car when it was on a ramp you could easily undo that bottom bolt with the torque wrench. Problem is when you have it on stands it's difficult to get in a good position to get your weight behind undoing the bolt.
Chocolate definitely tastes better than Spinach.

Reactions: spartacus68, Chop. and EXSpartan36
Echoing Karl's comments - fair play for having a shot at it...a lot won't attempt this kin of stuff but it's all about learning and then it becomes second nature.

I remember when I did my first set of pad's - was absolutely bricking it on the test drive :D

Reactions: xpoweruk
Cheers, Once I had the impact gun, was pretty easy, most fiddly part was trying to get the new shock and top mount back in the arch with the space i had to mounouver and not letting it expand. I used the plastic strip from the packaging to Compress it And my jack stand to line it bk up for the bottom bolt, then just cut the plastic.

Took me only 30/40 mins to complete with the gun so i know what I am buying next! Was glad to have some company too! Took advantage and used their combined muscle to tighten it bk up after to 150nvm, i had very little left in me (never skip dinner!)

Reactions: EXSpartan36
Managed the other side :) not yay driven as got too late. But got the other side out and realised one side I can Compress down and it doesn't come bk up (presumed as hydrolic/oil is normal), but side I took out tonight, returns to its start position after Compress (takes a good 30 seconds mind).
Safe to say these was useless and one was naffed, no more fk rubbish for me.

DSC 2572

Lost all my tuck too which makes me sad :( but worth it i hope.

Before
DSC 2567

After

DSC 2575

DSC 2574

Reactions: Ginge247
Those shocks definitely look past there best. Think you might want to invest in some better foot protection as well when working on cars. Those dainty little toes aren't going to get much protection if you drop something.
The rear will sink a little bit when everything has bedded in.

Can't beat doing car maintenance in a pair of socks :D**

**I do not recommend this due to the possibility of broken toes and lack of clean feet for the next 10 years! :)

Reactions: Bulldog
Those shocks definitely look past there best. Think you might want to invest in some better foot protection as well when working on cars. Those dainty little toes aren't going to get much protection if you drop something.
The rear will sink a little bit when everything has bedded in.

Can't beat doing car maintenance in a pair of socks :D**

**I do not recommend this due to the possibility of broken toes and lack of clean feet for the next 10 years! :)

You wont like my reason for taking my shoes off half way... they was new and i noticed they was getting dirty lol