Changing Pads..

G

Goner

The 'check brake pads' message has come up on the dash, i haven't bothered working on my cars before, this time i thought i'd have a go myself, so how hard is it to change all 4 of the pads on my A3?

Do i need a special tool to wind back the caliper to remove the pads?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

Its easy tbh - just need a caliper winder or i just use a vice grip thingy.

Fronts: pull off the clip at the front and undo the 2 bolts at the back and the caliper should fall off.

If its wedged as the pads are holding it on, wedge a flat head screw driver against the pad and disc to loosen it up abit..

wind pistons back (leave the pads on so you dont damage the piston or some winder thingys have a plate on them already).

Cooper grease the arms and the back of the pad and stick them back in the caliper.

Bolt the caliper on.

Clip the metal bit on the front back in.

Press the brake pedal while the cars on a few times and voila!

Not done my rear ones but it will be similar to the fronts bar the metal clip and there will be a handbrake. You dont have to remove the cable but just make sure the handbrake is off.

:D

Cheers Kaz, are all the pads managed linked to the cars computer, the reason i ask is because i will have to buy special pads with the contact in them so when they get low again the sensor in the car will come on.. Is it just the fronts that are managed or all four?

Thanks

Just bought pads for all of my wheels and it appears that there is only one pad out of the eight with a sensor..

only the fronts have a sensor from what i can remember? And some cars only have a sensor on one side as the theory is you must always replace in axle pairs for safety reasons.

You don't even need a winder! Prior to undoing the 2 rear bolts, just wiggle a wide large flat blade screwdriver between the pad and piston and slowly lever it back. (take the top off the brake master cylinder first). Always pump the pedal up after each side has been replaced. The rears may need a winder, although I have always managed with a large pair of molegrips.
regards
dave

On the fronts, there's one sensor.

Never tried the screwdriver method but i remember seeing a mechanic doing it but knowing me, I'd probs leave a nice gouge mark in my disc or break something!

Thanks for the replies, getting a few prices together for pads all round.. There not cheap are they!?

Never tried the screwdriver method but i remember seeing a mechanic doing it but knowing me, I'd probs leave a nice gouge mark in my disc or break something!

As long as you apply pressure slowly there should be no probs! I always take the top off the master cylinder because if it's been topped up, then it will overflow when you push the piston back in..
regards
dave

rear pads will probally be ok when the front pads wear out the rears normally have 30-50 % wear left. The fronts may require a 7mm allen key and are easy to change. the rears are easier to do with the wind back tool. Dont forget to take the top off the brake fluid resoviour and keep a eye on it after pushing each caliper back.

What sort of milage have you done as the pads seem to be that hard now that often you need to do discs and pads when the pads wear out.

Try GSF for parts I think pads are about £50 a set. Where in west Yorkshire are you ?? Im near emley moor mast but own a 2002 S3 so may be slightly different

rear pads will probally be ok when the front pads wear out the rears normally have 30-50 % wear left. The fronts may require a 7mm allen key and are easy to change. the rears are easier to do with the wind back tool. Dont forget to take the top off the brake fluid resoviour and keep a eye on it after pushing each caliper back.

What sort of milage have you done as the pads seem to be that hard now that often you need to do discs and pads when the pads wear out.

Try GSF for parts I think pads are about £50 a set. Where in west Yorkshire are you ?? Im near emley moor mast but own a 2002 S3 so may be slightly different

Emley Moor not far at all from, I'm from Bradford/Keighley..
Huddersfield Town fan before you ask if I'm Bradford or even worse, Leeds! :haha:

I'll phone GSF and see what they price me, the car has done 67K.. Advisory at last MOT was that the rear pads were getting low, i have just bought the car and it's had a fresh ticket, my guess is that the rears will have been changed, however I'm going to do them again along with the fronts just so i know that they are spot on.

Looks like I'll be buying the wind back tool also then.

Thanks for the reply.