Changing mounts on 2.5 V6 ... help please

mattm

BLACK EDITION
Reaction score
Hi all, looking to change all/any accessible mounts on my 2.5 which I think are causing some horrible shaking/clunking on setting off. First thought it was the clutch but I am now leaning to the mounts as the whole car is vibrating and it only clunks/shakes when setting off. If it isn't the mounts i'll do the clutch afterwards.

Anyway.. searched a lot and can't find any detailed information or guides to changing the mounts on these cars?

Any help or links much appreciated.

Matt

None are that hard to replace
It's been a long time since I did mine so some of the info may be slightly wrong but it gives you an idea.
Make sure you support the car properly with Axel stands and make sure that engine is supported correctly when removing the mounts!

O/s side mount
remove the airbox completely to get at the top nut
Undo the top nut (its tight to get to but is doable, may need a flexy bit iirc)
then remove the undertray
Undo the anti roll bar brackets
Support the engine either with a jack with some wood on top or and engine hoist.
Undo the large alloy mount that the bottom of the engine mount is attached to, think it's held on with 3 18mm bolts (ARB bracket is attached to it as well hence removing that)
The mount should now drop out with the alloy part
Unbolt the nut from the bottom of the mount
Fit new mount.

N/S mount
Remove undertray
Remove anti roll car bracket
Support the engine
Reach up and your be able to get a spanner on the top engine mount nut from underneath
Again undo the alloy mount attached to the engine mount (3 18mm bolts)
Mount should now drop away, remove the engine mount and replace.

Snub mount
Undo the 3 Allen bolts attache d to the front panel
Undo the 3 (13mm I think) bolts from the bracket on the engine
Abit of wobbling and swearing your be able to menouver the snub mount and housing out.
Replace the mount and refit
This is a pig of a mount to replace
only due to having limited space to get the thing out. First time took me 2 hours, second time took me 20 mins! So it depends.

Gearbox mount
Support the gearbox
Undo the bolt on the gearbox mount attaching it to the gearbox
Remove the (4 I think 18mm bolts) from the gearbox cradle, the cradle then should drop down with the gearbox mount attached
Replace the mount and refit in reverse

Reactions: Sprinter2012 and mattm
So does anyone know if I need 1x non sensor mount and 1x sensor mount? or can I fit 2x non sensor mounts? I am seeing side specific mounts and the sensor one costs more, naturally.

cheers

Forgot that, My 2.5 has both mounts with sensors. People say you can fit non sensor mounts and it will just log a code on the ECU for a faulty engine mount but won't throw a CEL

Reactions: mattm
Mine has sensors on both mounts and have replaced one with a non sensor version off a B5 and I just get an error as expected and no CEL light as mentioned.

I am planning on adding a resistor or some have just chopped the motor part off the old mount and plugged it back in to stop the error logging also

Reactions: mattm