Changing front brake pads!

Seen this on youtube last night - great video. I'm firm believer in a little DIY if confident & able to do so - I can only imagine what the Audi dealers would charge for this :scared2:

Seen this on youtube last night - great video. I'm firm believer in a little DIY if confident & able to do so - I can only imagine what the Audi dealers would charge for this :scared2:

Thanks matey! Yeh audi quoted me something crazy during last service last month so I thought I'd do it myself but keep the yearly 12k service with them for peace of mind and audi online service stamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the better YouTube guides around but it’s also worth applying copper grease to the pad contact faces on the calliper carrier brackets, ie the area that these faces contact .....
IMG 4245

Reactions: pburv
One of the better YouTube guides around but it’s also worth applying copper grease to the pad contact faces on the calliper carrier brackets, ie the area that these faces contact .....
View attachment 128763

Appreciated rob!

I did so that, did I not sure it on camera? I always grease those areas

Reactions: Rob2k68
Great vid Tim!

Is it right that doing the rears is a whole load different kettle of fish ?. Having the electronic brake to deal with etc etc

I'm far too scared to mess things up like this. Should really learn as it could save me hundreds over my lifetime.

Are the back ones the same or do they need anything special with it having an electronic handbrake ??

Rears required a piston wind back tool and VCDS/Carista/OBD11 to put the EPB in friction pad replacement mode.

Rears are a little trickier plus you need the piston wind back tool.

If anyone is contemplating doing the rears themselves then I strongly recommend reading this first :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-needed-epb-do-i-need-a-new-calliper.295464/

The fronts seem easy enough. I've read you should replace the calliper bolt, is this really needed?? The rears I'll just pay to have done as I wouldn't want to mess them up. Think i payed a mobile machanic 60 quid to come fit my last ones on my old car

The fronts seem easy enough. I've read you should replace the calliper bolt, is this really needed?? The rears I'll just pay to have done as I wouldn't want to mess them up. Think i payed a mobile machanic 60 quid to come fit my last ones on my old car

Yeah good call.

Caliper carrier bolts are single use but you only need to replace these when changing the discs not the pads.

Yes mate, tears are slightly trickier but VCDS and wind back safe a few ££ if you already have the program and tool like I do

Hi is this the same process for 2015 Audi s3 8v?

Hi is this the same process for 2015 Audi s3 8v?

Yes same process. Prob worth replacing the bolts that hold the caliper / piston carrier in place as well. 35NM torque setting... Minimal cost.

Reactions: honda ctr and TimWills28
I saw a video for the rears and if I remember correctly, you connect a battery charger to the battery firstly to make sure the voltage doesn't drop and screw up the handbrake motor and caliper. You then put the handbrake on, then off, then you need to move the handbrake motor back with VCDS and then you can just push the pistons back. You don't need a rewind tool.

Is it not a push back piston, or are the grooves and marking on it to be wound back in?

Grooves are there for the wind back tool which is required but on mine it still wasn’t far enough back to fit the new pads so I had to push it in the last 1/4 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grooves are there for the wind back tool which is required but on mine it still wasn’t far enough back to fit the new pads so I had to push it in the last 1/4 inch.

looks like i should invest in a new wind back kit! (my last set got stolen!!!)

looks like i should invest in a new wind back kit! (my last set got stolen!!!)

Oh no !! I bought a cheapish universal one from amazon which has about every adaptor under the sun and probably some for cars that haven’t even been invented yet !!!

Oh no !! I bought a cheapish universal one from amazon which has about every adaptor under the sun and probably some for cars that haven’t even been invented yet !!!

i think I'm better off going down the cheaper route now I'm out of the motor trade.

how is revo stage 2? I'm looking at their stage 3 package!

i think I'm better off going down the cheaper route now I'm out of the motor trade.

how is revo stage 2? I'm looking at their stage 3 package!

Stage 2 is/was epic in combo with CTS boost hoses, DV+ etc but now I’m stock ready to trade it in. Shame really would have liked to have seen it out and gone all out with the bigger turbo. Revo stage 3 looks appealing especially when you trade in your existing turbo .

Stage 2 is/was epic in combo with CTS boost hoses, DV+ etc but now I’m stock ready to trade it in. Shame really would have liked to have seen it out and gone all out with the bigger turbo. Revo stage 3 looks appealing especially when you trade in your existing turbo .

its the turbo exchange cost that has caught my attention! Id like to use all their products but the price of their full carbon series is eye watering!

I am Revo stage 2 with revo FMIC and full Carbon Intake and enjoying it, although after being at the Pod on Sunday I need stage 3 in my life.

I drive a 14 plate S3 8V - will it warn me when the brake pads need replacing?
Your car will have "wear sensor(s)" which illuminate a dash warning light at about 2mm of pad thickness (11mm new). The problem with relying on this is that not every pad incorporates a pad wear sensor and pads can wear at slightly different rates. In an ideal World pads need to be inspected regularly at services and changed at about 3mm.