1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues - 21/07/18

Please accept our apologies for difficulties you may be experiencing using the site today.
    We are aware of a technical issue and are working to resolve it. There may be more brief outages; we will aim to keep disruption to a minimum, but unfortunately some is inevitable in order to resolve the issue with minimum delay.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Changing from Pirelli to MPS4s advice....

penetrator Jul 13, 2018

1. penetrator

penetrator Active Member

so I’m thinking of changing to MPS4s and binning the Pirelli’s, has anybody done this? Now I’m unsure whether to change like for like on the staggered setup (FL RS3) 255/30/19 front 235/30/19 rear or just go 235/35/9 all around?
    If I go with the square setup will the tyres fit ok considering the fronts are meant for 255 tyres and not the 235?
    Any help or advice is most welcome gents. Cheers.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Seanix

Seanix Member

The mps4s is a good tyre. They are also wider than the oem tyres size for size.
    The ps4s in 235 will be about the equivalent of Pzero 245 if not wider.

I'm running ps4s 255/30 all round.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform

You'll be putting a 235 tyre on a 8.5J wheel, while its ok to do so, you won't have much if any rim protection

penetrator likes this.
  5. penetrator

penetrator Active Member

Are you running this tyre size on OEM wheels? The staggered setup?

6. penetrator

penetrator Active Member

True but if the MPS4s is wider naturally as @Seanix said it shouldn’t be that bad.

7. Seanix

Seanix Member

Sorry mate I should have clarified, I'm on aftermarket wheels.

Here is my car.

More photos on Instagram - melbourne_rs3

Cheers [​IMG]

Ellski, Pinky1959, AB RS3 and 4 others like this.
  8. Toshers

Toshers Member Team Nardo TFSI Owners Group Audi RS3

Seanix, lovely car! That looks superb :rockwoot:

penetrator and Seanix like this.
  9. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

Cant vouch for the set-up but can vouch for MPS4s. They are a far superior tyre than Pirelli in my experience. In fact Pirellis are the worst tyre I've ever had and they've came on quite a few of my cars. You won't go wrong on those.

PS - What wheels are those? They're gorgeous!

10. Slowracer

Slowracer Member

I’d like to know the wheel spec as well. You’ve have the car lowered? What suspension setup please?

penetrator likes this.
  11. Powerenhancer

Powerenhancer Active Member

Did an owner post a while ago that Michelin confirmed the MPS4 is not suited to the RS3? He tried them and had no end of problems with the TC kicking in.

monopole likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. s114hed

s114hed Member

Was about to say the same thing. Michelin confirmed there was traction issues on the RS3 with PS4S.

At the moment, best tire out there imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Seanix

Seanix Member

Gents, to be fair to the OP I am happy to answer any questions about my setup. Feel free to msg me here or on Instagram.

Now back the the ps4s, Ive had them on my old rs3 as well. No issues with TC lights.
    I know of several rs3 owners running these tyres on aftermarket wheels. It's the most common choice without a doubt.

Only negative I've found about the ps4s is the noise and firmer ride. Other than that it's a brilliant tyre

Can someone shed light on the TC issues and any solutions for this.

Thanks.

15. monopole

monopole reformation proclamation Team Floret Silver Audi RS3 Sportback

Yes, and at the same time I believe they said Michelin were looking at making an AO or RO2 specific 4S to suit the RS3, not sure how that has progressed?

The FL may even by naturally suited to the 4S anyway due the changes in drive and transmission, still.. I've absolutely zero issues with p-zero RO2 so will be sticking with them with my FL as I did with my PFL.

T-800 and penetrator like this.
  16. James 123

James 123 Active Member

It wasn't me that posted, but can confirm on my 8v pfl that putting them on did nothing but set my tc off constantly. At best part of £800 too, wasn't impressed as switched from contis which imo are the much better suited tyre.

17. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

I’m still on the pzeros, find them Absolutely fine for fast road driving around the twisty’s etc. The only thing I can draw from this is that if you are finding the pzeros are not gripping that well,are you pushing the car abit to much around the bends perhaps? When straight road driving is the road surface effecting the straight line grip?

Be interested to hear people’s thoughts on this and not turn it into ‘I’m Lewis Hamilton I hit bends at speed,and what’ answers:thumbs up:

AudiNutta, Marshy and T-800 like this.
  18. JamesCrs3

JamesCrs3 Active Member

The PS4S change the whole handling characteristics of the car, not just about grip really. The pirellis can handle 1.2g's easy but you just have try the PS4S, it's hard to explain but they just totally change the way the car feels.

penetrator likes this.
  19. Powerenhancer

Hi have 300 miles now on mine and the tc is kicking in at moderate acceleration so something isn't right. That's on the stock pzeros. I think it struggles with a staggered setup.

penetrator likes this.
  20. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Audi RS4

Just press esc button and it stops.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Powerenhancer and AudiNutta like this.
  21. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Sportback

All the S3’s and RS3’s are the same and the S3’s aren’t staggered

Powerenhancer likes this.
  22. Powerenhancer

Yep, been doing just that but it shouldn't be happening at 50% throttle in an almost straight line in hot, dry weather.

23. Powerenhancer

Interesting. I wonder how the pss4 performed with the tc off?

24. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Sportback

Lots of stuff these cars do that they shouldn’t, Audi are a waste of time in investigating it... computer says no.

25. Ellski

Ellski Member

Ive got continental sport contact 6's on a staggered setup.

Road noise is OK and they seem have a decent amount of grip but I do find that the car wants to wonder around a bit and you find yourself having to correct the steering quite often.

Has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1s?

penetrator likes this.
  26. jimojameso

jimojameso Active Member Team Nardo Section Mod Audi RS3 TTRS

I have PS4S on my PFL and have had no TC issues at all. I do have my car in ESP sport all the time but even when i forget to whack the button i still havent had any TC lights.

These tyres have transformed the handling. As said above they come up a lot wider. I would definitely go for the PS4S. :)

Callum66 likes this.
  27. Powerenhancer

Square or staggered set-up?

28. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Daytona Gold Supporter Team Ara Blue

Do you know if this was specific to the RS3 only, or is it the same for the S3 as well?

29. jimojameso

jimojameso Active Member Team Nardo Section Mod Audi RS3 TTRS

Staggered.

30. Neil_79

Neil_79 New Member

Hi,

I've been following this and the other Michelin tyre conversations which have been taking place.

Has anyone who has swapped the Pirelli's for the Pilot Sport 4s on a FL SB with a staggered setup on the factor wheels had any problems in terms of TC or the like?

I've had them fitted to my Golf R previously, so I know how good the tyres are, but just want to make sure the quattro system can cope.

31. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform

If you believe Michelin and why would you, they insist the MPS4s are not suitable for the RS3........

However there are a lot of owners who beg to differ with that statement...............

Go on Michelin's website though and they offer the staggered set up option.....so they must've changed tack.