changing dogbone bush (major fail)

s3 jack

Reaction score
Ok so today i thought i would attack the dogbone bush which was on my long todo list and thought this would be an easy 20 miniut task. So i started undoing the 4 bolts, all fine untill i came to the last bolt the right hand one witch i think is bolted onto the subframe and the f**ker snaped :mad:, the head has come off this bolt leaving the threaded part in there.

Any ideas on what i should do

thanks jack

Put a smaller drill bit in and drill it out

i dont think ill be able to get a drill in at the right angle with out damaging the threads

Remove the subframe(which isn't too bad a job) heat up the bolt with a gas blow torch from B&Q and then use mole grips to work it loose.

i dont think ill be able to get a drill in at the right angle with out damaging the threads
Can you not park up on a high kerb or drive onto boards to make it higher,then try and centre punch the middle and use a small drill bit.not easy granted.

Voorhees i think i might have to try this, it is on axle stands at the min. What a major f**k up

Head a few of these stories recently. Serious pita. I had a DP stud snap off a few months ago in the turbo and had to drill it out. Luckily there was just enough thread left to grip a new bolt.

Good luck with getting this out mate.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when i tried changing mine, Lots of heat and molegrips worked a treat

Always a good thing todo^^^^^.......Future ref penetratingfluid to hand and soak any bolts or nuts before attacking the job in hand(just a lil advice which ent no good till next time lol) good luck :icon_thumright:

I did use penatrating fluid before i started but wouldnt budge it. I managed to get the dog bone out with a bit of force as lukily that isnt threaded, unfortunatley the bolt has shered off flush with the subframe so i cant even get a pair of grips in it.
Has anyone ever used screw extractors and now if there any good

Be careful. If you snap an extractor off in the stud it will be even more difficult as you cannot drill them easily.

This is really common on the dogbone mount! It's the bolt corroding to the alloy mount that makes the head snap off, heat the base of the mount up and drive a wedge between the subframe and base of the mount and lever it away. It will eventually slide off the snapped bolt. The snapped stud will simply unscrew by hand! I get this at least once a month on a3's and golfs. Steel bolt + alloy mount + 10 years of salt water, it's no surprise really! Lol