Changing career path @ 36?

.Ben.

Reaction score
[WARNING! First-world problem ahead!] :blink:

I'm just about to turn 36 and I've started to have a bit of a crisis.

I've been unchallenged in my job for some time now and fancy a change to keep me motivated.

I enjoy and am very good at what I do (senior creative producer/ designer/ animator for a vizfx studio), but it doesn't challenge me any more and subsequently, I feel distracted, complacent and -well- bored.

Learning new tools is fun, for a while but the core problem is this: For the industry I'm in, I'm now earning as much as I'm likely to earn, give-or-take inflation and seasonal/ performance-based bonuses. The incentive to push forward and further my career has evaporated, because there's nowhere to now go!

The only option - if I want to earn more and stay in this industry- is for me to start my own company, which I'm not inclined to do. It conflicts with my philosophy on work: I work so that I can live a fulfilling and fun life, rather than working as a hobby. My friends who own their own companies are understandably bound to the lifestyle (workaholics) to minimise and control stress, but their personal lives seem to suffer as a consequence. I don't want that.

Am I too old to be considering a change of career? I've only just collated all of my thoughts into a cohesive 'problem' and I've yet to decide what I'd like to do instead.

Can anyone recommend a good resource for researching new and interesting careers?

I'm kinda going through the same thing, will be 36 this month, I've learnt a lot in the last 12 months of what I plan to go into(which I'm not disclosing). I've been running a take away since 2000, which was a hand me down from my parents, which means I've been in this industry for 20years+, and it was once a goldmine back in the 70-80s, but today, it's a stressful, time consuming business.

Got to admit, I'm very much enjoying learning something new. My income is my primary income for my household, so I need to make sure everything is in place before I jump ship from the business, and sell it on, which my dad(today, over lunch strangely enough), has approved me to do.

2013 is like a do or die year for me, if it all works out, which I'm pretty confident it will, then, I will potentially have much more time to spend with my family, instead of being shackled in this business, where I only have 2 days off over the Xmas period, which is pretty darn busy, and I'm basically too knackered to enjoy it, instead, I just want to put my feet up and rest!

So my opinion is, it's never too late, but just be sure you are confident enough to go the next step, as everyday, is a learning day.

Ben, just imagine you got made redundant tomorrow. (not trying to jinx you), it will leave you no choice but to be spontaneous and take some risks to do what you've always wanted to do. (maybe).

With the economy still uncertain in many businesses, now's not a good time to be spontaneous! planning & preparation is essential if one isn't to become another national statistic with regrets. I'd say you need to be certain you're not just having a personal moment when you feel you need change for change's sake - a 7 year itch, as it were.

Give it time, think about the worst situation you could find yourself in two years from now, plan your exit strategy with one eye on a return to the same industry if it all goes pear shaped! keep your contacts list updated and DO NOT burn bridges if it can be avoided. Let your best understudy know you're going to recommend him\her for promotion - you may need his\her help getting back into your former trade.

Good Luck.

Mid to late thirties is a perfect time to change career, and in fact probably the latest you'd want to do it, sensibly.

I'm planning exactly this, although at the ripe old age of 35. I'm giving up boring accountancy and played out I.T. to become a commodity trader as of next week Monday. The risk is lower for me as it's within the same company/office that I already work in and have already had some exposure to it.

Go for it and good luck.

Well at the ripe old age of 48, I am desperately trying to get a break in the offshore oil and gas industry, but unless your Dad works on there, its nearly impossible. I have spent a small fortune doing all the survival courses and safety courses as well as MJI courses. I am certificated to within an inch of my life, but it does no good. I will get there though. I WILL get there.

Its all ive ever done so all I can say is, consider an emergency service? Mind you...its nothing like it used to be, or indeed should be anymore :( Maybe I should change too lol

Its all ive ever done so all I can say is, consider an emergency service? Mind you...its nothing like it used to be, or indeed should be anymore :( Maybe I should change too lol

Been there, done that, got the warrant card. Ex copper.

Trying a change of career direction too,at 40!Albeit internally with Network rail but not getting anywhere at the moment.Guess they don't want to lose too many guys off the faulting teams.