Changing bulb on rear light cluster A4 Avant

T0m

Reaction score
How do you go about doing it...ive had a look and looks like you have to take off quite a bit of trim is this correct?

Nope - just inside the tailgate there's a round section about the size of a 50p coin, pop that out and there's a screw hidden behind it. Remove that - careful not to drop it! - and you can then get the entire light cluster off and replace the bulb.

Replacement is the opposite procedure.

Also you need to ease the light cluster out sideways, but don't wrench it off as theres a locating pin on the back (towards the front of the car). I use a slim piece of metal covered in gaffer tape to slide down between the light and the bodywork in order to ease it out.

PetrolDave I think you are over-exaggerating your size :). The round cap on my Avant is closer to the size of a 5p coin.

The screw also had a bolthead so either use a magnetic screwdriver or a socket to unscrew it and as stated be careful as if you do drop it a lot of the trim will have to come off to find it.

Or as stated in the manual take it to the stealers :jump:

PetrolDave I think you are over-exaggerating your size :). The round cap on my Avant is closer to the size of a 5p coin.
Me?????

I wrote from memory while at work...

My grey cover is about the size of a 50p!

Looks like they must be different for saloons and avants. My Avants bolts are not 'locked' just fiddly so I bought some spares.

Photo shows spare bolts and cap (and a 5p) :rolleyes:

Picture-1.jpg

The screw also had a bolthead so either use a magnetic screwdriver or a socket to unscrew it and as stated be careful as if you do drop it a lot of the trim will have to come off to find it.

Or as stated in the manual take it to the stealers :jump:

PetrolDave is spot on with the 50p cap size - mine is the same, had them in bits yesterday.
Maybe its different for B6/B7 and saloon/avants?

Either way, dont drop the screws coz you will never find them.

Nope - just inside the tailgate there's a round section about the size of a 50p coin, pop that out and there's a screw hidden behind it. Remove that - careful not to drop it! - and you can then get the entire light cluster off and replace the bulb.

Replacement is the opposite procedure.

couldn't agree more.did this the other day and dropped the screw making a 10 minute job take 2 hours!just make sure the screwdriver is well magnetized,take your time and it's pretty straighforward.
kip:thumbsup: