Changing brakes

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
Hi all,

First call for advice for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm upgrading my brakes from the stock Audi ones. Greenstuff pads for the front and rear are being shipped in the next day or two (ordered them last night), and I'm going to change the disks on the front to be the EBC grooved jobbers (I'm not going to do anything until I get the disks and then change everything at once).

Is it hard to change them? I'm pretty happy doing the pads, as I've had the pleasure of doing them on other cars helped by a trusty Haines manual, but I've never changed a disk before and there's no Haines manual for the A3/S3 that I'm aware of...

So - what's involved?

Cheers

Alex.

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Stanley said:
Hi all,

First call for advice for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm upgrading my brakes from the stock Audi ones. Greenstuff pads for the front and rear are being shipped in the next day or two (ordered them last night), and I'm going to change the disks on the front to be the EBC grooved jobbers (I'm not going to do anything until I get the disks and then change everything at once).

Is it hard to change them? I'm pretty happy doing the pads, as I've had the pleasure of doing them on other cars helped by a trusty Haines manual, but I've never changed a disk before and there's no Haines manual for the A3/S3 that I'm aware of...

So - what's involved?

Cheers

Alex.

[/ QUOTE ]

If im not mistaken, you just tkae the caliper off, and the discm comes off... may need to be persuaded a little (hammer).

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Rich

Yeah i'll correct u mate, remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper onto the hub and support it out of the way. Remove the small phillips screw on the face of the disc and the disc should just come away very easily.
DO make sure u clean both surfaces thoroughly otherwise u'll end up shagging the brakes big styleee !!

Nearly right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

My last two cars I had no end of trouble getting the discs off. All depends on if the little phillips screw loosens or not. If not you can always drill the head off - the screw isn't needed - it just holds it in place when the wheel is off.

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
DO make sure u clean both surfaces thoroughly otherwise u'll end up shagging the brakes big styleee !!

[/ QUOTE ]
OK call me a novice but ... err ... what??!!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So before I put the disks on, clean the surfaces? Is that what you're saying? Is there some kind of solution I can use to do that with?

Cheers

Alex.

ok Novice, when u remove the old disc u will see the hub that it sits against, when u r ready to out your new disc on you have to make sure that hub surface is clean as well as the back surface of the disc where it touches it. Do u follow?? Once the new disc is screwed onto the hub with that small screw, you would ideally use a DTi gauge to check for out of true surface, but lets not go there

Mr Novice No.2 its pretty straight forward if u have saome idea otherwise leave it to ur dealers. Its not as straight forward as removing ur old pads and slapping in the new ones. The piston has to be pushed back too !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Aye a special tool is needed IIRC that pushes the piston up.

I'll leave it to the dealer I think. Although it would be nice to learn.

AL

AL, u can use the special tool but depending on whether they r wind back ones or push ones its still not a deal, can be done with out any special tools.

Does anyone know if there are any manuals on CD for the A3/S3.

the universal question rears its ugly head again.
as for a workshop manual, have not seem one in any language yet

I've always found a large screwdriver works for forcing the pistons back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . My Bro said that the Haynes Rep was in his accessory shop about a month ago and had said that the A3/S3 manual was on the cards too.....

[ QUOTE ]

OK call me a novice but ... err ... what??!!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Alex,
One more thing. You'll need some copper slip grease for the back of the pads.
I guess youve done this before but if not youll need to- Apply a light smear of grease to the rear of the pad,(not the side facing the discs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif) It stops them from squeeling.

[ QUOTE ]
Crafty said:
Wouldn't use carb cleaner to clean the discs, use meths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could even use brake cleaner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

OK well the fronts are done - new discs and pads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Decided to wait to do the rear pads because the light was getting low and I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing (and the light in my garage is crap...)

First impressions: what a difference! Definitely more braking 'feel', and that's before they've bedded in!

Alex.