Changes to the A3 range

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
According to a small article in this weeks Auto Express Audi are making some small changes to the current A3.

"Styling tweaks to the three-door A3, five-door Sportback and A3 convertible include a gloss black finish to the B-pillar, chrome struts on the front bumper air inlets and new alloy wheel designs.
Inside, upgrades include grey dials, a flat-bottomed leather steering wheel as standard and gloss black surround for the sat-nav screen. The updated A3s are due to arrive in dealers in early summer"

Also in the same magazine the car voted as the Top Car in their Driver Power 2010 is the Hyundai i30 which does not say a lot for the survey!!!! The Skoda Octavia(new) comes 3rd, the Golf MkV1 comes 4th. The highest Audi is the Audi TT at 19th followed by the A6 at 32, the A3 at 33 and the A4 at 39.

If the Hyundai i30 can come top it makes you wonder what the drivers of that vehicle had before.

If the Hyundai i30 can come top it makes you wonder what the drivers of that vehicle had before.

A bus pass!

I can only assume the A3 places so low as the owners have higher expectations based on the price tag as they are no worse than any other VAG derivative as a product.

A bus pass!

I can only assume the A3 places so low as the owners have higher expectations based on the price tag as they are no worse than any other VAG derivative as a product.

+ its 7-8 years old now and showing it really..

A bus pass!

I agree. That's where these type of surveys fall down. Drivers of 'lesser' cars generally have a lower expectation and therefore think their cars are great. Those of us who driver an A3 would probably think far less of them. This is the same reason why Skoda cars have come out on top for many years having now been replaced by a Hyundai. My brother happens to drive a Hyundai Getz and having been out with him a couple of times it's not a car I would ever consider.

grey dials? Doh, that'll be our whte LED ones old hat again lol. Could also put the 2nd fbmfsw market on its head :ninja:

I agree. That's where these type of surveys fall down. Drivers of 'lesser' cars generally have a lower expectation and therefore think their cars are great. Those of us who driver an A3 would probably think far less of them. This is the same reason why Skoda cars have come out on top for many years having now been replaced by a Hyundai. My brother happens to drive a Hyundai Getz and having been out with him a couple of times it's not a car I would ever consider.

I do feel embarrassed to say it, as whether I like it or not, the A3 is still a Golf in a very nice frock, but when I get in other brands of car (inc. VAG cars) I find myself thinking 'urghhh, this is ****** awful'.

It's then you truly understand how good the A3 is. Yes it has a couple of rough edges, but if A3 owners had to spend a week in a Hyundai i30 ahead of the survey, then got back in the A3 for a week and filled in the survey, I bet the results for the A3 would be much better!

I think audi owners dont take a lot of notice about silly surveys and i tend to give strange answers to questions anyway just to upset things....?Lets face it, the questions are pretty ****** stupid most of the time.

I do feel embarrassed to say it, as whether I like it or not, the A3 is still a Golf in a very nice frock, but when I get in other brands of car (inc. VAG cars) I find myself thinking 'urghhh, this is ****** awful'.

It's then you truly understand how good the A3 is. Yes it has a couple of rough edges, but if A3 owners had to spend a week in a Hyundai i30 ahead of the survey, then got back in the A3 for a week and filled in the survey, I bet the results for the A3 would be much better!

If you mention on the TT forum that the TT is "a golf in a frock" you would have the hairdressers in a right tizz!

Take your point warren but on that basis you could say that the Aston Martin Vantage is better than a i30 if the owners spent a week in one first...but then the more exclusive the car..the less likely your average Daily sun reader is going to have an accurate opinion of it and thats who these surveys are aimed at. ;)

I suppose the other way of looking at it is the the Golf is an A3 in a cheap frock!!

That will certainly be the case with the next A3/Golf because the A3 will be the first model to use the new VAG platform, followed by the cheaper Golf and then by an even cheaper Skoda and Seat. Lets hope Audi keep up the better interior.

Will the flat bottomed steering wheel be standard on all specs , cheers ?

That's what the article implied but we will have to wait for Audi UK to amend their Price and Spec brochure to be sure. Dealers may have already received some information from them.

I dont really get the whole flat bottomed steering wheel.. looks good, but i generally find it quite akward.. maybe i need some racing driver lessons ;)

I dont really get the whole flat bottomed steering wheel.. looks good, but i generally find it quite akward.. maybe i need some racing driver lessons ;)

It was usually used in race orientated cars where the driver has less space to move their legs when pressing between pedals. It got carried over in to top flight sports cars (like Lambo's), then down in to Audi's RS range, then on the the S cars, then S-Line's, and soon every 1.2TDi base model VAG will be adored with one whether the it has any useful benefit or not.

I had to pay for the privilege back in 2007 as it wasn't standard on the S3 (about £360 I think).

Dave, you forgpt the only worthwhile change................the wing mirror design, the dumbo ears have gone.

Interesting on the FB wheel point. The new RS5 doesn't get FB type wheel, nor does it appear to be an option ?.

Dave, you forgpt the only worthwhile change................the wing mirror design, the dumbo ears have gone.

Interesting on the FB wheel point. The new RS5 doesn't get FB type wheel, nor does it appear to be an option ?.

Thank feck for that, the dumbo ears were not a good look.

The FBMFSW never seems to have been an option on the S5/RS5, and I can't work out why not. Shame as I don't really like the std wheel.

No mention of the wing mirrors in the article I read. If they have changed that's a pity as I quite like the large mirrors especially when I'm driving in mainland Europe.

No mention of the wing mirrors in the article I read. If they have changed that's a pity as I quite like the large mirrors especially when I'm driving in mainland Europe.

I don't think they're much smaller, just better shaped and 'sit' lower aka the S5 version. Better if i'm honest as you can't see / use the top of the nearside one anyway as the A pillar gets in the way. They also fold fully in now too.

I used to hate the look of the Dumbo ears but with 19" rims they don't look so big anymore.

Admittedly the A3 is an ageing platform ...the car's going to end up looking like 'mutton dressed up as lamb'..

Admittedly the A3 is an ageing platform ...the car's going to end up looking like 'mutton dressed up as lamb'..

Agree, with the exception of the mirrors it seems change for change sake. Chrome on the door handles and front grill and switches etc and shiney black / scratchy plastic.............too american for my taste.............blingtastic

Interesting I spoke to to my contact at my dealers this afternoon and he searched in Audi UK for any information about the A3 revisions and could find nothing at all. He also looked at the detailed spec sheets for the 2011 Model Year changes and there was nothing about changes to the A3.

What he did confirm was that the new A3 was due for release in the second half of 2011 so almost certainly at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2011. I visited the last one in 2009 so it looks like I may be going again in 2011.

I thought this thread seserved some pics! The mirrors ae much better IMO, this cars a bit weird though, no fogs but DRL's! I think its to show off the chrome strip where the fogs would normally go, I'm not sure there is anything different interior wise

9125518.jpg

7096544.jpg

6168999.jpg

5684618.jpg

5026146.jpg

I thought this thread seserved some pics! The mirrors ae much better IMO, this cars a bit weird though, no fogs but DRL's! I think its to show off the chrome strip where the fogs would normally go, I'm not sure there is anything different interior wise

6168999.jpg

Bit of extra chrome above and below switching for hazards/ESP etc.

And possibly slimmed down 'grab handles' on the centre console?

Looks to me like the whole console is raked...vents are almost pointing straight up

Looks to me like the whole console is raked...vents are almost pointing straight up

I think that may be just the angle the photo was taken. The S-tonic gear knob looks different. Perhaps Audi have finally decided that fog lights are a waste of time with modern headlights. I've got them on my A3 but I don't think I've ever used them in the 12 months I had it.

Igdos - where did you get the photos from - perhaps I should sent a copy to my dealer!!

Thank feck for that, the dumbo ears were not a good look

You're kidding me, once you use for while, the look really grows on you.

If they have changed that's a pity as I quite like the large mirrors especially when I'm driving in mainland Europe.

Couldnt agree more, the mirrors currently are fantastic for use on roads, such better vision overall aswell.

I don't think they're much smaller, just better shaped and 'sit' lower aka the S5 version. Better if i'm honest as you can't see / use the top of the nearside one anyway as the A pillar gets in the way. They also fold fully in now too.

Yes it appears the newer mirrors are being used across a number of chassis by looks of it.

Agree, with the exception of the mirrors it seems change for change sake. Chrome on the door handles and front grill and switches etc and shiney black / scratchy plastic.............too american for my taste.............blingtastic

I really hope they're not going all americanised as they really have alot to say for themselves for style, damn they make some ugly cars.

The mirrors ae much better IMO, this cars a bit weird though

7096544.jpg

6168999.jpg

Nah mirrors look shorter so the field of vision is returning to the original restrictive ones IMHO.

Whats ****** annoying is I've spent ages putting newer mirrors on & they change again, also they've added the front fitted dsg button which took me while to figure out, shits lol.

Its just another facelift tbh, whats that now, 4, *** audi get a grip.

Is it me or does the whole dash look darker ???

I think that may be just the angle the photo was taken. The S-tonic gear knob looks different. Perhaps Audi have finally decided that fog lights are a waste of time with modern headlights. I've got them on my A3 but I don't think I've ever used them in the 12 months I had it.

Igdos - where did you get the photos from - perhaps I should sent a copy to my dealer!!

It's Lee_R who sourced the photos - didn't pick up on the S-Tronic shifter, they've made it look exactly like a manual.

Not exactly essential changes - the original design has aged really well.

Shifter is just borrowd from the S3 now tbh as this has the frontal facing button, which is borrowed from the MK5 huh & they say the A3 is a class up from MK5 but MK5 has better options.

I followed the link but all I can see are pictures of the original version. Where are the pictures of the revisions?

Well I think the larger mirrors look rather nice. A lot more 'modern' looking, and I would imagine the vision is better to.

I reckon you would be able to see a whole Yarco fat slapper in your mirrors. Currently on mine, just the *** fits . Hang on, is that good or bad?

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the hideous door handles :puke2:

Dealer confmed to me that my Week 22 build will deffo be a facelift version as wil any other current outstanding orders. Fortunately there is nothing I couldn't live with being only minor cosmetic changes. Be interested to know if the flat bottom steering wheel will be standard down to at least Sport version. Have also thought I read that folding mirrors will be standard. How will I stand if I have ordered folders as an option?

So does that mean that any new factory built orders placed from this moment will be face lift , thanks .

So does that mean that any new factory built orders placed from this moment will be face lift , thanks .

I placed my order beginning April .Given most current builds are taking c.3mths minimum then based on what I was told all new orders should be facelifts.

Official Audi press release on Audi site 8 April re A3 facelift.

Dealer confmed to me that my Week 22 build will deffo be a facelift version as wil any other current outstanding orders. Fortunately there is nothing I couldn't live with being only minor cosmetic changes. Be interested to know if the flat bottom steering wheel will be standard down to at least Sport version. Have also thought I read that folding mirrors will be standard. How will I stand if I have ordered folders as an option?

When did you place your order?

I place my order on 13/04/10 does that mean my will be the facelift version?

I think the mirrors are worse, the arms seem alot bigger.