Changed To The Honeycomb Grill

Point_Audi

Vorsprung durch Technik
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I recently decided to change from the Black Edition grill to the honeycomb style similar to the RS5. I ordered the grill from Xenonz and it arrived quickly and very well packaged.

The overall process of swapping the grills was very similar to that of the A4 B8 except there were two bolts on each side holding the bumper on. But overall very easily fitted and I am pleased with the results! :yahoo:

Before:

080835BB-8892-407D-872B-311C2A4BF7D6.jpg

After:
ED66463B-7D8D-445D-AD17-A3045D2CBDE0.jpg

(Ps- Yes the bonnet is not closed in the after photo!) :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Len, Richierich37, ruairi83 and 9 others
@Point_Audi car looks leaner and meaner. Very nice indeed. :)

Reactions: Point_Audi
Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of this and what are the steps for fitting this? I've never tinkered with this kind of thing before.
Do you have a picture of how it looks with the plate attached?

I like the look of that.

Was the Rs grill about £210 posted?

I've not taken a bumper off for years and these new cars have loads more bits attached, roughly how long a job is involved in removing swopping and refitting the bumper please...?

Love the look of these..i think my A5 facelift is crying out for one..

Can i ask, mine like yours in the pic has front mounted parking sensors either side of the reg plate...what happens to these when you fit the Rs5 front grill.

Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of this and what are the steps for fitting this? I've never tinkered with this kind of thing before.
Do you have a picture of how it looks with the plate attached?

I like the look of that.

Was the Rs grill about £210 posted?

I've not taken a bumper off for years and these new cars have loads more bits attached, roughly how long a job is involved in removing swopping and refitting the bumper please...?

Love the look of these..i think my A5 facelift is crying out for one..

I did this to my pre-FL A5 and its pretty simple. You need to remove the bumper which involves removing the under tray, plastic trim under the bonnet and if I remember correctly, 4 nut and bolts; 2 on the each side. You can access these through the wheel arch. They are ****** hard to reach and fiddly though!

Once that is done you need to disconnect the fog lights and temp sensor that sits on the front.

Once the bumper is off, its just a series of torque screws around the edge of the grille. Remove, and swap for new one and reverse steps above and you are done!

My local garage kindly let me use his lift and I also took the wheels off, which made it much easier, but I'm sure its possible on a couple jack stands.

Sounds good to me, its just the parking sensors that have got me wondering..

Think you can specify one with PDC cut outs? Maybe worth shooting an email to Xenonz for clarification.

Thanks for the comments folks!:)

To remove the bumper its the same steps as @DrEskimo mentioned for the facelift. However it is possible to remove the bumper without needing to remove wheels which is handy. You just need to turn the wheel each way to allow access to the bolts through the wheel arch on each side.

As for the parking sensor question @holmefield the holders come fitted and already glued in place!:)

@Craigl This guide was put together by another member @ScottishA4B9 and is a great help! http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...rs4-grille-fitment-step-by-step-guide.209727/. Very similar so it will be useful for you.

Reactions: Len, RS5 JON, Sandra and 2 others
Cheers bud...im tempted with one of these off Fleebay £210 delivered...the Xenonz are £260 delivered..both UK stocked so i wonder what the difference is as i bet there both from the same Chinese Source
Screenshot 20170213 114158

Great improvement to the front end!

Honeycomb grill is on my wishlist but I can't decide between the gloss black or chrome surround to go on a midnight blue car... leaning towards the chrome surround currently...

I ordered and fitted mine about 2 months ago..

I'll add some pics, i didnt use the reg plate plith as it was bulky and mines a shortened front reg plate anyway so just stuck on with strong double sided tape..

I've just bought a 13 plate a5 and I was thinking I'm not doing anything to this one... till now love the look of this now I'm thinking I could just do a few nice mods lol.

Only problem in doing this is the fog light surrounds don't match:sorry:

I fitted mine and they just stood out, so of course I had to change them as well

Before

After

Now thinking that I may change to a black grill with chrome rings.

Reactions: Horia
Only problem in doing this is the fog light surrounds don't match:sorry:

I fitted mine and they just stood out, so of course I had to change them as well

Before

View attachment 125942

After
View attachment 125941

Now thinking that I may change to a black grill with chrome rings.
Makes all the difference with fog light surrounds Definitely would go black grill with chrome rings would look tons better in my opinion. How much moneys did this cost if you don't mind me asking.

I got the main grill for £180 and the fogs for £140, Quattro badge was about £20.

Main grill took @ 2 hours to fit and the fogs were done in @ 20 mins.

I just think a black grill will look a bit more OEM.

I think the gunmetal would better suit a lighter colour car now.

I am looking at getting Honeycomb grill for my b8.5 (2013).

Friends keep telling me to de-chrome and go for a black grill.
I want to chrome-up. I currently have Chrome window surrounds, but want to add brushed silver mirror covers and chrome mesh grille.

I wouldn't say I am a boy racer - and prefer something more classy looking as opposed to sporty.
The car is a Lava Grey.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-20190707-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190707-WA0000.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG-20190707-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190707-WA0001.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 818
I am looking at getting Honeycomb grill for my b8.5 (2013).

Friends keep telling me to de-chrome and go for a black grill.
I want to chrome-up. I currently have Chrome window surrounds, but want to add brushed silver mirror covers and chrome mesh grille.

I wouldn't say I am a boy racer - and prefer something more classy looking as opposed to sporty.
The car is a Lava Grey.

Any thoughts?

It's your car, do what you want to it, as long as you're happy with how it turns out then happy days. :icon thumright:

JG

It's your car, do what you want to it, as long as you're happy with how it turns out then happy days. :icon thumright:

JG

Lol I hate it when people say that.

I guess I am looking for opinions of people who've done this before to inform my opinion.

I know it won't change the drive. But aesthetically.

Lol I hate it when people say that.

I guess I am looking for opinions of people who've done this before to inform my opinion.

I know it won't change the drive. But aesthetically.

I recently bought a chrome RS5 style grille, just waiting for it to arrive. My S5 is black with the chrome window surrounds, silver wing mirrors and silver alloys, so the chrome grille just adds a little 'pop'. I find the black-on-black look to be a bit 'friendly neighbourhood crack dealer' for my taste.

Check out RS5s on Autotrader that are the same colour as your car to see which you think looks better :)

Reactions: CrazeUK
I recently bought a chrome RS5 style grille, just waiting for it to arrive. My S5 is black with the chrome window surrounds, silver wing mirrors and silver alloys, so the chrome grille just adds a little 'pop'. I find the black-on-black look to be a bit 'friendly neighbourhood crack dealer' for my taste.

Check out RS5s on Autotrader that are the same colour as your car to see which you think looks better :)

Where did you get it from? Where you bothered about how good a replica it was?

I find the "I find the black-on-black look to be a bit 'friendly neighbourhood crack dealer' for my taste" funny.

It's exactly what I don't want.

I've also got the chrome surrounds, so want to add brushed mirrors and the grill. I prefer the classier look.

Although my alloys are that weird grey.

This is the closest i could find:
F5b775fed02847408af200b3d5831354
9dc12835e0eb44559db0ddbcfb982a32

Last edited:
Where did you get it from? Where you bothered about how good a replica it was?

I find the "I find the black-on-black look to be a bit 'friendly neighbourhood crack dealer' for my taste" funny.

It's exactly what I don't want.

I've also got the chrome surrounds, so want to add brushed mirrors and the grill. I prefer the classier look.

Although my alloys are that weird grey.

This is the closest i could find:*snip*

I got it through a group buy deal at Ingol works, ended up costing ~£110 all in so if it turns up and looks a bit cheap and plasticky it's not the end of the world and I can probably sell it on eBay. They had all black, black honeycomb with chrome trim and all chrome.

The one reference picture on the group buy deal looked good enough for a punt:
i_view64_gbEllYEO7I.png

If I'm honest, it doesn't look much different than the ones I've seen on eBay, so I would hazard a guess that there's probably just one factory in China that is manufacturing them for the aftermarket and they're being sold by different resellers.

The stock grille on my S5 is definitely plastic but has a nice chrome effect to it, so with any luck the replacement will look just as shiny!

DSC 2377

My father has an RS6 in silver, which looks great with a black honeycomb, but I think it's just a bit much on a black car...

I got it through a group buy deal at Ingol works, ended up costing ~£110 all in so if it turns up and looks a bit cheap and plasticky it's not the end of the world and I can probably sell it on eBay. They had all black, black honeycomb with chrome trim and all chrome.

The one reference picture on the group buy deal looked good enough for a punt:
i_view64_gbEllYEO7I.png

If I'm honest, it doesn't look much different than the ones I've seen on eBay, so I would hazard a guess that there's probably just one factory in China that is manufacturing them for the aftermarket and they're being sold by different resellers.

The stock grille on my S5 is definitely plastic but has a nice chrome effect to it, so with any luck the replacement will look just as shiny!

View attachment 186666

My father has an RS6 in silver, which looks great with a black honeycomb, but I think it's just a bit much on a black car...
Hey @Theophany .
Did it arrive?

How does it look?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Very nice. Now you've tempted me.
I Think originally I was holding back because I was considering swapping the bumper out as mine needs re spraying.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get the respray done to me ;)

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get the respray done to me ;)
My plan was to leave mine with road rash. Buy a used s line bumper, have that sprayed to my colour, then sell my current one off.

Hi all, need some advice. Had a little collision so the front grill of my audi A5 cracked. Was able to get my hands on a honeycomb grill. The area i have circled in the 2nd pic (not my car) is also cracked and broke on my car. I need to get this part but finding it hard to source....or even to know what to ask for. Honeycomb grill can still be installed but it is not very secure as it has nowhere to clip in to on top. Any assistance /advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_214038_resized_20210429_095727569.jpg
    IMG_20210429_214038_resized_20210429_095727569.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20210429_215704_resized_20210429_095727122.jpg
    IMG_20210429_215704_resized_20210429_095727122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190