Changed the Auxillary belts - Lock carrier access info

Neil_S

Reaction score
Got the Serpentine and Airconditioning belts changed today, thought I'd take a few pics to show people the access that you have to play with when the lock carrier is in service position.

Note if you need more access you'll need to drain the coolant and remove the coolant hoses from the bottom of the radiator...

SerpentineAccess1Mar08.jpg

SerpentineAccess2Mar08.jpg

Not much access at all as you can see.

An M8 threaded rod is used to support the lock carrier as shown...

SerpentineRodMar08.jpg

The air conditioning belt wasn't bad, but the Serpentine belt was in a right old state, glad it's done...

SerpentinerOldBeltMar08.jpg

Neil, what engine is this? What does the serpentine belt drive, and what is it's recommended change interval? Does it normally get changed at the same time as the cambelt?

This is the AWX engine (1.9 TDi 130 - 2001). I believe that in some point in 2003 the A4 changed to have a single serpentine belt to drive everything.

The Serpentine belt does the viscous fan, alternator, powered steering (may do some other bits but can't remember).

I asked for the belt to be changed with the timing belt but obviously they didn't do it so had to do this myself.

The Serpentine belt was a piece of cake, a spring loaded tensioner, just get a 19mm spanner and push forward and it slips off easily.

The air con belt was a complete pain in the ****, even with the tensioner fully off I still had to lever it on, the tensioner is also a pain in the **** as you have to apply 25nm torque to a bolt and then tighten two other bolts, all with limited access.