Changed haldex and diff oil - very little haldex oil came out

Jps3290

Reaction score
Dropped the haldex and diff's oil out last night while still warm both at the same time so unsure exactly how much came out but from watching for it drain their was clearly a lot more diff oil.

Anyway refilled and got 1 litre diff oil In as expected and around 800ml haldex oil. Put old oil into a container and both old haldex and diff oil in total was around 1.4 litres. I'm guessing haldex oil was under filled by whoever did it last time possibly by a good 400 ml.

Would this cause any damage? Touch wood never had any issues and currently on 39k miles 2011 model. Was surprised how dirty both oils were with a bit crap coming out the diff as well.

I suppose only time will tell and luckily got another yr warranty left which I hope isn't needed.

Reactions: vag-tech
Dropped the haldex and diff's oil out last night while still warm both at the same time so unsure exactly how much came out but from watching for it drain their was clearly a lot more diff oil.

Anyway refilled and got 1 litre diff oil In as expected and around 800ml haldex oil. Put old oil into a container and both old haldex and diff oil in total was around 1.4 litres. I'm guessing haldex oil was under filled by whoever did it last time possibly by a good 400 ml.

Hello JPS,

Did you perform your oil changes with axle stands? Or did you go to a garage and use a hydraulic lift?
I'm new to my 3.2 Quattro - oil changes are due and I'm curious about the level of difficulty this will present as a DIY job.

Julian

Just on my drive. Jacked up on passenger rear and undone drain plugs. Then dropped car back off trolley jack and left to drain for half an hr while I had a coffee. Car had done a good 50 miles a few minutes prior as well as I'm aware oil is suppose to be warm before you drain it.

To put back in I just Jacked up 1 side and propped with axle stand and used a manual vacuum pump to put back in via fill plug. Was a little slow but managed to get pretty much the required amount In to each. Was 50ml short on haldex oil but it was full and coming back out so quickly put plug back in.

Not actually drove it yet but I'm popping out now just down to shop but do the forsee a problem.

Reactions: mr_pepps
Yes done over 300 miles and no issues. got haldex oil and diff oil for £59. audi were wanting £89 just for Haldex change so u save a decent amountil doing it yourself.

Reactions: mr_pepps
Is the Haldex due every 40k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate your comments.
Thanks

Yes done over 300 miles and no issues. got haldex oil and diff oil for £59. audi were wanting £89 just for Haldex change so u save a decent amountil doing it yourself.

Not sure to be honest. garage told me it was due to 40k and I couldn't find amy thing mentioned in the service history showing it had been done as it's not part of a normal service. I got car with 26k and don't think it had been done. when I asked at last service was told 40k and £89 just for Haldex change. diff would be extra.

Takes a bit more if you change the filter.
As long as the old oil wasn't too discolored it should be fine, same fro rear diff.

No filter to change on my model which is a bonus ;)

I'll have my beak firmly stuck in under the ramps at AVS to try and get a good look at what I can service myself in future.
Initial work and first Haldex oil refresh I'll leave to the pro's.