Change SE suspension to Sports or S-Line?

3dit0r

Reaction score
What would be involved in changing from, say, an SE setup to either Sports or S-Line suspension on an 8V Quattro? Are we talking just springs and dampers, or is it deeper than that (different arms/ARBs/links/bushes, etc.)?

Need to check my options codes sticker, but my Sport Quattro feels like the original owner may have opted for the standard suspension - nice for damping the country roads around here, but a little too soft for sharp handling :racer:

Have a mate who's a great mechanic, so I'd probably get labour for next to nothing, but would need to see how many bits need buying and fitting to see if it's a viable option.

If you're interested I have Sport model springs in my garage that I'd be willing to sell. I swapped them out for Eibach springs instead.

The Sport springs covered approx 7,000 miles

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bear them in mind once I find out the extent of the job!

Anyone have any ideas on this, please? Keen to tighten up the handling, but want to stay genuine Audi while under finance/warranty rather than going third party!

Has the S3 the same suspension as my 1.0TFSI SE?

Firm (hard) suspension is not necessarily the be all and end all with regard to good handling. My first MINI was pretty scary if it hit a bump mid-bend.

Anyone have any ideas on this, please? Keen to tighten up the handling, but want to stay genuine Audi while under finance/warranty rather than going third party!

Modifying a car, even with Audi parts, may not sit well with finance/warranty.

Has the S3 the same suspension as my 1.0TFSI SE?

Firm (hard) suspension is not necessarily the be all and end all with regard to good handling. My first MINI was pretty scary if it hit a bump mid-bend.

Don't know about the S3, but I suspect it would have a lot firmer setup than SE?

Can't speak for Mini suspension, but my previous A4Q Black Edition had a very hard setup and low profile tyres. Was a bit of a tooth rattler on bumpy roads but handling was razor compared to the current setup in my A3Q.

Never found it disconcerting hitting bumps mid-bend in the A4, but I do find excessive body roll and a bit of understeer more bothersome on the A3.

A longer wheel base probably helps stability when hitting a bump mid bend.

Very true! It never felt like it was 'skipping over the bumps' though. Might have been the multi-link front suspension too?

Checked my option codes on the data sticker to see which suspension I actually have factory fitted.

Now I'm more confused than before! The online decoders I found show sports suspension at rear, but don't specify the front type. Codes I have are:

1JC (Rear shock absorption for sports design)

G04 (Front shock absorption)

If the rears are specified as sports, does it mean the fronts must be too, although the decoders don't say that? Surely you wouldn't have sports at rear and standard at front?

Nothing specified about springs. Two other codes might tell ride height, but not sure?

0YF (Weight range 6 installation control only, no requirement forecast)

L31 (Suspension range 31 installation control only, no requirement forecast)

Anyone know any more detail about these codes and what they mean?

Controversial I know, but I'd stick with the SE setup.

My thoughts on SE vs S3, from here; http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/two-days-with-a-poverty-spec-a3-cabrio-s3-broken.312091/

One thing that is quite shocking is just how good the basic suspension is. Where my S3 with Magride will drop off a speedhump and then pitch and wallow in comfort mode, or try to shatter bones in dynamic mode, the SE poverty set-up handles them without any fuss at all. Why can't this low speed damping be carried over to the S cars?

The steering and suspension on this car were also a delight. I don't doubt for a moment that the S3 suspension setup will be far superior in the twisty sections when really going for it, but in every other respect, the SE suspension was a vast improvement. Same goes for the steering. It's a mystery to me why the S3 steering is so lifeless when the system on the entry level A3 is actually pretty good.

Reactions: pburv
Thanks, interesting!

After doing more research last night, I'm almost sure mine's a Sports suspension as standard, not SE.

Ride is excellent, I'm just missing that last little edge of handling. Don't get me wrong, it handles OK, but I've experienced sharper.

To offer and alternative opinion to GSB, I had a loaner A3 (8V) cabriolet last year when my A3Q (8P) was in having work done, and had it for a couple of weeks. The A3Q was a black edition, but of the previous generation, and was hard as nails ride-wise, although handled very well. The A3 Cabriolet was only a few weeks old and fully loaded S-Line, with, iirc, 19" or even 21" rims and the S-Line suspension. I was amazed it had a much more comfortable ride, but still handled well. I remember thinking I wanted to try the S-Line suspension on an 8VQ which wasn't a Cab, as the extra body flex was probably removing a degree of sharpness.

Anyway, looks like I'll stick with sports setup for now, at least until I'm out of warranty/finance. After that I might look at an S-Line setup, if the sports shocks/springs are getting a bit tired.

Having read the rest of your review, I do agree on preferring standard to dynamic steering!

Can you spec S3 or Sports suspension on an SE? Don't forget there are 3 kinds of sports suspension. SE (Normal) - Sport (15mm lower than SE?) and then S3 (20mm lower?) You will easily see if you have Sports or SE suspension. If you compare cars on eBay you will notice the SE is like its on stilts!

Maybe you could register on the Myaudi.com website so you can see your cars specific specs. Mine is on there and accurate.

Reactions: 3dit0r
Thanks, great link- wish I'd known about the MyAudi (now called YourAudi) before I sat typing in 50 option codes in last night!

OK so mine is a sports model and definitely has sports suspension, so the original owner didn't delete the sports setup in favour of SE, which is good.

So yeah, is only be able to change to S-Line to go lower and harder, I guess (not sure if S3 setup can be retrofitted as lots of components are different)?

Glad you got it sorted. Isn't "yourAudi" a different site? I think "your audi" is for when its being made and hasn't been delivered yet where as the "myAudi" site is for your service history etc...

The one I'm on is for sure MyAudi. Link here:

https://login.audi.com/login/#/login

Glad you got the info anyway. At least you won't have to pay out cash for a suspension upgrade :)

Don't know, there was a link for both orders and existing cars, but the Audi UK site directs to YourAudi, whereas your link looks more like a global site? I'll try yours later in case it gives more features, but there's a server error for signups there at the moment.

Yes, interesting to see the full spec, and very glad I'm on at least sports spec suspension as standard! I looked on Ebay and see what you mean about how high up the SE cars are - best keep those inner wheel arches clean :friendly wink:!

Reactions: Ormesome
Sorry, completely OT, but now I've looked through the full spec of my car, how do I tell, e.g. what was included on the Technology Pack, and Navigation System High for my particular order/build date in Nov 2014?

Back ON topic, is it possible to have magnetic ride retrofitted? I think I have most of the other requirements in spec...

Back ON topic, is it possible to have magnetic ride retrofitted? I think I have most of the other requirements in spec...
Anythings possible, but the parts, labour, coding and calibration would be so pricey that it would be cheaper just to buy a car that's already got it.

Reactions: 3dit0r
In that case, once it's out of finance/warranty I'll probably source S-Line suspension.

If that's not feasible I'll just fit a set of these, which sound good -

http://msskits.com/