1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Change s-tronic gearbox oil or not?

thesmileyone Mar 2, 2018

1. thesmileyone

thesmileyone Registered User

Audi say this is sealed for life I believe?

I was thinking of buying this http://www.wavetrac.eu/Motul-Multi-DCTF-1-iter

And doing it myself to my s-tronic box. Which is on 62k now and if sealed for life will never have been changed.

My gearbox changes are super smooth except downshifting manually which can make some shunting noises sometimes, also when coming up to roundabouts in either D or M sometimes when you need to stop then immediately go the gearbox has a hissy fit and you find yourself stuck in the transition period as it figures out what you are trying to do...then finally figures out and catapults you forward a few seconds late... has made for some almost brown seat moments.

None of my other cars did this but they were not 8P3's they were 8P2's with different engines and presumably different gearboxes.

Car is still under warranty for another 10 months though but I believe they won't change gearbox oil at Audi?

When they sold me the car they mentioned the warranty for example if the gearbox goes they will pay towards it...but at an Audi dealer you are looking at half the cost of the car to change gearbox!!! So preventative maintenance makes sense to me?

In a year or two I am planning on making it a sleeper, so K04-064, LSD, sticky tyres, supporting mods, 380hp FWD in a A3 Sport will be quite the sleeper!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

Aren't S- Chronic oil changes every 38k?

4. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

Yeah, DSG service on 8P is every 40k. Some of the things you describe are very common characteristics of DSG... Stopping and then trying to set off again will confuse it - you have to pause between releasing the brake after stopping and allow the clutch to reengage properly before mashing the throttle. Downshifting can be jerky in M, again, if you're in higher revs, etc... Here is a great post on the "DSG Game" that I found massively useful in getting the most out of this box - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

But yeah, I'd change the DSG oil sooner rather than later. Don't really see the point in using anything other than OEM oil for it though. A DSG fluid change and a re-calibration can do wonders for how smooth it becomes. Did for me anyway.

5. RS4B5

RS4B5 5 pots

CHANGE

6. nluk100

nluk100 Registered User

Change your Audi dealer as well as your DSG oil! Did they tell you this or is that just what you have read?