Change of Car below 8K - any suggestions??

fraz

Reaction score
hi all,

looking to replace my A4 with something abit cheaper and different.

must be quick, not to common, reliable and under 8k. Would also like something which i'm not going to lose a fortune on when it comes to resale. Any suggestions folks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Matt, funny you should mention as used to run an Beeza' 8V Gti, well built, didn't handle that well and not fast enough. Alhtough I presume you have the 16v? where'd u get it chipped and what was the increase power vs insurance! and know anywhere i get pick up a decent low mileage example. Also is the handling better on the 16v than the 8V?Regards

whoops - missed the 2001 model bit - so it's the 1.8T same as TT, A3 etc. But can you pick these up for 8 and under already?

reagrds

its the newer shape im talkin about,2001 x or y reg.
my mate's just got one, 20v turbo same engine as my
A3 1.8ts. look left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
very quick indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

i think he paid 8500 but u might be able to get one a bit cheaper ???
also the polo and lupo gti are a good drive !! quite quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

quicker than your A3 then? Lupo pretty cool but too small! what about Fiat Coupe Turbo or an Integrale, anyone any experience. RX-7 tempting but heard bad thing sabout reliabilty??

If it wasn't for the fact you wanted something not too common and with good resale value I'd recommend a Saxo VTS. I'd try a test drive anyway, you might be impressed. The Xsara VTS is another option, great engine, not too common but resale and possibly reliability are dodgy.

The Ibiza sounds a good choice, great engine as we all know (apart from the coilpacks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) and easily tuneable. I think they look quite nice as well.

I've just had a look on Autotrader and you can pick up a high mileage Scooby Impreza Turbo for less than £8000. That would be fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Buy a copy of Autotrader, a bottle of wine and spend the evening making a shortlist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif.

Cheers,

Christian

cheers for the suggestions Christian, particularly like the wine idea!! citroen would be fun but abit girly, xsara plain ugly!

the search continues.....

RX7s are okay, but engines have a fairly short life, 50-60k they need to be freshened up.
They are ****** quick though 265-280ps and similar torque.. If you are lucky it will only be registered as 1.3 as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Erm, what about an early lancer evo ? a 2 or 3 ? they are quite rare and still pretty quick.

I was going to say a cossie, but they are hardly uncommon are they? ditto for saxos etc. Lupo isn't massively popular so I guess thats uncommon.

I have a little experience with the Lancia and Fiat products, My best advice is DONT!
Simple as that, you will love it for two months, like it for a week, bear with it for a week, then hate the piece of S~''# forever after.

Whilst I've been back in the UK for a few days I've had a Fiat Stilo rental car, and all I want to do now is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Gutless, ugly with a hideous interior.....but hey adjustable rear seats.....WHAT A BONUS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Oh yeah and it's going to take make a week or so to get over the backache from the seats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Should of taken the Merc A-class or the 307....... but fancied a change.

Yeah but you have a god given oppertunity to thrash it, crash it, bash it and hurt it, make it bleed and suffer for all those poor saps who gave good money for such a POS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif
The hire one I had for a little while did 70 in 2nd for a full two minutes before the red lights started coming on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
Urgh!!!!!!!!

I suppose you're right, I had it for 3 days and managed to kerb it on numerous occasions (It's hard getting used to driving on the left again!) thrash it round to 7K just after starting, switching off the traction control and wheel spinning it, when there was enough power....so not too often. To top it all off when I dropped it off this morning there was a rather large piece of plastic hanging off of the underside...........All in a days work I suppose.

So based on the above you can tell I'm a responsible person.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The other thing that really PI$$ED me off was the fact I couldn't get the dash clock to stop flashing, I could change the dash language to Spanish or German, but the clock would just not change! I did have a bit of a laugh when the speed alarm came on, and soon figured out how to decommission that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So my honest opinion of the Fiat is;
The Fiat Stilo is a fantastic concept of putting 4 wheels on to a soap box and ensuring that the driver has a truely unexciting and uncomfortable ride, couple this to the vast expanse of nasty plastic and you truly have one of the most diabolical cars on the planet......welcome to hell in a tin can.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't even consider an Intergrale... recipe for HUGE repair bills.

What about a good used Leon Cupra (180bhp, easily chipped to 200+bhp), a 306GTi6, a Golf GTi 1.8T, a 2 year old 206GTi, Renault Clio 172, Mondeo ST200, to name but a few decent used buys?