1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Change of car advice...

Buffwesty Apr 12, 2017

1. Buffwesty

Buffwesty Guest

Good afternoon All.

I am looking for a bit of advice when changing my car soon.

I currently have a 2003 a4 b6 cabriolet, front wheel drive 1.8t. It is the base model but has a few retrofitted extras such as cruise control and led interior lighting etc. 130k miles with manual gearbox.

I am looking to change to a b7 cabriolet, 3.0tdi Quattro Sline with tiptronic auto.

Basically I am looking for views on how the b7 v6 will compare in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

I do all my own basic servicing so am not too worried about that.

Any views will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. OliNix

OliNix Registered User

Depending what mileage watch out for timing chain and tensioner problems, it's at least a £2000 issue if they go you have to drop the whole Powertrain, split engine and transmission as the chains are on the back of the block

Apart from this also check for auto gearbox problems, most of them a have to be rebuilt at around 120k miles, again a £3k transmission rebuild bill.

4. Buffwesty

Buffwesty Guest

Hello.

Thanks for the advice. How would I diagnose such an issue? Is the tensioner and chain rattley if it is on its way out?

Also never had an auto gearbox so what should I look out for that would mean it's not in good shape.

Thanks

5. Jasesapphy

Jasesapphy Active Member VCDS Map User

I would personally go for the best i could afford regards condition, age, milage and history

I got mine on 48K, i drop oil every 10K,

They need a remap as they feel slow without it.

I would DPF and EGR delete through unicorn developemnts for £650, keep regualar maintenance and enjoy.

I have a a late 2008 3.0 TDI Cab with Tip and nearly every option, i got it on 48K, i have enjoyed it so far, modding is addictive LOL

6. Buffwesty

Buffwesty Guest

Hello.

Yes I am addicted to servicing my current cab so will do the same with the new one.

I was going to look into a remap bit was slightly hesitant about reliability?

Also the egr and dpf deletes are they MOT failures and are they physical changes or just deleted from the ECU?

Excuse my ignorance.

Many thanks.

7. OliNix

OliNix Registered User

Yes incessant rattling on start up for the chains.

As far as diagnosing the transmission it is hard to tell, just check shifting performance. I would avoid any around that mileage (or more) that haven't had a rebuilt transmission

8. Jasesapphy

I remapped my 330d at 38k now on 262K
    Dpf gut means they gut he insides but retains the outer, means less hassle down the line, better response and MPG.
    EGR delete means no reserc of exhaust gas means cleaner burn
    Win win, contact rick@unicorn if you need info
    Low milage car with history and keep up on servicing as you seem to do. Buddy
    They need a remap, I couldn't believe I got a 233bhp Audi and it was just so slow compared to mapped 330d.
    Handling and power the BMW is more balanced however with a remap, decent springs and a RS4 rear ARB, it's now great

9. Buffwesty

Buffwesty Guest

Thanks for the heads up.

What's the situation come MOT time with the EGR and DPF missing? Still pass?

10. Jasesapphy

Not missing just gutted, still there so meets visual InspectiOn

11. Buffwesty

Buffwesty Guest

Does the EGR delete pass MOT inpsections as well?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Jasesapphy

14. Mario

Mario Registered User

I would tread carefully on the whole EGR / DPF delete! As VOSA are wising up to people gutting them and are looking to introduce further tests to determine if the DPF is gutted or not as part of the MOT. EGR is needed for the DPF to function properly so they go hand in hand.

MikeSel^ likes this.