Change of Air Filter on A4 1.8T

I

imported_AndyB40

My car was recently in for a warranty job, and my courtesy car for the day was a TT. When I returned I commented to the Service department that the TT's turbo really whistled when accelerating (which I liked). They told me that by simply changing the air filter to a more free flowing one (such as K&N) on my A4 it would produce the designed sound. Can anyone tell me whether this is true or complete rubbish.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies! So my A4 will have this k03 turbo? I have the 190bhp model.

Hmmm they told me not to bother with an induction kit (closed or otherwise) as it sends the Air Intake sensor a little mad.

So it sounds like another good reason for something like an APR chip :)

a panel filter will make no difference too sound, an induction kit will however, i have had a k&n induction kit on mine for a while now and its working fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif whistles like a goodun now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In reply to JayB's quote about K&N filters being heavily oiled i choose to differ on opinion there J. K&N filters come pre oiled and K&N state on their website that through their exstensive independent testing they have never had any MAF failiure issues resulting from their filters. As with many mods its when WE wash them and re oil them they become too oiled because we dont follow the guide lines set out by the manufactures properly Demon Tweeks share the same opinion ! I too had an induction kit on my 2.5 V6 Mondeo which also used the MAF system and i NEVER had any problems with it or the MAF.I have just bought a K&N indution kit for my 1.8T A4 so i will post my findings here later.

AndyB40, i dont think your going to here the Turbo any clearer then through an open cone filter or something like, its about as unrestricted as your going to get.

Good look in your quest for that whistle.

:)