Change Interior Light Bulb

JohnboyC

Reaction score
How do you remove the clear pastic cover to gain access to the two front interior light bulbs that come on when you enter the car.......(in front of the drivers rear view mirror)

The owners manual (about as much use as a chocolate fireguard) says I have to get bulbs changed by a "qualified mechanic".:wtf:

Anyways, thought I would ask as I obviouly don't want to I damage it...so howz it done....

Cheers

This is an instruction for fitting the LED ambient lights, I havent tried it but it looks pretty straightforward to remove the light cover.

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Documents/Ambient LED Install.pdf

I seem to always be resurrecting old threads, sorry! Just a quick question though...the guide you linked to no longer works. Does anyone have it hosted elsewhere, or able to email me a copy please? I really want to do the ambient lights on my b6, and the guide would be handy.

Thanks in advance :)

Its a shame that site went down as there was loads of useful things on there. I haven't got the guide saved, but it's a very easy job. When I get time I can take some pics if you like if no one has posted the link before hand.

There is two clips at the fron of the cover (bit towards you if your sitting in the car) they are about 20mm in from each side.

Just get a small flat head screwdriver and poke it up (said the actress to the bishop!) and try to lever it out. The plastic is quite hard so I doubt you will brake it but just be careful...

There is two clips at the fron of the cover (bit towards you if your sitting in the car) they are about 20mm in from each side.

Just get a small flat head screwdriver and poke it up (said the actress to the bishop!) and try to lever it out. The plastic is quite hard so I doubt you will brake it but just be careful...

Thanks dude! I noticed them yesterday actually, and thought that might be my place of entry, but didn't want to dive in without any advice from others. The wrong place of entry can cause cracking and then nobody is happy. :sob:

I am such a geek, but really can't wait to get my ambient interior lighting done, yipee!

Sorry for another reply, but now that I have my ambient LED's ready to go in, I need to get the job done. Does the clear plastic need to come off first, before the gray surround when doing the front ambient LED's? Just wondering, so that I don't break it, or spend fruitless hours bending/ stretching it to get it off.

And, the holes you drill, do you make them the same size as the black LED mounts, so they poke through to sit flush, or did you leave them smaller, so just the light shines through. (Does that make any sense?)

Thanks

1. Clear plastic off first - gently prize off with wide flat blade screwdriver near ultrasonic vents.
2. Grey/colour coded surround off - small flat blade screwdriver inserted in outer edge near exposed bulbs.
3. Undo 2 torx screws to release light cluster assembly to gain access to connections - panel drops out - clip in ambient light module and connect wires to appropriate connecting pins.
4. In grey plastic drill holes to 6.5mm - hole centres can be marked in pre-marked plastic circles, pilot with a 2mm drill and work up to 6.5mm.

Actual OEM drilled hole size is 6.7mm.

The brightness of the LED's is adjustable with the brightness of the dash gauges for your info. You will need the dash quite bright to get the most of the ambient lighting.

Nice tip, cheers. Although I have no idea how to adjust dash lighting yet, but I will figure that out.

dash lighting is controled by the + & - buttons on the clocks .