CETE Valve controller something to take into consideration before you buy.

Sequence

Reaction score
Had my CETE valve controller on my RS3 for a month now and today it decided to malfunction in the worst of ways possible.
At 70 mph on a dual carriageway the engine shut off as if start stop enabled when you come to a stop, you can imagine how dangerous and scary this can be especially when there was an articulated lorry behind me.I was unable to restart engine while moving so came to a stop in the left hand lane and proceeded to P and cycling the ignition and started, yay back in to life.. for a second until it proceeded to shut off again just as a start stop disabled message appeared this happened 3 times before i twigged that it may be the controller. So stuck at the side of the carriageway i am able to disconnect the controller as i positioned it up behind the small dash panel and the car was back to normal started and continued on with no more issues thankfully.
This controller is now fully removed and it will not be going back on.
lets hope i don't have to much of a battle getting a refund for this quite frankly dangerous controller so just a FYI for anyone interested in one.

Reactions: 123Quattro and Bonstio
Had my CETE valve controller on my RS3 for a month now and today it decided to malfunction in the worst of ways possible.
At 70 mph on a dual carriageway the engine shut off as if start stop enabled when you come to a stop, you can imagine how dangerous and scary this can be especially when there was an articulated lorry behind me.I was unable to restart engine while moving so came to a stop in the left hand lane and proceeded to P and cycling the ignition and started, yay back in to life.. for a second until it proceeded to shut off again just as a start stop disabled message appeared this happened 3 times before i twigged that it may be the controller. So stuck at the side of the carriageway i am able to disconnect the controller as i positioned it up behind the small dash panel and the car was back to normal started and continued on with no more issues thankfully.
lets hope i don't have to much of a battle getting a refund for this quite frankly dangerous controller so just a FYI for anyone interested in one.
Yes I was interested but this makes me think twice. The is for sharing this.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yes I was interested but this makes me think twice. The is for sharing this.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Read many a great review on this controller and i like how it integrates but clearly does not do so in a safe way. go for one with a remote and that connects to the actual valves you wont have an issue like this then.

Never had any trouble with mine.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gussyldr and Naylor92
Read many a great review on this controller and i like how it integrates but clearly does not do so in a safe way. go for one with a remote and that connects to the actual valves you wont have an issue like this then.

The one I used before my ASR valve plugged in directly into the valves and caused a fault in my engine module. It then caused a power loss (had this proven on the dyno, the engine cuts power because it thinks the valves have failed closed), I then swapped to an ASR valve controller which has a remote control and plugs into the CAN network but doesn’t utilise the TC button. It works great. There is also one with a Bluetooth app that’s made by bull-x which looks great. Also think it’s a bit cheaper.

There is also Valve Control by kufatec with APP control. With optional radio remote control. This one isn't very common but seems to have great features. Waiting for my order of it to arrive.

I have one, and reading this is frightning. Can you please keep us up to date with communications from CETE as to the cause of the malfunction....

Reactions: wuta3 and Bonstio
I have one, and reading this is frightning. Can you please keep us up to date with communications from CETE as to the cause of the malfunction....

I have one. I think anything that piggybacks the bus and intercepts/mocks messages like this is janky. I'll probably end up looking for a valve delete of some kind.
Definately keep all us CETE users updated! Sounds like a faulty unit though.

Do all the other ones (except the ones that plug into the valves) not plug in and piggy back in the same way as the CETE one ? Does having one with a remote that doesnt use the dash buttons solve this potential issue ?

I think I heard that the ones that plug into the valves, shows up on the ECU and holds back power. I could be wrong. Anyone know why they would recommend disabling Start/Stop ?

Cete here for nearly 2.5years.

Never had a problem.

Maybe it just doesn’t get on with OPF cars.

I went for the Cete because it uses the ESC button which is something I like.

I’ve still got the VW international Terminator plugs in the garage as I never liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x and Naylor92
This could be a faulty unit, let's not all jump the gun. If you were gonna buy one, buy one ... most have never had any issues and it appears any issues have an ECU failsafe anyway.

Reactions: Terminator x, Naylor92 and 8YARWY

Wow, sorry for your troubles. My thread on they forum had several complaints of CETE controller failures relating the auto stop start function failing being the indicator of the controller no longer operating the valves either from the esc button or by changing modes. A restart after a few minutes generally made it work again. Your issue is potentially very dangerous and seems like it might be related if it is the stop start function causing the shut down. CETE's support is god awful, so I hope you have had a proper reply from them? Please do post the outcome.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cete-valve-control-issues-anyone-else.413367/

My replacement controller has been working correctly (knock wood), but this is pretty disturbing to read. I'll be pulling it off if I ever get round to a tune.

For those who have had no issues, we are all happy for you, but there's more than a couple failures reported now, and very good that people are sharing their experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Naylor92
This could be a faulty unit, let's not all jump the gun. If you were gonna buy one, buy one ... most have never had any issues and it appears any issues have an ECU failsafe anyway.

ECU failsafe? How so? His car stalled.

Wow, sorry for your troubles. My thread on they forum had several complaints of CETE controller failures relating the auto stop start function failing being the indicator of the controller no longer operating the valves either from the esc button or by changing modes. A restart after a few minutes generally made it work again. Your issue is potentially very dangerous and seems like it might be related if it is the stop start function causing the shut down. CETE's support is god awful, so I hope you have had a proper reply from them? Please do post the outcome.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cete-valve-control-issues-anyone-else.413367/

My replacement controller has been working correctly (knock wood), but this is pretty disturbing to read. I'll be pulling it off if I ever get round to a tune.

For those who have had no issues, we are all happy for you, but there's more than a couple failures reported now, and very good that people are sharing their experiences.
I too have had this small issue with mine, it kept the valves fully open and the stop/start button wasn’t lit up like it is when the controller is functioning correctly. I went on a 15 minute drive, turned the car off and waited for everything to power down and it reset itself. It then also did it around a week later, but wasn’t for as long as the first time. Again though, after leaving the car for around 5-10 minutes it reset itself. Nothing too serious but for the money you pay, it should be bulletproof so to speak. Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again and they were just isolated issues.

With regards to sequence, I’m sure that was terrifying as I know I would be scared beyond belief as I usually have my young daughter in the car with me. Hope you get your issue sorted with Cete.

True but it adds balance to the ones that are malfunctioning, also it may pinpoint a certain percentage of what year/PFL FL cars or type / year of Cete box manufacture, but crucially the more that report exact failure symptoms the easier it’ll be to pinpoint.

Reactions: Terminator x

I did note your issues before i purchased mine on the idea that yes things do have faults sometimes and something like your issue not being dangerous and more of an annoyance and the back and forwards of getting it resolved, but never would i have thought this product could cause such a scenario i'm lucky to have been able to fit and now remove it myself anyone that couldn't and would have had it installed by someone else wouldn't have a chance in hell.
I'm also happy for all that has a working system it made a nice difference to low down sound that will now lack until i inevitably map the car.. but regardless of how many working units there are if this kind of fault can occur this system should not be on sale. imagine being on a smart motorway with no shoulder!

I have emailed CETE and they have responded promptly but based on their response i am going to chase down a refund though paypal. Maybe they have a translation issue with understanding me correctly. This is a company more worried about money than life.

Reactions: 1 person
I did note your issues before i purchased mine on the idea that yes things do have faults sometimes and something like your issue not being dangerous and more of an annoyance and the back and forwards of getting it resolved, but never would i have thought this product could cause such a scenario i'm lucky to have been able to fit and now remove it myself anyone that couldn't and would have had it installed by someone else wouldn't have a chance in hell.
I'm also happy for all that has a working system it made a nice difference to low down sound that will now lack until i inevitably map the car.. but regardless of how many working units there are if this kind of fault can occur this system should not be on sale. imagine being on a smart motorway with no shoulder!

I have emailed CETE and they have responded promptly but based on their response i am going to chase down a refund though paypal. Maybe they have a translation issue with understanding me correctly. This is a company more worried about money than life.

That’s a sad state of affairs from Cete.

Customer service should be a priority.

1000's of happy users never posting up how happy they are. 1 user has a problem and everyone has a meltdown. Context matters.

TX.

Reactions: Naylor92 and NevMan
@Sandra can you have a word with this guy? Strange comments on a Cete thread where all I've said is mine works ok.

TX.

Doesn’t even own an RS3, just lurks here adding his 2pence and trying to provoke a response. Sad really.

@Sandra I look forward to your usual (biased) reply. :)
What response have I tried to provoke? My Cete worked fine, fact. Have you got the Cete valve controller? If not why are you on this thread? Sad really.

TX.

Reactions: NevMan
I see no provocation on this post. All that @terminator x has said is that his Cete works. Where is the provocation in that? As a previous RS3 owner he is just having his say. You don’t have to own an RS3 to post in this section.

Reactions: 8YARWY and NevMan
Ok back to the OP problem.

Please take the time to go copy a link to this thread onto Cete’s you tube channel
The more people that do this in their comments box the better the chances they’ll sit up and take notice.

Yes I have one, as I’ve said in this forum previously. I’ve had a few odd issues with it too, but for the most part it works as it should. Sequence’s issues are very serious and obvious a cause for concern for anyone that has one of these controllers. Chiming in with “meltdown” comments is just your usual trolling. Likely you don’t even realise how abrasive you are with your need for attention still trolling forums when you don’t even own an RS3. Seek help.

Now I’ve gone and fed the troll. Sorry folks for going off topic.
One person commented on a problem and many others chime in with "oh look how awful it is" yes a meltdown. There are 1000's of happy owners never telling anyone how good the product is incl yourself by the sound of things. How about you stop trolling me and get a life?

TX.

Reactions: 5pot4banger and Walternate
Not that I care to engage with you, as I know you thrive on the attention, but if you search and read (instead of incessantly sh*t posting) you'll find I've regularly praised the difference a valve controller makes on your much hated OPF cars. I've also had some minor problems, which I've also mentioned in passing in the other CETE thread posted above where several other user reported major failures, as well as serious issues with CETE customer support... and which you also trolled in the same way. I need a life? I'm not the one who sh*t posts worthless, snide comments daily on a forums for cars I don't even own.

Now let's let these folks get back to the mater at hand... though I'm sure you'll need the last word...
I generally don't see what you post as I have you on Ignore. You seem to be one of those internet hard men though, so I'll leave you to it.

TX.

No issues on my pfl or fl. Sound scary though especially if you're on a busy motorway

Wow, I am sorry to hear your experience with CETE customer service was as poor as mine, yours being a far more serious mater. Have they shown any concern or any solution at all? Please keep this thread updated, and hold these guys to account.

@T-1000 mate you were so helpful with my issue in getting a proper reply form CETE, is there anything you can do for Sequence?

Sure these controllers are great when they work, but the customer service alone is reason enough to avoid them IMO. There are other options out there.

Wow, I am sorry to hear your experience with CETE customer service was as poor as mine, yours being a far more serious mater. Have they shown any concern or any solution at all? Please keep this thread updated, and hold these guys to account.

@T-1000 mate you were so helpful with my issue in getting a proper reply form CETE, is there anything you can do for Sequence?

Sure these controllers are great when they work, but the customer service alone is reason enough to avoid them IMO. There are other options out there.

They are useless.

I pasted a link to this thread on Cete’s YT page about the issue but no Responce yet.

As a few people have said they seem very defensive when you email for help.

@Sequence now it's off just check your wires on the Cete where they go in and out of the multi connector blocks are they all inserted into the blocks properly and none are broken where they come out of the blocks are they?

Nothing at all after they flatly refused to refund and just said they could take a look and replace the module that was it, have heard nothing since i am just awaiting paypals response on the case.. i really hope paypal sort it otherwise i don't see these guys helping at all otherwise.

@Sequence now it's off just check your wires on the Cete where they go in and out of the multi connector blocks are they all inserted into the blocks properly and none are broken where they come out of the blocks are they?
Yea all looks fine and when the issue occurred i initially just removed the control module and not the entire loom and it worked fine i later removed the loom also and nothing had broke like the ground strap ect..

Reactions: 8YARWY
Update.

Fortunately paypal have allowed a full refund as long as i return the controller shame CeTe couldn't have just done this in the first place.

Reactions: NevMan, Naylor92, Scottkcollins and 6 others
I’ve just had the same issues again with mine like I did a couple of months or so back. Thought it was an isolated and random thing but turns out it’s not! It’s working again now but I really don’t know what to do with it!?

Update: Just back from a quick drive and my replacement controller just hiccupped, exactly same as my last one. Noticed the stop-start had not remembered its off position, then tried to close the valves and nothing happened, then tried with different mods and again nothing. Stopped the car, locked it for 30 seconds, and then restarted and it's ok again. It had been fine for months.

Same issue as the last one, and I'm not happy. No point in trying another at this point, given the terrible customer service. Going for an MRC tune in the near future and will have the valves hard coded open in dynamic, and remove the controller, problem solved.

These are not worth it given the OP's issues. I recommend others consider ASR or Milltek's controllers instead as these seem to have some problems.