Centre console button removal

GmackS3

Reaction score
I have a 2018 A4 saloon and very stupidly spilt a milkshake in parts of my centre console.
I have got most of it out by removing the trim piece with the volume button on and the ‘decorative surround’ (partially) but cannot figure out how to get the main housing for the parking brake and auto start/stop buttons as there is some behind those buttons that I would like to try and clean.

If anyone knows how to remove the button cluster or just those two buttons it would be very helpful.

I can release the trim in the picture around the bottom but it seems fixed up near the cupholders in so not sure if I need to remove that entirely first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0ada64f8abc86d385e02664054187992.jpg

1ecabc3295a63bf346f9102cf77c1959.jpg

You just gotta pull it up harder. I done this to fit the auto hold button, pretty sure it was just tough to pull up.

Ah. Also pull off the leather top of the gear selector and undo a screw. Then the whole leather boot and lever will come upwards also.

As far as remember the whole unit comes out as one piece including the buttons. Just go gentle but it does require a good pull.

Last edited:
Thanks, I watched the below video which said it all comes out together but mine doesn’t seem to, just the trim I’m holding in the pic but not the bit under it.

I did take the gear stick off, it just went back on to drive it earlier!

Ah cool. The video shows exactly how it should be done. Don’t pull on the bit you got loose or something will break. It really just requires more levering force to lift the whole unit out. They are some fairly sturdy clips holding it down.

I expect the bloke in the video has done it a few times on that car so it may be looser for him !

Thanks.
Got it out! ****** hell that was some force to get it lose.
But, after all that there is no easy way to
Get the button modules out with out, it looks like, breaking a the clips and risking them not sitting right.

Got the worst of it out, just being OCD about the last bits!

Reactions: Steff8