centre caps splitting apart

darrenmarky

Reaction score
hi I'm slowly getting car into decent shape after 2 weeks on the paint correction and now onto fitting refurb wheels ive had done,is there any way of splitting the centre caps and painting as mine look a bit tired,the badge looks an issue if I paint them so any links to decent aftermarket much appreciated
Centre cap

tried myself and it's a non starter, you can get the rings off carefully but the centre section cant be removed, well it can but then the centre cap is useless so don't go there.
cheaper to just get a new set of 4 , plenty around oem and copies , I picked up a set of 4 new oem ones for a £10 last month and another new set of the TT pattern ones also oem for £15.00 , just cant decided which to use ..lol

I would paint all the centre and then use a cotton bud to remove the paint off (whilst still wet) the four rings before buying replacements

these are the other pattern, not sure which I prefer to be honest.
Kkl4

I would paint all the centre and then use a cotton bud to remove the paint off (whilst still wet) the four rings before buying replacements
I've got the rings off ,wether you'd get a clean edge around disc when painted is doubtful I think

A word of caution for you before you buy any , are your alloy wheel oem or aftermarket, I ask this as a lot of the aftermarket alloys are not exactly the same hub cap centre dimesions as the oem alloys and not all the hub caps fit properly...
If you have OEM alloys then oem caps fit fine and pretty well all aftermarket ones do of the correct diameter but not the same can be said if you have adftermarket alloys, not many oem caps fit properly and not all aftermarket ones do, so you'll need to do your homework first before ordering non oem items.

A word of caution for you before you buy any , are your alloy wheel oem or aftermarket, I ask this as a lot of the aftermarket alloys are not exactly the same hub cap centre dimesions as the oem alloys and not all the hub caps fit properly...
If you have OEM alloys then oem caps fit fine and pretty well all aftermarket ones do of the correct diameter but not the same can be said if you have adftermarket alloys, not many oem caps fit properly and not all aftermarket ones do, so you'll need to do your homework first before ordering non oem items.
Genuine 9 spoke alloys

I've got the rings off ,wether you'd get a clean edge around disc when painted is doubtful I think
Two factors for me are what have you got to lose if they are going to be scrap and two is anyone going to be inspecting your alloys that closely to notice ?

very true mate,main issue I have now is this! took spare alloys off to put refurbished ones on and found this,one clean break otherside cracked 3/4 way round,been on a month and car down 20 miles max as spare alloys had bold tyres
IMG 0018180 hr
IMG 0019182 hr

Well that's not good at all chap , but to be honest its not the first set I've seen in that condition, well I have seen a fair few some worse and some about the same.....still an overriding factor why I still haven't fitted any yet, been very close but managed to get by without them.

I'm starting to think the same, monkey metal ! Better of it was machined instead of cast

Ive tried splitting mine but the same as you guys got the silver rings off then thats it im planning on pkasti dip as can cut it to just the middle

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk