Central locking stuck in safe mode

darklyte

It's just a "common problem"
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Had a good long scan and the nearest I found on the forum was in 2004 and no-one answered him, so here goes...

A6 2001 avant, electric style CL units - back door is stuck in safe mode so you can't open the door. anybody know of any tricks (sneaky or not) to get this door open without destroying the door card?

Resetting the CL unit, disconnecting the battery, pressing lock and unlock buttons multiple times doesn't work. Looks like the card definitely has to come off - with the door still closed.

Tony.

Hi mate.

Sometimes on my own A6 when I try to open the door it feels as if the handle is'nt connected to any thing and the door won,t open. When I thump just above the door handle with the palm of my hand it works again!:nunu:

I don't know if this will work with your own car but might be worth a try:happy: .

Karl.

Oh. And welcome to the forum:icon_thumright: .

Thanks for that Karl I'll give it a go today. And thanks for welcoming me. Looks like a good forum here.

Tony.

i'm taking a stab in the dark here and guessing you have the same problem i've just fixed on a 2002 A4 . front passenger door. the locks have 2 motors on them, one to lock the door and another to move a blocking device into position that acts as a deadlock.

there's an over-centre spring that helps the deadlock part move back into the unblocked position. this had gone weak. i ended up fitting a new lock mechanism in the end after numerous goes at retensioning the spring.

anyway, i found that by banging the door panel at the same time as unlocking it with the remote shocked the blocking motor into operating. in anycase i think you might be able to get the trim loose enough with the back seat out to get your hand behind it to operate the lock. it won't come all the way out though because there's a screw at each end of the panel that you can't reach with the door closed.

I had a similar problem with my VW Corrado. I spoke to the dealer who suggested I hit the door with my hand just below the door handle, failing that they suggested pulling off the door card. I spoke to VW UK how suggested the same as the door lock was likely to be stuck. I tried hitting the door but that did not work.
I also tried charging the battery in a hope that the voltage was a bit low. Anyway charging the battery and hitting the door managed to open the door.
One thing you will want to do if you open the door is remove the door card before shutting the door again or change the locking motor. The rear locking motor is about £90 from the dealers.

Hope this helps
Pete Seeva

No luck at all. Pulling the door card off is a no no as it has a lip that sits inside the door lip. So it looks like I will have to destroy the door card. Also I may have to really dig round elsawin to find out how to take the lock off with the door closed as I don't see any way to remove it.

Though I may try the battery on charge at the same time as thumping the door, but I don't hold out much luck. I think this thing is seriously knackered.

Thanks for your hints guys.

Tony.

Hi everyone. Had a good long scan and the nearest I found on the forum was in 2004 and no-one answered him, so here goes...

A6 2001 avant, electric style CL units - back door is stuck in safe mode so you can't open the door. anybody know of any tricks (sneaky or not) to get this door open without destroying the door card?

Resetting the CL unit, disconnecting the battery, pressing lock and unlock buttons multiple times doesn't work. Looks like the card definitely has to come off - with the door still closed.

Tony.
A3 8P removing of the door card will not help in this case, there is no latch click or any lever inside the door that will release the car from safe mode, I have my door card off at the moment on the rear doors, and they will not unsafe.. No way to open the doors.