Central Locking doing my head in! Fuse?

confusionhunter

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Ive suffered the usual Central locking pump failure! First it was running longer then it just went pop taking it with it the interior lights and the electric windows.

So I ordered a replacement pump from ebay and its arrived. I fitted it and its as dead as the last one. Now the listing says it was working fine and I dont want to take that apart to see if the pump is in one peice.

Soooo, I need to check for power. Using a test light and the ignition on only one cable (Red and black) had power. Which doesnt make sense to me.
So I think a fuse will have gone somewhere but Ive been through every single fuse I can find, on the battery tray and the main fuse box next to the drivers side footwell..... I used a multmeter and they all check out ok.

So there is 2 things doing my head in..... My elsawin wiring diagrams don work and I cant find a right hand drive A3 fuse box diagram to check the exact fuses. So is there another fuse box somewhere?

I checked the FAQs and did a post search but could only find reference to fuses I have already checked.....

Also Why the hell would a knckered pump take out the windows and light if it isnt on the same fuse? Mechanical and electrical issues should be seperate?
Any thoughts?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers.
Mark.

Right.... SOrted! I found this diagram

from this link:
VWVortex.com - Here's a list of fuses for MKIV cars (fuse too for search))

Discovered fuse 38 was the culprit, blown but still showed continuity using the top testing 'prongs'.
Unbeleivable..... now I just need to code the remotes and put the car back together..... perfect job for a cold rainy night!
Sorry for the rant......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pubemammal