Center arm rest?

jsosic

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a lot of rattle within/around my center arm rest, which is driving me crazy.

I would like to order new center arm rest and dump this one to f***ing garbage can.

Do you know how can I find part numbers for center arm rest for my VIN?

And do you guys have problems with rattling center arm rest? Did anyone found any way to tighten it or something? Maybe some rubber strips or something?

Mine creaks around too I haven't been able to track it down yet. If you do get a whole new one can I buy the trim for the base leg off you, mines smashed off on one side.

You mean the round plastics that cover the rotational part? Yeah, of course.

It's really a low quality piece, it squeaks, rattles, and generating all kind of noises. It's same in the A4 B7.... I've took it out of the car and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Part number is written on the metal part that screws into the chassis, so I will take it to the stealers to see how much are they gonna charge me for the new one. It's around 160 quids on the ebay.

But even the new one won't be silent so in the long run I should probably dismantle this one, and see exactly what can be done... it's apparently consisted of 3-4 big plastic parts... I will try to keep the thread alive.

It's the bits under the round discs that's I've lost. I have to agree it's not the highest quality it could/should be, mine the lid always slides off to one side which I can see will just break the lid right off one day

The centre arm rest started rattling in the vertical position but was quiet when horizontal. I found the catch which opened the arm rest seemed to be loose when vertical, but gravity held it down in the horizontal position so it didn't rattle. I ended up gluing some felt to provide some packing where the upper and lower parts of the armrest met. This meant the catch is no longer loose and the rattling has stopped.

It took some finding and was driving me mad, Audi's should not rattle.

Good luck finding a cure.

On my last S3, I took the armrest apart and placed a postcard sized piece of 5mm foam approx between the underside of the armrest pocket and the bottom outer skin of the arm rest. A bit of a pig to do, from memory I kind of had to force a gap but cured the creaks.

Another source of creaks in the same area was trim down the passenger side of the cigarrete lighter port. I popped out the cigarette lighter, and filled the gap with another bit of foam.

Fingers crossed, I haven't had the same issue in this car.

Thats about what I'm planning to do, too... But, problem is I broke one of the handles of the center arm rest top part, that rotates and opens it, while I tried to dismantle it :( :-/ But I think superglue will help there.

What kind of foam did you get and from where? Is it a foam in a spray or?

Was just some 5mm foam sheet I had lying around, from some old packaging

My old 8L S3 used to rattle and squeak badly. I bought a roll of felt tape from eBay and just went to town on the dash and any plastics, paying attention to any areas where plastic met other plastic pieces. Took the hole dash apart as well as the door cards.
Took me a weekend of going over the whole cabin, but ended up having no rattles whatsoever after that. Can't recommend felt tape enough for this sort of thing.