CCTV

scobie140

Reaction score
I've been meaning to set up some CCTV outside the house for over a year now. Thought I might pick up a half decent deal in the sales this weekend.
I've been looking at kits like this
https://www.ebuyer.com/879400-ezviz-full-hd-1080p-8-channel-4-x-1080p-bullet-cameras-bd-2824b1
and
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8CH-1080...=18393272766823530027dc1a428b86a8530e7796574d

Anyone got any experience or recommendations of these types of kits?

Not looking at spending a fortune as its more of a deterrent to keep people away form the cars on the drive, the house is pretty safe with an alarm and big dog haha.

You do get what you pay for with this sort of kit to be honest.
I've been running this setup for a few years now and its been excellent, 8 channel unit with 4 Hd bullet cams , and 4 mixed day/night cams with different zoom capabilities.
It silent in operation and more functions that you can shake a stick at , also zone alerts .
Upload 2019 11 28 21 34 54

Reactions: scobie140
I went for an IP HD Swann system. 8 camera system running 4 day and night cameras.

I installed it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 systems you have linked are both coax systems with separate power adaptors. More difficult to wire in as you need power sockets close to the cameras for the power. Also the quality of the video is not as good. Better solution is the HD IP cameras using CAT 5, 6 cable Power Over Ethernet POE.
Only one cable to run to each camera and better resolution / quality . If you want outside coverage at night look for cameras with extended range IR at least 30m. I have a Hikvision system, they make Swann stuff and are a decent make.

Reactions: scobie140 and SamDude
+1 for Hikvision.
Running 4K cameras outside and a 'Cube' inside (living room corner).
All running PoE, so only one cable to each.

I used 2 cable runs of copper cat5 cable, so 8 pairs .
Given I have them all around the property and the closest being approx. 30m away from the DVR box and the furthest approx 100m, all cams need there own power , better in the long run though.
Its been running 24/7 for 5 years now without any problem and works spot on in day or night, word of advise , if a camera located where there is no other form of reflective surface all you will see is blackness at night, if the camera can detect light being reflected back the whole image will be clear albeit in monochrome.
Buy the best kit you can afford really , don't skimp on the quality of the DVR box , if you do you'll regret it.

Baluns for cam and dvr connections.
BNC Video Balun CCTV Over LAN/Ethernet Network Adapter Cable (PAIR)

Last edited:
Cheers for the feed back. Not as simple as I had first thought! Looks like i'll have to have another look and find some deals on IP systems for ease of instillation. Daft question but do you need a 4k device to view the 4k cameras?
My plans were to route all the cables through the loft and just have the cameras mounted on the soffit, although not sure if that would be too high up.

Cheers for the feed back. Not as simple as I had first thought! Looks like i'll have to have another look and find some deals on IP systems for ease of instillation. Daft question but do you need a 4k device to view the 4k cameras?

I view through my laptop or iPhone app (iVMS-4000) which are very sharp (even if not playing at 4K). I can make out faces and read number plates 30/40 metres down the street.

My plans were to route all the cables through the loft and just have the cameras mounted on the soffit, although not sure if that would be too high up.

This is how I have them installed and it is not too high up (it actually gives you a wider view). The DVR box is in the loft and connected to my router via ethernet so I can access everything remotely (without needing to go into the loft).