CCTV systems

Jud

Reaction score
Thought about this before but now, on local Facebook groups there are lots of car break in's & people just walking into people properties also testing if house doors are locked so ... want to install some CCTV, got some companies coming round to give quotes but just wondered what you guys have installed? Seen some on screwfix (swann) but how hard to install?

Any advise would be welcome

Jud

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Don't have CCTV per say, quite a lot of cost with the recording etc. We have one of those ring motion sense cameras, installed up high, with power being routed through the house wall (so can't be cut). Very good bit of kit for not a lot of money.

Reactions: Kondax
I fitted my own system around 10 years ago.

Things have changed a lot since then. The quality has vastly improved, and the cost has dramatically reduced.

I would advise AGAINST going for a wireless system. I know they are MUCH easier to install than wired systems – but they are not as reliable.

It’s Important to get the cameras right for what you want to achieve. (ie take time to understand focal lengths/quality/night vision performance etc)

Have a google and arm yourself with the basics before you allow yourself to be bamboozled by potential installers.:icon thumright:

For cheap and cheerful you could go for one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANNKE-CC...3fc02c5c6:m:m1Na3pAMjoyn6VtxkM_KubA:rk:5:pf:0
All in system including hard drive for £160. Camera wires need running but the system is practically plug and play.
Probably similar to the Swann and has 3 years warranty (if they are still there in that time)
Easily capable of reading a number plate but just a tad grainy.
2.0MP systems better but twice the price.

You pays your money etc.

I use the Arlo Pro2 system and I’ve powered the cameras to give extra features, the selling point for me was the free 7 day cloud recordings and usb backup to the Arlo hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest cctv wont do you much if they want your car cctv wont even put them off as its easy to cover there face etc spend money else where
e.g if you worrid about them getting into your house for keys then a simple alarm with a 120db siren with flood lights
If your worried about they can just use you key signal you have a few opitions like a fob with blocks the signal a good old steeri g lock.
Chances are if you have cctv and get there car they are using it will be a stolen or on false plates.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more with Martin's above post. If they want to get in, they will. If they want your car, the will do everything to get it. No alarms or cctv will help.
Same can be said with mugs, tho. If a mug want to get your wallet, watch or something else, he will. It is near by people you would probably need to rely on, to help.

As for cctv point, I work for a trade cctv equipment distributor. Installers buy from me and the proper installers stay way away from Swann or eBay stuff.
Think of it that way, (example) why did you got yourself high spec 2017/2018 S3?
Normal A3 would've been sufficient, no? It is certainly cheaper. No, it won't cut it because you want that S3. Both will take you from A to B but that nice S3 will do it better.
So, good cctv equipment will give you something more that cheap stuff will not.
Technology nowadays has progressed so much that you can get great cameras and recorder for not much more than Screwfix is offering.
Want to install it yourself? Cool with that also.
Would you mess about with your nice S3 or give it to mechanics, although you "have an idea" how to do it?
Labour for installation is not cheap. Must say. That's where the knowledge, warranty and support come in.

If anyone want a quote for the cctv, I can get local installer in contact. We have customers all over UK and Ireland.
If you would like an advice on equipment, can do that also.
Also being said above, depending on your needs, proper cctv equipment should be installed.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I went with a Hikvision system that I bought from here a few years ago. https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hd-ip-cameras.html
Works really well, caught some people trying car doors but only after one of the neighbours asked me if I had seen anything the previous night as there car had been left open and rifled through.

The thing that possibly put them off more is our floodlight on the front that tracks you. Ours is a a halogen version that's a few years old now but they do LED ones now.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NightWatcher-NW525-Robotic-Security-LED-Black/153279829676?

i have a hikvision 8mp camera system which I think is great, I'm not sure they will put off a potential thief but it's nice to see what's going on.
if I was going for a single easy fit camera I think I would go for the next IQ outdoor and mount it fairly low down because you'll never pick out a face from a high up camera.
I did have the early Arlo cameras which run on batteries. You can mount them in unusual places (I had one in a tree) but they don't continuously record on batteries and are quite expensive, worth a look though

It might be beneficial to get quotes from both DIY and professional services to compare costs and features.

It's wise to consider installing CCTV given the recent security issues in your area. Swann cameras from Screwfix are a good start, known for their user-friendly setup. However, consider factors like camera placement, coverage area, and whether you want features like remote access or motion detection.
For a more tailored solution, companies like Vivint offer professional installation and monitoring services. They can customize a system to fit your home's layout and security needs. While DIY options are cost-effective, professional systems often provide more advanced features and peace of mind.