caught speeding ?

emery1990

Reaction score
my mate recently got caught speeding, he was going along a road where a motorbike was down a side road and saw him going past quite fast, the policemen stopped him and took his car straight away and he had to pay £150 to get it back, and is awaiting his points in 4-6months time, can a policemen do this wuithout having no prove of speeding apart from he thought he was speeding as he drove past and got a 2 second glimpse.

its really ******* me off!:no:

what country are you in? If he took it off him i'm guessing he may have not had any insurance? He may have pulled him for the speeding even just to give him a warning and found out something else was amiss.

I take it you are in teh UK as you have a 52 plate car.

Speaking to my Bro (Taffice Police Thames valley), the Policeman cannot have your car taken away for speeding, that is decided by the courts. The car can be removed for having not having a current licence, MOT or Insurance.

Waiting 4-6 months for his points means he has to go to court, inturn he was cautioned at the roadside for more than a spoeeding offense. Driving without any of the above, will mean he should be slapped with 6 points, and in some cases a ban.

Think your buddy was spinning a yarn.

thanks, no he has has got full insurance and has been since october last year, im going to go to the police with him tomorow and speak them about, yer im from south england, i knew they could just take his vehicle, and they stopped him by just thinking he was speeding, how do they how fast he was going, as ive looked up that at 50mph in 30mph requires a summons, but surely you cant know if someones going bang on 50, caught at 49 hed of got 3 points and a 40 pound fine.

Shame it wasnt a speed camera, cos he could have used one of these:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrYFGSu_L0w
cool or what?(But highly illegal)

They wont have taken it for speeding alone, ask your mate to tell you the truth ;)

Normally its either no valid insurance on a vehicle or the driver not having the correct licence for it.

Seems highly suspect to me that it was taken for speeding alone.

Tom

So anyway, has your mate coughed to why his car was really taken off him then?.

Could have been caught driving like a plank and been given a Sec 59 warning in the past and got caught again...which is where my money would be.

t

Nope, but to be honest he isnt very well clued up so...ahh i dont really care anymore,, his fault for letting the policeman take it.

Nope, but to be honest he isnt very well clued up so...ahh i dont really care anymore,, his fault for letting the policeman take it.

The car I would imagine was taken on correct grounds so I can promise you had you mate 'not let' them take the car it wouldnt have ended well...at all.

Cars are taken for no insurance, licence issues and Sec 59 warnings or even unroadworthy condition. I would imagine his car was taken for one of those reasons.....no go and ask him what really happened ;)

I have managed to get 4 section 59's and had to have a few trips to the compound paying out big bucks! :( The first time i got a warning but after that i got my bike taken of me for the other 2 straight away! :(

I have managed to get 4 section 59's and had to have a few trips to the compound paying out big bucks! :( The first time i got a warning but after that i got my bike taken of me for the other 2 straight away! :(

you menace ;)

haha ohright, yer it must of been a sec 59 then, i didnt end up going, my mate was just saying his mums taking him because she knows more about it than than me, ive known her for 5 years and i doubt it very much lol. do you have to declare your points or is it kind of like declaring a remap.

haha ohright, yer it must of been a sec 59 then, i didnt end up going, my mate was just saying his mums taking him because she knows more about it than than me, ive known her for 5 years and i doubt it very much lol. do you have to declare your points or is it kind of like declaring a remap.

It certainly sounds like a Sec 59 to me....expensive lesson!.

What do you mean about declaring points?, as in points on your licence?. And declare them to who?, insurance company?. Yes you should, you should also tell them about any modifications you have to your car too.

yer hes gutted, lol and yer, because if he even gets 3 points then he might aswell be banned for the year, inurance and that, he'll have to take the pass plus course really, I would always tell about modifactions apart from a remap.

Can the police even cheak if the cars been mapped unless they put it on a dyno?

Can the police even cheak if the cars been mapped unless they put it on a dyno?

No.

However your insurance might check your car over if you end up in an accident. When they inspect the cars then they go over them and check for undeclared mods. If any are found then your insurance could be invalid which wouldnt be good.

Yeah now they're giving them all tasers, imagine the fun they'll have with them :undwech:

My maye got stopped by a police car doin 120, the car matched my mates speed to record it. When he pulled my mate over he went to re-wind the tape and realised he hadnt pressed record. So he let my mate off with a warning because he didnt have proof of his speed to charge him.

My maye got stopped by a police car doin 120, the car matched my mates speed to record it. When he pulled my mate over he went to re-wind the tape and realised he hadnt pressed record. So he let my mate off with a warning because he didnt have proof of his speed to charge him.

Those days are gone now, my understanding is that as soon as the blue lights come on the footage is automatically downloaded to Police HQ - technical errors will always occur though.

@ S3 Hodge, when you get to Wareham keep following signs to Poole for your hooligan antics please ;)

Our cars record into onto a hard drive ALL the time when they go out so its pretty rare that the footage wont be recording now.

Your mate's lucky to be honest as thats banning speeds and a hefty fine!. I'm guessing single crewed officer and no other officers there to confirm the speed....your mates a lucky chap!.

T

@ S3 Hodge, when you get to Wareham keep following signs to Poole for your hooligan antics please ;)

Lol, Dont worry the bikes up for sale now James..... :( Its going to cost me my licence because with so much speed i cant be sensible with it.