Caught Audi Main Dealer technician speeding

Bob123456

Reaction score
As i say.
Had my car in my local Audi dealer for some work to be done.
Being very fussy who drives my car I always like to keep an eye it and after having checked my tracker found my car had been driven above 82+mph Down the dual carriage way on a test drive ??
Has anybody else had this experience and if so done anything about it.

No but I would be complaining to Audi UK using the evidence m&

Reactions: ruairi83 and Buxton2901
Really is it that serious.??think a word in the dealership would be enough unless you were looking a free service plan or something.

Reactions: daytonamart
Really is it that serious.??think a word in the dealership would be enough unless you were looking a free service plan or something.

It is that serious if he gets a NIP in the post for speeding in the next 2 weeks!

Mention it to them now, keep the evidence, make sure they acknowledge their mistake and give you the name of the tech, all in writing so that if you do get a NIP in the post you can pass his name and details onto the police so you don't end up with points and a fine for their **** up.

Reactions: Ginge247 and ruairi83
Really?

So somebody took your car on a toad test, went slightly over the speed limit and you would like to see that somebody lose their job over it?

I’d be a bit disappointed if a road test didn’t include a good thrashing tbh!

Suppose this is the modern way though now isn’t it, where you have to be constantly watching your back as everybody wants to try and squeeze something out of you for nothing. People see firms as big faceless organisations who can afford it, they don’t realise is their little gain usually causes a much bigger loss for someone else.

Reactions: gone, Zafi, L80EWY and 3 others
If the work was to change oil, I'd be able to agree with you, but if they were to exchange turbo or anything that requires testing, I would have to hope that they actually test my car afterwards.

You could take the time to tell us, what the work was?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GarethS4
Really?

So somebody took your car on a toad test, went slightly over the speed limit and you would like to see that somebody lose their job over it?

I’d be a bit disappointed if a road test didn’t include a good thrashing tbh!

Suppose this is the modern way though now isn’t it, where you have to be constantly watching your back as everybody wants to try and squeeze something out of you for nothing. People see firms as big faceless organisations who can afford it, they don’t realise is their little gain usually causes a much bigger loss for someone else.

Hopefully no one else is as anal about their car as you are. If the work was to change oil, I'd be able to agree with you, but if they were to exchange turbo or anything that requires testing, I would have to hope that they actually test my car afterwards.

You could take the time to tell us, what the work was?

By the sounds of things the 2 of you are quite happy to take 3 points and a £100 fine for some dealer tech to go speeding in your car without your permission?

It's not about being anal, but what is the OP expected to do if a NIP lands on their doorstep for speeding?! They NEED to advised the dealership now and get the techs details, because if they don't the dealership (which is a large faceless organisation who sees you & me as just another number) will just turn round and say "wasn't us and our tech won't be taking those 3 points / £100 fine".

He doesn't need to try and get something out of them, but he should go and explain that while he isn't fussed about the car driving at 82 (I mean it's not exactly fast is it), he needs to have the techs details incase a NIP arrives.

If nothing is heard in the next 2 weeks, it's case closed, but if one lands on his door then he needs to have the information available to pass to the police so the tech driving the car can get 3 points / £100 fine on their licence and not the OP taking it for something they didn't do.

I think you have answered your own question really .the guy has apparently got footage of the incident so what is there to worry about.certainly explain to the garage your dissatisfaction and you never know they might offer them a free service next time as good will or something though I would doubt it .hardly a major incident like .so he went 20mph over speed limit or possibly only 10 depending on the road .seriously big deal ,get over it and move on .if your still so unhappy go elsewhere next time .

There's no need to worry about OP getting points, on the off chance an NIP does appear it's simply answered by giving the service or branch manager's details, he/she then gets the NIP and is bound by law to identify the driver.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered about that speed.

Reactions: Zafi, RyanJonS4, DieselJake and 1 other person
Exactly .someone just giving themselves a lot of stress and worry for nothing .

I'd report it but then it depends what's important to you, if they aren't doing the road test right then what else aren't they doing? I had a similar thing when I had a 4 wheel alignment done on another car, it got taken out and ragged up and down and when I got it back the steering wasn't straight. Too busy seeing how quick the car was to test the work that had been done.

By the sounds of things the 2 of you are quite happy to take 3 points and a £100 fine for some dealer tech to go speeding in your car without your permission?

It's not about being anal, but what is the OP expected to do if a NIP lands on their doorstep for speeding?! They NEED to advised the dealership now and get the techs details, because if they don't the dealership (which is a large faceless organisation who sees you & me as just another number) will just turn round and say "wasn't us and our tech won't be taking those 3 points / £100 fine".

He doesn't need to try and get something out of them, but he should go and explain that while he isn't fussed about the car driving at 82 (I mean it's not exactly fast is it), he needs to have the techs details incase a NIP arrives.

If nothing is heard in the next 2 weeks, it's case closed, but if one lands on his door then he needs to have the information available to pass to the police so the tech driving the car can get 3 points / £100 fine on their licence and not the OP taking it for something they didn't do.
When an NIP goes out, you have to nominate who was driving, it doesn't automatically mean the registered keeper gets points.
In this case, he just sends it back with the Audi dealer details and that's it.
I wouldn't be bothered about this speed if it was a national limit, but if it was through a lower speed limit, then I would complain

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Really?

yes. i don't speed, laws are there for a reason. i don't pay a company to treat my car like she's some race toy, i expect them to treat me and my property w/ respect and courtesy. i want to thrash the car about, i'll go to a race day and do it myself.
82 isn't "slightly" over the limit.

yes. i don't speed, laws are there for a reason. i don't pay a company to treat my car like she's some race toy, i expect them to treat me and my property w/ respect and courtesy. i want to thrash the car about, i'll go to a race day and do it myself.
82 isn't "slightly" over the limit.
I won't pretend I don't speed, but that aside, I'm with @wolfie138 on this. What the OP's experience (and other recent ones we've seen involving airport "valet" parking) show is that there's a complete lack of understanding of what it means to be put in charge of other people's property. This was demonstrated to me (the incident itself was much less serious but revealed the same attitude) when I parked my car in an Audi dealer car park, and within 30 seconds a member of the parking staff opened the door of the car in the adjoining bay and banged it into mine. Businesses need to teach their staff that they're being placed in a position of trust, and then have systems in place to supervise, and reinforce the right behaviour.

This was on a dual carriageway, so assuming it was subject to the national speed limit (many have lower limits as we all know), 82mph is 17% over the limit. Whoever was driving clearly had no regard for the possible consequences for the OP if he couldn't later prove he wasn't driving his own car. Someone with that casual attitude towards other people's property and driving record isn't fit to do that job, so yes, I would want them to lose it if for no other reason than "pour encourager les autres".

Reactions: Roadrunner146 and Bristle Hound
Oh get of the high horses ***. He sped a little. Be glad that your car gets to go to more than the speed limit, when you boring drivers use them.

Just to make a pass, requires you to speed up and rev the engine to get pass with safety. So what if I'm going 150 % over the speedlimit, when I make the pass, and then when I'm back in front of the car I passed, slows down to a comfortable speed.

Oh get of the high horses ***. He sped a little. Be glad that your car gets to go to more than the speed limit, when you boring drivers use them.

Just to make a pass, requires you to speed up and rev the engine to get pass with safety. So what if I'm going 150 % over the speedlimit, when I make the pass, and then when I'm back in front of the car I passed, slows down to a comfortable speed.
@A4B82.0tfsi-12, I don't think it's very fair to call people boring and accuse them of being on their high horse because they care about how their cars are treated when in the hands of others. You're entitled to think differently of course, but surely you can make your point without being quite so abrasive?

Reactions: Bristle Hound, gary_a4_quattro and GjrBartlett
This was on a dual carriageway, so assuming it was subject to the national speed limit (many have lower limits as we all know), 82mph is 17% over the limit. Whoever was driving clearly had no regard for the possible consequences for the OP if he couldn't later prove he wasn't driving his own car. Someone with that casual attitude towards other people's property and driving record isn't fit to do that job, so yes, I would want them to lose it if for no other reason than "pour encourager les autres".

It's a pity you couldn't sit in judgement of our bent (allegedly) bankers and politicians :)

Reactions: Charlie23
But a car isn't mistreated, just because it is driven above the speedlimit. To ding, and scratch, and not use seat covers, and test launch control, and so on, is a completely other matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
But a car isn't mistreated, just because it is driven above the speedlimit. To ding, and scratch, and not use seat covers, and test launch control, and so on, is a completely other matter.

Please understand this is the ops car and he wasn't happy with his car being driven above the speed limit. To him the car was left there and he trusted them to treat it properly. He has said he don't drive his car like that so why should a staff member do so?

Reactions: Roadrunner146, GjrBartlett, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
At least the engine was up to temperature. I would be really upset if they thrashed it from cold.

What about a QA-QC perspective.
I'd like to imagine the road test procedure doesn't mandate driving above the speed limit, in fact quite the opposite. What about the rest of the procedures? How about if every nut and bolt was 17% over or under torqued, they put 17% less oil in, only used 4 bolts where there should be 5 etc. etc. If they aren't following one of the procedures how can you be sure they are following any of them?

On another note a Audi tech drove mine home on 35mile trip M25/M11 and managed a staggering 37mpg! When I did the trip I just got about 25. there are some good guys.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: L80EWY, Sandra and DieselJake
On another note a Audi tech drove mine home on 35mile trip M25/M11 and managed a staggering 37mpg! When I did the trip I just got about 25. there are some good guys.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
That’s because he was enjoying driving your car, he was comfortable and also the extra bonus was he was getting some time out of work. :)

Jees are we still talking about this seriously ??.bottom line did you go and complain to the dealer about this guys driving standard and if not why not .if so what did they say ,are you getting free servicing ect or what is the outcome .If you get a ticket in post which I highly doubt it’s only a matter of sending it into the dealership and let them deal with it however they wish.

probably the stupidest comment i've read on a message board, and given i've been on the internet since about 1998, that show you how retarded your comment is.

Reactions: GjrBartlett and RyanJonS4