Catching the turbo?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
This may sound stupid to you guys, but im trying to figure out the best method of accelerating to "catch the turbo" in the best possible way, for example - sometimes when i set off in first, if i plant the pedal just slightly over halfway the turbo goes wild and it feels like lighting, but if i do it again its sluggish? the same goes for if i plant the pedal to the floor it actually feels like the turbo hasnt kicked in, yet sometimes feels quick.

I hope you understand what i mean by "catching the turbo" basically sometimes it really pins you back in the seat then again sometimes you dont get that same surge.

By the way i have an 07 S3

Try not to laugh too hard at this post :)

Thanks

EPC :) if you think you notice it a lot in a S3 you should try a B5 S4 the EPC always seems to produce the best power if the peddle is kept just off the floor. I think some people may have got to the point of bits of wood under the peddle :) There are lots of inputs that are used for the calculations for boost, throttle ignition and fuel and the speed of DV and waste gate can have effect on the turbo spool time or lack of stall. Best of luck with finding the sweet spot :)

Thanks for the reply,

On reflection, a few other cars in the past have had this problem, but the S3 seems to be most prominent, it almost feels like when you dont try to drive it fast you hit the sweet spot, then when you go for it at the lights or example, the car seems rather sluggish.

Cheers

I've only experienced this a couple of times, in second gear, like you say when you are giving it some. A very linear ( but slower than usual without the turbo kick) power delivery.
I must admit I prefer a large normally aspirated engine, you always know where you are with them...

Sometrimes when you are expecting it i.e accelerate off the lights or junction it never seems as much as when you are driving normally.

I do understand what you were getting at as to me half throttle is better than planting foot down.

Just a turbo engine really as every other one has been like this I have had over the years!

Believe it or not, it's the same with the diesel.
Sometimes, half throttle *seems* better than full throttle.
I don't have the foggiest why this would be.
Invariably though, you just end up convincing yourself it 'can't be right' and you just plant the foot!

I've noticed this too. I cant find the thread but I explained something similar a while back (may have been with the 8L S3 though) and got some smarmy comments back, something like "did I know how a turbo works" or something nobbish like that.

I seem to find that there is a spot where of you boot it it will kick the turbo in and pull away, other times not. With my last 8L it seemed to be better if I was more gradual with the throttle than hammer it all the way down.

I'd be interested if there was an explaination/suggestion for this behaviour too. Also, on the older S3, removing the battery for a short while would reset the driving characteristics - I wonder if the car learns this type of foot to floor characteristic - and of course, majority of the time I dont drive like that.

The only way you can get the sweet spot every time is to set off slowly and gradually increase the revs to around 2500rpm then plant it, but obviously this would be a ridiculous way of driving if you were doing it all the time.

Its strange that when you try launch in 1st you never really feel the turbo kick in and if you do what i mentioned above it feels like a different car?

Glad some of you understand what i mean

Thanks

With the S3, it could be that the ignition *******, or the boost is reined in, if you try to plant the foot in lower gears?
Some large bikes have this, whether the owners are aware of it are not, to avoid the riders launching themselves into oblivion.
You're usually talking 3rd gear before the ignition is back to it's proper setting.
This might explain why gradually applying part-throttle works, as you're 'fooling' the ECU.
Any tuning house should be able to confirm whether the ignition automatically ******* in the lower gears, and provide a solution.

Thanks Bowfer,

I think this is definately something i will look into whether it provides a solution or not.

will keep you posted
thanks

I know exactly this feeling. Really frustrating at best of times esp, if there is a TLGP on the cards ;) It's so difficult to get it right every time. I never had this problem on my A3 2.0T nor do I have it on my TT (2.0T,S-Tronic). My 8P S3 also just loves bogging. I would still love to know if anyone has found the perfect solution to lauching the car. One of the solutions that I have found which albeit being very hard on the car is I ride the clutch and boot the throttle. It works, but I do this rarely dur to the wear and tear being caused.

Never really noticed this but do find with quattro the best method is to drive it like a diesel well at least in 1st gear, I tend to set off change early and plant it in second, not really into the TLGP I'd rather let them have it all their way until we have set off.

Interesting post though and the '******' theory sounds very plausibe as this would I imagine protect transmission etc..

Someone is bound to know the answer...........

Could be all the traction control esp thingymajiggy aswell limiting the power and shifting it in low gears to stop the wheels spinning, obviously the higher up the gears the less chance of this happening.

However if given bit by bit throttle as described above then this would eliminate all wheelspin and provide the desired effect?

Like i said before, what seems to work every time is to set off and drive slowly until maybe 3000rpm then plant it, but if its a TLGP then by the time you are at 3000 revs the other car will be in the distance.

The same goes for 2nd gear if you slowly build the revs up then plant it at 3000, the car will seriously pin you back in the seat, this obviously might be because the turbo is engaging from a lower speed, but it would be great to have that feeling every time.

Remember manufacturers fear one thing above all else.
Litigation.
Some numpty flooring an S3 throttle in 1st/2nd ends up flying off into a bus shelter full of nuns taking disabled kids to a whale sanctuary.
Lo and behold, the driver cries "the car just took off".
So, they programme the ECU to make it hard, or at least harder, for you to do it.
It certainly not outwith the realms of p[ossibility.
Like I said, it's commonplace in the bike world.
Hell, they even set their bikes up with nothing but straightline stability in mind, out of the factory.
Even the tyres they fit as standard are chosen for straight line stability!
You fall of in a corner, it's your riding that was fault.
You fall off on a straight though, and their lawyers are twitching...
You fiddle with the settings yourself, as most people do, and they have their all-important exit clause.
Simple.

ok is there any way if not making kind of sloggish from the light,, limited slip disk,or halex control,, or something ,,???? i had it with a m3 at the lights the other day,, but it beat me at the lights,, but on the straight we were side by side, that was with a rolling start... i turned off the EPC but still no good, it went fast then a dead spot then fast again ,,cant turn the EPC off totally ,, will any of the above solve the problem ,,, and cant you explain what they do exactly.. halex or LSD

Iv'e not really noticed it but did on the old S3 I had and I'm sure it was the Haldex transfering the torque to the rear wheels on very harsh acceleration??

Depends whether you want to spend the money, I dont notice it but I dont really fly away from the lights.

Is it worth spending the money over a few traffic light grand prix?

Ah just noticed the location!

Excellent place, then yes I would def go for it!

halex or diff or both
any idea how to SWITCH off the EPC or dissconect it,, maybe take the fuse out

buffalino said:
halex or diff or both
any idea how to SWITCH off the EPC or dissconect it,, maybe take the fuse out

If you crashed and the insurance company found out you took a fuse out for the ESP I don't think they'd be too happy.

With regards to the retarded power delievery, I read somewhere that modern engine ECUs deliberately holdback power for a bit to reduce emissions.

Also taking an engine to 3k rpm then flooring it would definately give a more pronounced shove because you've gone slow then just at the start of the powerband given it full throttle so the difference in speed would be more pronounced. It's all relative lol