Catalunya Red

L1ARR

Reaction score
Morning All,

I am keen to understand everyone's thoughts on Catalunya Red, wanting to know what it's really like in the flesh. Audi call it Metalic but what's it like in the sun does the paint pop etc. I have been offered a car in this coulour with black pack, any new pics would really help me.

Thanks

Hm, it's a very odd colour and one that I'm really not a fan of.

You have to see it in person, don't commit to anything until you've seen it in a range of lights because it is often nothing like the colours. It is straight up orange in some lights. It looks nothing like the original press posters etc of the RS3.

I guess it does pop, but the big noticing factor is the orange tint.

Agree with audinutta, i was thinking about cat. red thinking it was like the press pics but having seen some red cars on you tube, it looks great at night/in the dark but very bright in the day and slightly orange in very bright sunlight

ive seen ara blue and it looks far far better in the flesh than you tube or pics and changes colour in different light - look for a s3, tts or ttrs for the best comparison

Colour is a very personal thing. Dont listen to anyone on what colour is best as its a personal taste thing. eg I love ara blue but alot of people dont. I think white and nardo look like they forgot to paint the car, esp the latter

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Ozmosis, dunes7 and 1 other person
Thanks guys, like you say its a personal thing and it would be worth looking at this in the flesh.

Thanks guys, like you say its a personal thing and it would be worth looking at this in the flesh.

110%, trust me.. don't decide till you've seen it in the flesh haha. You need to see it on a dull day and a sunny day, it's a very much marmite colour.

Reactions: fastolsen and L1ARR
Morning All,

I am keen to understand everyone's thoughts on Catalunya Red, wanting to know what it's really like in the flesh. Audi call it Metalic but what's it like in the sun does the paint pop etc. I have been offered a car in this coulour with black pack, any new pics would really help me.

Thanks

When I first saw Catalunya Red was at Goodwood on a cloudy day the car looked really orange and did not like it at all.
I wanted a red car this time do I was limited to Catalunya Red without opting for Audi exclusive colour costing over £2,000.
Most days I can't notice it looking that orange and just looks bright red.

But have a look at it in more than one type of light to make sure you can live with it.

Reactions: L1ARR
I saw one with black optics. Not s fan personally but then again red isn't usually for me.

I went to check it out hoping it would pop somehow also, and it does, it looks tomato-y in sunlight.

I got the worst picture of all time, it was so sunny I couldn't see anything on my phone. :D

Attachments

• 20170718_155041-01-4096x2325.jpeg
    20170718_155041-01-4096x2325.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,420
Reactions: NevMan and L1ARR

I have it on mine and I don't regret it after almost two years and would pick it today also. It looks really awesome for me all the time and I am a fan of red colour. This is as you all been saying a mix red/orange but its still more red than orange and it pops out from the mass. It's a personal taste thing as you are saying so go and see it in rl. One thing I noticed is that people seems to remember in which colour a manufacturer has exposed their car in the beginning, car, bike or whatever this was the colour for the RS3 in broscyres :).

Reactions: seventeenapg and L1ARR
I've seen two Cat Reds now and it looks great to me. I don't think there isn't a colour I wouldn't get... apart from that weird unpainted one, think it's called Dildo, Noddy or Dullo, can't recall....

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Morbo
I've seen two Cat Reds now and it looks great to me. I don't think there isn't a colour I wouldn't get... apart from that weird unpainted one, think it's called Dildo, Noddy or Dullo, can't recall....

Oooooh, you might upset some people there ;)

Reactions: Kontraband
Personally I have no regrets whatsoever . . .

IMG 0571

Colour is all about personal preference though.

Also worth mentioning that Catalunya Red is only available on RS models :tonguewink:

Reactions: Pinky1959, rhysdavies91, Ozmosis and 4 others
Your hilarious Evotion, bet you never let Aoon M no that when he was sourcing your sport exhaust.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Your hilarious Evotion, bet you never let Aoon M no that when he was sourcing your sport exhaust.
Ha - I was, of course, joking.

I quote like it, even though it was actually the standard, free colour AFAIK.
The missus said she would only allow one in a colour she could live with - came down to any kind of black basically...

Like everyone on here, I have now grown to LOVE the colour of my RS3. Myphos Metallic Black.
Looks good even when dirty.

Out of the dozens of cars in my ownership history I think this is only the 2nd black car I have owned - ummm.

Mostly go for yellow or special blues.

When I was ordering mine I was in two minds whether to go for Catalunya or Sepang. I ended choosing Sepang simply because I wanted a little bit more of the Q factor.

Having since seen Catalunya in the wild, I would definitely consider it if I was ordering again. Cracking colour IMO, especially with the black pack.

Reactions: dno_uk
I had cat red and never regretted it once, the only it deffo needs is the black pack, mine had it and another car down my road never had it and they looked miles apart in terms of looks imo.
Deffo needs black wheels aswell

Upload 2017 8 4 12 39 56

I call it more orange than red. works for me

Reactions: dno_uk and AudiNutta
Trust me, the colour is really really nice, especially with black mirrors and black alloys. In my opinion it's the sportiest looking colour - the colour cannot truly be appreciated in any pics, you will need to see it in person. It has a sort of orangey pop to it, but more red, and in the sun you can see the paint speckles, hard to explain but it's a glittery surface, i.e metallic, but it was a very fine and subtle glitter. I initially looked at Nardo Grey, but that is just a standard colour, nothing special. The Catalunya Red certainly makes it stand out more and I would never choose another colour now, I saw a Solar Orange one and it does not compare to the Catalunya Red. Also I think the Viper Green may be quite nice too with black calipers and black mirrors. Also saw a Catalunya Red one with body coloured mirrors, which was also lovely! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's really up to you :) I would say go for a Catalunya Red one!

Dildo Grey, I like that. :D

I'm in love with Nardo, I get so many comments on it. I never expected people to comment on a non-metallic grey.

Dildo Grey, I like that. :D

I'm in love with Nardo, I get so many comments on it. I never expected people to comment on a non-metallic grey.

Talking of comments on your car, where are the photos you promised? :O

Talking of comments on your car, where are the photos you promised? :O

You guys said to wait 2 weeks to detail it!

Plus, forest fires have made it super smokey and overcast here lately.

You guys said to wait 2 weeks to detail it!

Plus, forest fires have made it super smokey and overcast here lately.

Yeah 2 weeks is right, I don't have a preference whether they are dirty or clean photos when we don't have one in our country to see ;)

I had the pleasure of seeing a Catalunya Red today and I can say that tjacoby's photo (second one, sedan) is accurate in it's depiction. I saw it under artificial light and it's definitely an attention getter. It was a '17 and still partially wrapped for shipping. I think it'll look good with the aluminum trim as well honestly. It's not a color for the meek or timid and I'm sure it'll be a cop magnet.

Bit of a thread bump but saw one yesterday and really really liked it. As Ape said the picture above is quite accurate, it is more of an orange than a red.

But hasn't seen one before and really liked it. Should be more common I think.

V nice

Reactions: rhysdavies91
Catalunya Red best colour for me and im not just saying that because iv got one.. my friend has got nardo gray RS3 but its such a popular color now with golf seat and even skoda all having the same and there is ALOT about... i like the Catalunya Red so much because its a rare color and it changes all the time depending on the light..

Catalunya Red best colour for me and im not just saying that because iv got one.. my friend has got nardo gray RS3 but its such a popular color now with golf seat and even skoda all having the same and there is ALOT about... i like the Catalunya Red so much because its a rare color and it changes all the time depending on the light..
Especially with the black pack

Especially with the black pack
its what iv got on mine only wish i had the gloss black alloys, bit im now either going to get them sprayed then diamond cut or im going to go aftermarket alloys.

Reactions: DW81
As others have said, it's a bit of a marmite colour and you need to see it in person to make your own judgement. It's a very light red, almost orange. Looks great in the sun but we don't get a huge amount of that in the UK so not a colour I'd personally choose. My old car was Tornado Red which is a much stronger red than Catalunya and I much prefer.

Catalunya is also very spec dependent. It really needs black pack and black alloys to look good I think. There are quite a few Catalunya with alu pack/silver rotors out there and I think they look pretty crap.

Personally if I was set on red for an RS3 I'd go exclusive and get Porsche Carmine Red.

I had the pleasure of seeing a Catalunya Red today and I can say that tjacoby's photo (second one, sedan) is accurate in it's depiction. I saw it under artificial light and it's definitely an attention getter. It was a '17 and still partially wrapped for shipping. I think it'll look good with the aluminum trim as well honestly. It's not a color for the meek or timid and I'm sure it'll be a cop magnet.
cop magnet your too right especially when im downshifting past them with pops and bangs :whip:

[photo=medium]9578[/photo][photo=medium]9577[/photo]
this is my car but in different light iv changed the badges and tinted the windows but you cant tell me Cataunya isnt the best colour

The best red that Audi has done to date is Misano Red! Appreciate it might be classified as a £2400 option these dates, but I think it is a bit like Catalunya in the ways it changes under sun light etc, but Misano has a slightly darker tone to start with. Definitely BSP with Catalunya or forget about it.

Reactions: jungle650
The best red that Audi has done to date is Misano Red! Appreciate it might be classified as a £2400 option these dates, but I think it is a bit like Catalunya in the ways it changes under sun light etc, but Misano has a slightly darker tone to start with. Definitely BSP with Catalunya or forget about it.

I agree. I am a big fan of Misano, as a previous owner would whole heartly recommend it. It does however mark quite easily and like black can really show swirls in direct sun light. Is a beautiful colour though :redrs4:

Could not resit......

61CA9D53 EF7F 43CE 899B 4F5DB1DD86AF

4A35032F BBD0 4504 813F BFBD627A6BA9

Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: SPIKE_ and D0C
Am loving the variations of red, if Audi ever re open the order books I have been considering Porsche Guards Red as an exclusive colour.

Reactions: NevMan
I have it on mine and I don't regret it after almost two years and would pick it today also. It looks really awesome for me all the time and I am a fan of red colour. This is as you all been saying a mix red/orange but its still more red than orange and it pops out from the mass. It's a personal taste thing as you are saying so go and see it in rl. One thing I noticed is that people seems to remember in which colour a manufacturer has exposed their car in the beginning, car, bike or whatever this was the colour for the RS3 in broscyres :).
you mean "brochures" :whistle2:

As others have said, it's a bit of a marmite colour and you need to see it in person to make your own judgement. It's a very light red, almost orange. Looks great in the sun but we don't get a huge amount of that in the UK so not a colour I'd personally choose. My old car was Tornado Red which is a much stronger red than Catalunya and I much prefer.

Catalunya is also very spec dependent. It really needs black pack and black alloys to look good I think. There are quite a few Catalunya with alu pack/silver rotors out there and I think they look pretty ****.

Personally if I was set on red for an RS3 I'd go exclusive and get Porsche Carmine Red.
Can’t agree I think red with alu pack and alu roof rails is a really smart looking machine, but I’ve never really liked the “black” trim look

As long as you like it it’s all that matters

Reactions: NevMan
Can’t agree I think red with alu pack and alu roof rails is a really smart looking machine, but I’ve never really liked the “black” trim look

As long as you like it it’s all that matters
That's fair. I don't really like the look especially when Catalunya isn't in the sun, it's a bit of a dull colour. I only really like the alu pack on Panther or Mythos as it gives a good contrast. Black on black is a bit much.