Casual S3 build thread.

amrb1

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone's read plenty build threads on here and else where, but thought I'd start my own anyway!

So here it goes.

I recently traded in my Black 56plate manual S3 which I loved dearly, but needed to much bits and pieces doing after all the stuff I had already done to it just to keep it up and going. So I was out looking for a new car, unsure what to get, looked at a lot of things, M3,135i,Evo10,Focus RS,Scoobs ect. But ended up going for another S3, nice to drive, good standard power, comfy(new one has recaro's) four wheel drive(sometimes) and handles pretty well.

So this is what I ended up getting...
yhupa9am.jpg

The spec..
Ibis white
3door
Heated Recaro's(amazing)
S-tronic
SatNav
and a few other the other usuals.

Since then a few things had happen'd,

Firstly It was remapped, stage 1 courtesy of Mark Brodie at Brotek.

Then I fitted the Forge Twintake, sounds immense!!
6u8u8a7e.jpg

Also added this little beauty..
nudu3ydu.jpg

After that the front ended needed a change, RS3 grille it was...
zagynu2a.jpg

It was then onto brakes...big brakes. There are a lot on the market, KSport, VWracing, Forge, AP ect. But I went for the TTRS set up, going for the OEM look kind of works for me. This wasn't an easy challenge. Bought the Callipers of a friend, the discs once again from Mr Brodie then after a lot of discussion and words of wisdom from a very helpful gentleman on here(via the RS3 forum) I went for the Red Stuff ceramic pads.
Next was getting wheels to fit over the callipers and within the arches. Massive pain in the ****!! Firstly I bought some 19' TTRS reps...didn't fit In the arches with out rubbing... Even with out being lowered yet. So I sold them and went back to the drawing board. I went to a local wheel/supplier(Turriff Tyres) and the guy there helped a lot. I told myself I wanted to stick with 18's as this would be a hack/toy rather than show, so we set out and tested fitted around 30? Different wheels and offsets, from BBS's to Rotiforms. After a lot of playing about 2 wheels fitted, one set looked sh*t so I went for the other! Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in gloss black ET42.
gejenuju.jpg

I then fitted the brakes..
suta2age.jpg
usamumed.jpg
ybategyb.jpg

And wow do they stop now...

Next was a Cobra turbo back exhaust...this was fun to fit....NAATT!!!
This is how I fitted it...
y3ytames.jpg
puju7eja.jpg

Yes they are 6 concrete blocks and 2 scaff boards...

e7era7am.jpg

mabyjabu.jpg

This job caused ALOT of blood, sweat and swearing!

It sounded awesome, but after about a week I ended up putting the resonated section in as it got a bit of a pain in the *** having to try and be quiet in towns/city's...

Next was suspension..I went for Bilstein B8 shocks all round...springs are a bit of a sore point just now so don't ask!! Shocks all fitted and already a massive improvement on handling!
a7ahugut.jpg
e3e4yhy7.jpg
adabydap.jpg

I wanted the engine bay to look a bit tidier so, cut an engine cover(not mine), sprayed it gloss back with a white inlay!
ta9u4ese.jpg

Next on the list and yet to come,

High pressure fuel pump.
Coil packs.
Revo PCV revamp/catch can, undecided.
RS4 fuel valve(just needs to be fitted)
Stage2+/remap
Gearbox map

Will try and keep this upto date..

Cheers!

Reactions: lucky_bob, Mario8P, RS3dan and 6 others
Looking good so far, least your the man to bug now if I end up going that setup haha.... N I like the exhaust fitting, danger man!! haha..

Bought a twintake myself, so glad you gave it positive feedback as ive heard mixed reviews about it

Haha, I'll try my best to help! Yeah I wasn't keen on paying a garage to fit it of try find someone to let me borrow their ramp.

I find it good, bit tricky to fit but, sounds good, looks good and makes a difference to throttle response and spool up.

Nice little build up here. I like the direction this seems to be going in. What software are you thinking of running??

Cheers! Could be an expensive direction...! I'm thinking APR software just now. They do good deals on stage 3,4 ect kits...

Haha, I was unknowingly sent the wrong set, fitted the rears and it sat about 35 mm higher than standard, so standard springs are back in until the situation is resolved :p

Reactions: smurfworth
Ah I see, could have been worse, could have been too low and you start bending things trying to get it off the jack hah

Haha, I nearly ditch the car 4 times due to the back end being so over sprung. Also when I finally got the springs out after a lot of swearing they weren't in a good shape haha.

Cheers! Could be an expensive direction...! I'm thinking APR software just now. They do good deals on stage 3,4 ect kits...

Haha, I was unknowingly sent the wrong set, fitted the rears and it sat about 35 mm higher than standard, so standard springs are back in until the situation is resolved :p

You thinking of going straight to stage 3?? bigger turbo etc?

Nah, I'll go 2+ first! then carry on "researching" what direction to go next. But I think a bigger turbo will be coming at some point.

Ahh ok, it's the software I'm unsure about! Not sure who to go with! Any suggestion?

Quick update then.

Since writing the start a few bits have changed on the S3..

Springs have been fitted, ( correct ones! ) sits nice with no rubbing and now handles like a gokart compared to before!

e8evegut.jpg

me4epyre.jpg

HEL braided brake hoses have been fitted, see them in that pic /\ haha. Peddle pressure has improved.

Loba HPFP fitted..

Uprated coilpacks..

Forge Recirc/dump valve...

Changed the forge intake for a CTS..
4uny6ame.jpg

Friday just gone was done at Ecotune, where it received an APR map, and custom gearbox map.
zesejysu.jpg
suvy2emu.jpg

Safe to say its good fun...

What next though..?

Reactions: Mario8P and RedDejavu
Looking great buddy! Congrats.
May I ask hows the ride comfort compared to stock suspension setup?

Cheers!
Ride comfort is brilliant, bilsteins are the way to go!

I don't need to the wheels are et45, but I only have about 0.5mm clearance, so I use 3mm spacers just to make sure haha

Reactions: Mario8P
Do you not have any trouble with grit getting behind your calliper and scratching your wheels ? I do and yours look close also.

Yeah I do, wheels aren't to bad, but back of the callipers aren't pretty, I've got about 3/4 of a mm in one place at the back off the calliper

May I ask what springs you went with? How much did they lower it?

Hope ride comfort isn't worst than stock

what was your reason for swapping from Forge to CTS intakes? I am thinking of going the opposite or ceramic revo.

what was your reason for swapping from Forge to CTS intakes? I am thinking of going the opposite or ceramic revo.
I bet he had very bad fuel trims. Twintake is well known for that

I didn't even log any fuel trims, I just changed before I got it mapped. I thought the twintake performed well at stage 1, but I wanted the best out of 2+ so I changed it for a better performing one.

I didn't even log any fuel trims, I just changed before I got it mapped. I thought the twintake performed well at stage 1, but I wanted the best out of 2+ so I changed it for a better performing one.
Glad to hear that
Can you please comment on my earlier post above?
Much appreciated

My LTFT are sitting at 7%... Pretty much the same as i had with my last intake... 345hp from a stage 1 apr twintake aint bad tho.. 5 off shark stage 3

As jack says, the forge will perform well, very well infact as proven... I guess it's down to personal choice in the end, also depends on the car as well I think. Not every car is the same.

As jack says, the forge will perform well, very well infact as proven... I guess it's down to personal choice in the end, also depends on the car as well I think. Not every car is the same.
Amrb1 what springs you went with at the end? How much did they lower it?

Hope ride comfort isn't worst than stock

I've got ST springs, made my KW, lowered about 35mm, paired with the bilstein shocks, the ride is very comfy, plus handles 100x better. Just purchased VWRacing anti roll bars which will be fitted this weekend.

I've got ST springs, made my KW, lowered about 35mm, paired with the bilstein shocks, the ride is very comfy, plus handles 100x better. Just purchased VWRacing anti roll bars which will be fitted this weekend.
Cheers bro! Appreciate your reply.
How do you compare it to stock on a bumpy road?

It is a bit firmer, but a lot more controlled, the back end of the S3 is bad for rebounding back up on bumpy roads, bilsteins cured this