CarPlay

Jon Roach

Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone confirm if the Apple CarPlay in 8Y is newer wireless one?

TIA
Jon

Initially it’s wired only: wireless comes later. I think some on here have said the early cars will have it enabled by software upgrade. (When I ordered my car a month or two back the dealer wasn’t sure, with the result that I didn’t spec wireless charging. I’m rethinking that decision.)

Initially it’s wired only: wireless comes later. I think some on here have said the early cars will have it enabled by software upgrade. (When I ordered my car a month or two back the dealer wasn’t sure, with the result that I didn’t spec wireless charging. I’m rethinking that decision.)

Cheers, exactly where I’m at. If it was gonna stay wired only not bothered about wireless charging but if going to wireless then want to change my order

Reactions: AdamInKent
I know it's possible with aftermarket coding even on cars that don't have wireless charging. I can't say if Audi will only enable it for those with wireless or not, that's anyone's guess. I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Reactions: Jon Roach and AdamInKent
Cheers, exactly where I’m at. If it was gonna stay wired only not bothered about wireless charging but if going to wireless then want to change my order
A review I watched this morning also pointed out that the wireless charger allows the phone to use the car’s external antenna, which might provide an additional reason for speccing it. I’ve not yet double checked this though.

Reactions: Jon Roach
I know it's possible with aftermarket coding even on cars that don't have wireless charging. I can't say if Audi will only enable it for those with wireless or not, that's anyone's guess. I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

For me, the decision is more a question of how power hungry wireless airplay might be? I think that, if it were to be added later to early build cars, it might be worth having the wireless charger to reduce battery drain whilst being using CarPlay wirelessly.

Does anyone have any experience of battery drain (or not) on long journeys with wireless airplay?

Also, does it affect the ability to pair the phone to the MMI interface wirelessly? I get the impression from some video reviews that it might be a choice of one or the other?

My A3 Edition 1 arrived in uk on the 22nd October and I have wireless CarPlay!
I have wireless charger aswell if that has anything to do with it

Reactions: Jcbmally and AdamInKent
My A3 Edition 1 arrived in uk on the 22nd October and I have wireless CarPlay!
I have wireless charger aswell if that has anything to do with it
:welcoming: That’s good to know. Is it easy to switch back and forth between wireless car play and using the phone wirelessly through the MMI interface (using the dashboard display / steering controls)?

From what I’ve heard, VAG have all but locked out anything other than dealer access to the OBD port for aftermarket coding on all 2020 models onward (Golf Mk8 and presumably 8Y A3 etc)

My Edition 1 (picked up on 4th Nov) also has Wireless CarPlay - and I had also spec'd the wireless charging so not sure if related!

As long as you've got your car in mid to late October you will have the may2020 software update which makes it wireless.

The chances are any car before that including mine is running on an October 2019 software which forces you to use the wire

Android auto unfortunately still requires the cable. If your car was built roughly circa October onwards it will have the later operating system that supports wireless carplay.