CarPlay retrofit PFL 2015

Readie247

Reaction score
hello,

I am currently looking at purchasing a pfl 2015 s3 which has the tech pack high with the 7”screen. I am wondering is ther a way to retrofit CarPlay to this?

I have seen the aftermarket options however I would really prefer an oem option? Does this require new parts etc? What is the general cost of these parts?

I’m sorry for posting again I have seen lots of other posts about this but no definate answers?

Thanks

hello,

I am currently looking at purchasing a pfl 2015 s3 which has the tech pack high with the 7”screen. I am wondering is ther a way to retrofit CarPlay to this?

I have seen the aftermarket options however I would really prefer an oem option? Does this require new parts etc? What is the general cost of these parts?

I’m sorry for posting again I have seen lots of other posts about this but no definate answers?

Thanks
To add Audi Smartphone Interfaceto a Pre facelift vehicle you would need to retrofit an MMIv2 system and the MMIv1 they came with will not support it. Expect to pay from £2000 to £2200 for a system fully installed and activated.

Seen a few 3rd party systems and they all prettty much suck.

Err, OEM is very expensive, and also you get so much less for what you pay. I know a little bit about this. In a good retrofit kit, it doesn't affect your car in any negative way (completely reversible), also it has CarPlay, mirroring, Android Auto, etc. Functionality is vastly improved than the OEM. Also, it only cost for like under £350 for a kit in the UK, just look on eBay. I'm using one in my Audi A5 and I'm really happy with it.

What kit did you buy? I’m in the US and have never seen anything like that but could really use CarPlay in the car as there are a lot of places where even holding a phone is illegal so being able to text with Siri would be amazing.

Err, OEM is very expensive, and also you get so much less for what you pay. I know a little bit about this. In a good retrofit kit, it doesn't affect your car in any negative way (completely reversible), also it has CarPlay, mirroring, Android Auto, etc. Functionality is vastly improved than the OEM. Also, it only cost for like under £350 for a kit in the UK, just look on eBay. I'm using one in my Audi A5 and I'm really happy with it.
Seen and tested those systems and for the most part the sound quality was rubbish. Sounds like you have had better luck with them :)

PFL 2015 RS3 8V with Technology Pack MIB1 System

IMG 6606 IMG 6607 IMG 6610

I mainly use it for navigation and handsfree phone calls, messages and Whatsapp, that's very useful. Siri works really well in this aspect. Apple maps display really clearly. I also listen to music with CarPlay sometimes. But I think maybe I'm not very sensitive to sound quality (maybe my hearing is not very acute:wub:), the sound to me it's okay, it doesn't bother me at all.

Mike, you can find it on eBay UK. It's under £350.

I really wish there was some information about how to activate CarPlay using this kit vs using the built in MMI features

I really wish there was some information about how to activate CarPlay using this kit vs using the built in MMI features
Mike, do you mean activate CarPlay function from the menu? Is that only available for the very new models such as late 2016 or later cars? It will be interesting to know. This retrofit kit will allow you to have CarPlay without activating anything in the menu.

Yes, you are right. I’m looking at how do I activate CarPlay. as in, How do I switch between phone apps like messages and navigation and then back to car settings in the MMI such as lighting and my e-tron settings.

On early 2016 e-trons there is no CarPlay and the MIB system is still first generation which has horrible voice recognition. I desperately want the newer system, but in the US it’s pretty much a no go unless I want to shell out around 4-5 thousand dollars. This seems like an amazing alternative but I don’t want to buy that from Europe and install it just to find out that it cripples the cars settings screens.

Yes, you are right. I’m looking at how do I activate CarPlay. as in, How do I switch between phone apps like messages and navigation and then back to car settings in the MMI such as lighting and my e-tron settings.

On early 2016 e-trons there is no CarPlay and the MIB system is still first generation which has horrible voice recognition. I desperately want the newer system, but in the US it’s pretty much a no go unless I want to shell out around 4-5 thousand dollars. This seems like an amazing alternative but I don’t want to buy that from Europe and install it just to find out that it cripples the cars settings screens.
This video shows them going back to the cars home screen if that helps.
The website of the company that sells the kit mentioned above (you can buy it from them on their site too) and there is a customer service live chat. Unable to reply with the website but it’s on the YouTube page of the video.
Hope that helps

Well that video is on a BMW with touch screen. Very different than the new MIB system in Audi 8V pre facelift.

Well that video is on a BMW with touch screen. Very different than the new MIB system in Audi 8V pre facelift.
That is an Audi, it says “Audi Concert” on the radio and has Audi keys. I can’t say I know a whole lot about this but it looks like you can use the same buttons you’d navigate with when using the factory system then click out of carplay as shown in the video. It then seems to leave you off in media which is likely how you’d get back into carplay. It’s not installed on the Audi system.

Hey guys.

I've been ghost lurking here for a while and decided to open a new account just to throw my two cents regarding this matter.

Retrofitting CarPlay into these vehicles is basically one of the two options:

1. Retrofitting a MMI2 unit that supports Audi Smartphone Connect.
Will cost a lot of money, definitely not worth it in my opinion.

2. Buying a external adapter unit that has CarPlay installed in it.
The 300 pounds unit posted here is a bit costy, I found a cheaper one on AliExpress (can't post links here, just search for "Audi A3 CarPlay" and it should come up).

They're basically separate units that connect to your external video output on your MMI and have several apps installed on them, including CarPlay. The biggest downside is that it's aftermarket & external, meaning it won't seamlessly integrate into your existing MMI system. You'd have to enter it every time you start your vehicle, and inside launch the CarPlay app every time.

The second downside is that these units are slow. We're young, we're in 2018 - we expect things to work fast. These units will work slow and things like launching apps or displaying information will be slow compared to the real deal.

However, if you are willing to sacrifice both - go ahead. I don't want to deal with slow interfaces just for CarPlay, so for now I'll stick with the awesome built-in Bluetooth feature in my 2013 MMI, which does the job fine. After getting the new OEM-Mounts mount for my iPhone I can display navigation in front of my eyes now so that's cool as well.

Good luck anyways!

Any idea if this unit will work with the MMI connection or the USB connection in the arm rest? Or do I have to run a separate USB cable?