1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

CarPlay - 2015 S3 8V

Deezer-D Jun 27, 2020

1. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting CarPlay on my 2015 S3 8V.
    This is the spec from myAudi app

[​IMG]

Cheers
    D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

OEM Audi CarPlay is not possible on your vehicle as you don't have the needed media system. You have two options, retrofit an MIB2 media system from a late 2016 onwards 8V vehicle (approx cost £1500) or install a 3rd party Apple CarPlay box (with Android Auto) available from eBay / Aliexpress, approx cost $250.00.

Deezer-D likes this.
  4. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Cheers Alix, I’ll look into the 3rd party boxes as £1500 could be better spent on power and handling.

Anyone got a box fitted or a seller the could link me to please?
    Thanks
    D

5. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Just search and order from AliExpress and save yourself some cash. All uk suppliers buy from China and rebrand the box while adding £250.00 to the price. An example installation i completed:

Deezer-D likes this.
  6. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Thanks Alix, much appreciated. Is this something like what was fitted?

£181.04 41% Off | A U D I A3 CarPlay Wireless Module WIFI Bluetooth Black Box Car Radio Retrofit Activate Device Android Auto Mirror
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6WhCqC

7. DJAlix

That’s the one :)

Deezer-D likes this.
  8. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Excellent

9. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Reading the description it says supports aftermarket or OEM reversing camera. Would this work then?

£20.35 26% Off | High Resolution Car Trunk Rear View parking camera back up reversing CAM for A3 A4 A5 A6 S5 Q3 Q5 Q7
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7dTHBo

10. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

@DJAlix
    Did you need to use an AMI cable to get this to work? Seller has messaged me to say AUX needs to be activated on the AMI for the box to work. Said I need to plug a cable like this in and activate AUX
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is the same cable, I think it is

AMI MDI to AUX 3.5mm female jack Music Media Interface Cable Adapter | Compatible with Audi A6L Q5 Q7 A8 S5 A5 A4L A3 VW Volkswagen Tiguan GTI CC Skoda Fabia Octavia vehicle radio | 0.4m

Or would an Audi AMI to USB with a converter to female 3.5mm work too?

This is my current MMI setup

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. DJAlix

Some boxes need connecting via cable, some don’t. All the ones I have been installing have sent sound via BT.

Deezer-D likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Thanks Alix. I’ll maybe get a genuine Audi AMI / 3.5mm cable and a female / female connector. Hopefully the Audi one will be more reliable.

14. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Watched a YouTube video by a guy who installed one of these and he said all that was needed was to have a female AUX / AMI cable plugged in to let the box know that AUX is active. Got one of Amazon for a tenner

[​IMG]

Just have to wait on the box coming from China.

15. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

CarPlay box and reverse camera arrived. CarPlay looks straightforward enough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All seems plug and play. There’s a RF connection for the wireless receiver and the USB lead has connections for front and rear cameras as well as a ground and ACC wire. Not 100% sure how to connect the rear camera.

[​IMG]

There’s a cable that connects to the power supply with a red and black wire that the instructions look to say connect to 12v and ground - I’m guessing this connects to the reverse light?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There’s a 6m cable that runs tbrought the car to the rear camera plug on the CarPlay box. I’m guessing the red wire connects to the yellow wire on the loom with the USB plug. Both ends of the cable have a red fly lead so not sure what the story is. The instructions for the camera aren’t great. I think the red wire on the video lead connects to the power wire on the reverse light too?

[​IMG]

Still waiting for the instructions for the CarPlay box to be emailed through which might explain the camera connection a bit better.

16. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

CarPlay kit is in. What a pain that was.
    Quick install overview for anyone that might be interested

Reverse camera lead connected to 12v wire and yellow plug on the harness

[​IMG]

Strip out the glovebox, this took me a while as I’d never done it before

[​IMG]

Tucked the WiFi aerial down in the passenger footwell out of the way and left the USB there too for firmware updates

[​IMG]

Ready for the MMI unit to go back in

[​IMG]

Up and running

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then time for the reverse camera. So this is where it went a bit pear shaped

Started to route the cable

[​IMG]

Red wire on the power lead from the camera connects to red wire on the long lead

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got to here at the rubber grommet and the yellow plug just wouldn’t go through

[​IMG]

Had to cut and join the cable (which is actually made up of 3 very fine wires)
    All stripped out and wiring in place.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The original boot handle was a pain to remove too.

Annnnnnnddddddd it doesn’t work! Says no signal so must be something to do with me cutting and joining the wires. Will have to have another look tomorrow.

These are the instructions provided and I’ve wired the camera in line with the automatic transmission option.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. DJAlix

Good effort.

Am not surprised about the reversing camera not working as not managed it myself via the box or direct to the MMI as a camera Low.

Deezer-D likes this.
  18. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Do you think cutting and joining the wire made any difference then Alix? I’ve ordered a replacement cable to test before giving up

19. DJAlix

As long as you connected the wires back together as they should be no. I have had a few customers bring me cameras with the boxes and no two sets of instructions have been the same, if even supplied, and none of the cameras have worked when tested in any configuration.

Deezer-D likes this.
  20. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

Success! In the setup menu there’s a help section and a long press of the back button resets the box

[​IMG]

Was wondering why the CarPlay unit wasn’t auto connecting at start up but it’s because it works over WiFi and you need to be connected to the CarPlay WiFi network. I’m usually connected to the house WiFi and still am when sitting in the driveway.
    Pretty happy for £230 including customs charges.

21. DJAlix

That’s a great result!

Deezer-D likes this.
  22. Deezer-D

Deezer-D Member

I’m pretty pleased with myself! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated