Carjacked

Next car will not be anything as attractive. Now I need to find an ugly car that is nice to drive!
Mate I don't want this to sound like a lecture and I can see where you are coming from. I did think about doing the same myself after a scary moment last year (luckily nothing ast bad as yours), but if you do that you are letting them win! I'm sure that you like the rest of us work hard to buy yourself a nice car, so why should we let the scum of the earth put us off buying what we like and want......isn't the point of working hard in the first place to buy nice things for ourselves and family?

Where would it end? walk around looking like a tramp just so that we don't get mugged for our wallets! Buy a ****** run down house so that we don't get burgled! don't buy the latest iPhone...all just in case!!

I treated myself to an Omega watch a few months back, first thing I did was put it on the house insurance. I walk around 90% of the time wearing a T-shirt, so it's very visible for all to see, if I got jumped by a few lads and I knew I didn't have a chance I'd hand it over and claim for a new one...it can be replaced!

Life is too short to keep your money in the bank, spend it on nice things and enjoy them whilst you can. My late father got diagnosed with dementia a few years back after working his **** off all his life. He had his own house and a fair amount saved in the bank, the government wanted to take it all right down to the last £23k before they started to pay for any of his care fees! Luckily* he was that bad that he came under the care of the NHS CHC which meant they paid for it all from day one. I say luckily* meaning my mum didn't have to watch their life savings being taken away from them to pay for the same care as someone who has never worked in their life!

Rant over :)

Reactions: sve170, MaffewEM, jaypers777 and 8 others
Just a thought. If your phone was in the car, could the police not track it via that? Or even you with "Find my iphone" if you have another device.

Grim story. Glad you're okay.
Thank god there was no kid in the back.. you hear stories like that. it could always be worse.

If it was legal, I would:
  • Bring out a gun and watch their faces as I shoot the nearest one in the leg - next please...
  • Have a bespoke alarm system that let's them drive away and after one minute it either blows up or locks the car (and then either sets it alight or electrocutes them)
Then again, I am a nice, peaceful, law abiding citizen but this thing really ****** me off.

Reactions: sve170, RSS-S3, Djs3saloon and 7 others
Insurance is turning in to a PITA. Broker, underwriter and now the claims handler! No wonder insurance costs so much

Audi Ensurance was no help. Can't log a claim at the weekend (not what I'd call 24/7) and do not cover stolen vehicles despite the policy booklet saying they do. They'd like me to call back if is recovered damaged!

Reactions: richinsoton and AudiNutta
Just a thought. If your phone was in the car, could the police not track it via that? Or even you with "Find my iphone" if you have another device.

Phone was snatched from me and turned off within a couple of minutes. Partner is always stalking me!! Last recorded position was about a mile away before going dead

Reactions: Evotion
Do you have GAP cover? If you do remember not to accept any offer from your normal insurance before talking to the GAP cover.

S32b. I get your point, and mostly agree but there are a number of factors in my thoughts;
I was already thinking of downgrading. I was bored of the S3 anyway, and didn't really use or need the speed/power. I've also realised the base spec of Audi's is pretty poor. Other half's sister got a new Mini Cooper for £13k and an interior spec generally better than the S3. I was looking at an A5 and the options came to nearly the cost of her car
Had a Focus as a hire car from work a couple of weeks ago, **** to drive but spec was light years ahead of the S3
I've got the nice watch, too ugly for nice clothes and live in a modest house (through choice).
I'm increasingly thinking there are better things to do with my money than throwing £5k to £6k at a car that I'll never own every year.
The things I'm taking from this are family comes first, spend more time with them, more holidays, enjoy life. Don't stress the little things. Material things are disposable.
As for the car, inside is more important than outside, as that's the bit I spend time with. Also, my insurance is going to be ****ed for the next 5 years!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, richinsoton, TDI-line and 3 others
Mini Cooper for £13k and an interior spec generally better than the S3.

Had a Focus as a hire car from work a couple of weeks ago, **** to drive but spec was light years ahead of the S3

Off-topic: I cannot believe either Mini or Focus can have better interior than S3. Even base A3 has nicer (more modern, better put together, higher quality and more grown up) interior than those 2 in my opinion. The only thing Mini has for itself is that iDrive is better than MMI but Sync3 in Focus is ridiculous and both of those have weird looking interiors in general - at least that's how I see them.

Reactions: KrisKrk
Off-topic: I cannot believe either Mini or Focus can have better interior than S3. Even base A3 has nicer (more modern, better put together, higher quality and more grown up) interior than those 2 in my opinion. The only thing Mini has for itself is that iDrive is better than MMI but Sync3 in Focus is ridiculous and both of those have weird looking interiors in general - at least that's how I see them.

He might mean it is nicer looking.
Also, after spending a long time in one car, the interior will always get a bit tired (exceptions in super cars...)

I think what he means is that Audi make you pay extra for what other manufacturers throw in as standard, but we being slaves to the brand end up spending another £5k minimum to add that into the already high purchase price.
As for what to get as a replacement, don't make any knee-jerk reactions as your head will be all over the place at the moment. You had that S3 for 3 years without any trouble and are probably just a victim of circumstance. Maybe think about a more discreet colour as sepang blue shouts S3 from a distance!
It is only a car at the end of the day and the family comes first but don't deny yourself what you work hard for.

I sometimes think it's ridiculous what Audi don't give you. They have blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise etc in Polo's now!! Yet I have a £54k RS3 on order and it's an optional extra. I have a £38k S3, without an auto dimming rear view mirror because that's optional.

It's disgusting sometimes when you think about it. I hate it when people with £10k cars in work have better 'tech' than mine, it's almost embarrassing.

Reactions: TDI-line, James.B8 and KrisKrk
I sometimes think it's ridiculous what Audi don't give you. They have blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise etc in Polo's now!! Yet I have a £54k RS3 on order and it's an optional extra. I have a £38k S3, without an auto dimming rear view mirror because that's optional.

It's disgusting sometimes when you think about it. I hate it when people with £10k cars in work have better 'tech' than mine, it's almost embarrassing.

Maybe they make it optional because they know there is a market for it, some people just spec up and press the buy button. (I would if I wasn't so damn sensible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they make it optional because they know there is a market for it, some people just spec up and press the buy button. (I would if I wasn't so damn sensible)

I've tried to be sensible with mine and it has £9.5k of options. It's thinks like the Matt Aluminium pack which is stupid, £800 for a different colour plastic trim! Sports exhaust for £1000, with hardly any change.

Things like Mag Ride for £1000, that is good value because it is an extremely complex system and very intelligent.

I was being sensible, I specc'd a SB one up to see what it would be out of interest and it was £50,550 (£6,250) worth of extras.

Reactions: Mark_86 and AudiNutta
S32b. I get your point, and mostly agree but there are a number of factors in my thoughts;
I was already thinking of downgrading. I was bored of the S3 anyway, and didn't really use or need the speed/power.

OK mate fair play, just didn't want scum putting you off, but if you were already thinking of downsizing then that's different.

A few I looked at were the new Polo GTi, Golf Gti, Fiesta ST (out next year) and this was posted the other day: £259 down £259 per month http://www.seatwarrington.co.uk/newcars/details/seat/leon-hatchback/20-tsi-cupra-300-5dr/14323

Hope you get everything sorted soon ;)

Really sorry to hear of this, must have been really scary.

I suppose you can't really do more than track, GAP and CCTV at home for the cars security, but when they are this determined you can't do much else.

Slightly related, but our house was broken into about a month back with the intention of taking my keys in a nearby area.

Getting really concerning in Leeds/Bradford.

OK mate fair play, just didn't want scum putting you off, but if you were already thinking of downsizing then that's different.

A few I looked at were the new Polo GTi, Golf Gti, Fiesta ST (out next year) and this was posted the other day: £259 down £259 per month http://www.seatwarrington.co.uk/newcars/details/seat/leon-hatchback/20-tsi-cupra-300-5dr/14323

Hope you get everything sorted soon ;)

Just got out of a Polo GTI, amazing fun, handled incredibly well, surprised everyone, just very stiff suspension for a long run, but very under the radar, no one ever looked at it or tried to race it or impress me with their cars. If that's what you want :)

Highly recommended

Reactions: RSS-S3
Just got out of a Polo GTI, amazing fun, handled incredibly well, surprised everyone, just very stiff suspension for a long run, but very under the radar, no one ever looked at it or tried to race it or impress me with their cars. If that's what you want :)

Highly recommended
The new GTi?

The new GTi?
It was a 66plate Polo GTI,

Current one, the new ones not open for order yet... or what we consider to be new anyway ha

Mine will be on sale very soon. 12months old, 12k on the clock

It was a 66plate Polo GTI,

Current one, the new ones not open for order yet... or what we consider to be new anyway ha

Mine will be on sale very soon. 12months old, 12k on the clock
Ahh right, the new one was on my list until last week, along with the Fiesta St (next year's one) :) Great little cars though, new shape or old :)

Guys

Just to let you know another S3 has gone. My partner and I were carjacked yesterday afternoon on the edge of Bradford on the way from the supermarket. Thankfully we are both OK, bar for some minor bruising to my back from the attack.

Started with a minor shunt from the rear while I was stopped at traffic lights, so be carful out there folks. I really didn't expect this in broad daylight in a reasonably busy area.

I keep telling myself that it is just a car, and we are both OK. To be honest, I'm more p'd off as cards and phone went as well.

The locals around the area were excellent and very supporting, and it is a shame that a few individuals tarnish the reputation of a whole community, so no comments of that aspect please.

In the hands of the police and insurance now, why do I feel that I'm about to get done over again?!
Any update on this mate, did they find the car or has it gone through the insurance?

Highly recommended
Me too!

Suspension was far too hard tho!

Whats worrying for me, is IF i got car jacked, my dog is normally in the back seat of the car, and Id rather lose the S5 than my dog, ****, id even rather lose the Mrs than the dog :D

Might look into the Ghost system, but i can see would be thieves beating the crap out of you for the code :(

Reactions: TDI-line, AudiNutta, Jassyo06 and 3 others
On the downgrading debate. I've thought about if I will reach the point I want to do this. S32's excellent point about life being too short is spot on. I'm going to have nice things. If any nice car of mine gets stolen, I have insurance. I would also wish the thieving scumbags who do this to hit a tree at very high speed with nobody else involved. Yes, there are worse crimes, but the low life who impact decent people's lives are completely abhorrent. Harsh wishes there but can't help it.

Reactions: Evil Diesel, -Ju-, TDI-line and 4 others
Me too!

Suspension was far too hard tho!

It was... it was BUT thats the kind of car it is and you know that when you buy it. I had done 6 hour round trip one day and managed

Reactions: RSS-S3
Whats worrying for me, is IF i got car jacked, my dog is normally in the back seat of the car, and Id rather lose the S5 than my dog, ****, id even rather lose the Mrs than the dog :D

Might look into the Ghost system, but i can see would be thieves beating the **** out of you for the code :(
Yeah when I had dogs I'd do anything for them :) Truly mans best friend ;)

As for them beating you...most would just run off it was opportunist at the lights etc. or just ask dumb and say "You have broken it, it was ok before" :p

Reactions: TDI-line
Yeah when I had dogs I'd do anything for them :) Truly mans best friend ;)

As for them beating you...most would just run off it was opportunist at the lights etc. or just ask dumb and say "You have broken it, it was ok before" :p

So, I think a good solution would be a delayed shut-down, say after around 1/2 mile or 3mins or similar, if the code has not been entered.....that way, the bad guys would be a little way away......not so likely to run back etc.?

So, I think a good solution would be a delayed shut-down, say after around 1/2 mile or 3mins or similar, if the code has not been entered.....that way, the bad guys would be a little way away......not so likely to run back etc.?

Sure that's how Clifford BlackJax works, they can start it and drive so far but if the code hasn't been evetered then it winds the engine down until it stops, they then can't restart it.

Reactions: kevpuk
@PhatGit - Any updates buddy ?

Hope you & your partner are both recovering from this abhorrent crime

Hey phatgit
Any updates mate? just noticed you were active on another thread before so welcome back to the forum.

Hi Chris S 1245

The car was never recovered and the scrotes never caught. Police really weren’t interested in the slightest, a couple of email “updates” that said jack all. It’s no wonder it is a growing business.
Insurance company were actually quite good after the initial crap of a multitude of agents. Paid out in 5 days, and a decent payment. Covered the settlemen, deposit for the replacement and a few other “enhancements”!!

Now in a Q3 and really enjoying it. Still lurk here, as the Q forum is sooo boring

Reactions: lucaslfc, Chris S 1245 and Tom.H
Hi Chris S 1245

The car was never recovered and the scrotes never caught. Police really weren’t interested in the slightest, a couple of email “updates” that said jack all. It’s no wonder it is a growing business.
Insurance company were actually quite good after the initial **** of a multitude of agents. Paid out in 5 days, and a decent payment. Covered the settlemen, deposit for the replacement and a few other “enhancements”!!

Now in a Q3 and really enjoying it. Still lurk here, as the Q forum is sooo boring
Shame about the car never being recovered and shame that the scrotes are probably still out there. Sadly this type of event is becoming all too common as the law is too soft in this country. At least insurance played ball and your back in an Audi :).

My original thoughts on combating this were:

"
  • Bring out a gun and watch their faces as I shoot the nearest one in the leg - next please...
  • Have a bespoke alarm system that let's them drive away and after one minute it either blows up or locks the car (and then either sets it alight or electrocutes them)
"

However, on the legal side, it would be good if one handed over the keys, or if the car got boosted, and then they drive the car for a couple of minutes when the doors and windows lock, overriding the car. With current tech, you can actually have the ECU then GPS locate the nearest Police Station, drive them there automatically and park it out side and set the alarm off... :) Busted.

Actually, would take Bait Cars to a whole new level.. Drop them off then leave them. Let them drive into the Polica compound. Brilliant.

Reactions: Rolly12 and Tom.H
Hi Chris S 1245

Insurance company were actually quite good after the initial **** of a multitude of agents. Paid out in 5 days, and a decent payment. Covered the settlemen, deposit for the replacement and a few other “enhancements”!!

From experience, it may have worked in your favour insurance wise not being recovered. I only dealt with a few like that but each one was valued by the engineers as if the car was in immaculate condition as there was no car to actually inspect.

Obviously your car may have been immaculate anyway but knowing how insurance companies are, they'd be loooing for anything to knock the value down.

Glad you're all sorted though and are back in another car :grinning:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Grim story. Glad you're okay.
Thank god there was no kid in the back.. you hear stories like that. it could always be worse.

Then again, I am a nice, peaceful, law abiding citizen but this thing really ****** me off.

Nice idea that, and probably the only way innocent people can start defending themselves.

Reactions: Tom.H
If it won't start they will FRO imho. Car thief's have not got all day to steal your car, they will leave if it won't start immediately.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

IMHO Ghost is only ok if you are not close to the car, The may chase you down the road or come upstairs etc and take out there frustration on you.

Alright thank you.

I have CCTV, I bought a Swann 2 Camera-Kit from B&Q and it's great, you can't fault the quality for the price paid and you can view it on your phone anywhere in the world.

CCTV won’t deter the nasitiest types, unfortuantly I can show you CCTV footage to prove it

IMHO Ghost is only ok if you are not close to the car, The may chase you down the road or come upstairs etc and take out there frustration on you.

Blackjax is a good idea too, believe it allows them to start it and drive off then it will slowly wind down until it cuts out and sounds the alarm. A mate got his RS4 back thanks to Blackjax