Carista App

So if i activate ADS on my A5 facelift sportback will it then show up on the car menu?

As mentioned im guessing suspension settings will be greyed out?

Reactions: V6_Man
So if i activate ADS on my A5 facelift sportback will it then show up on the car menu?

As mentioned im guessing suspension settings will be greyed out?

It will show up. Not sure about dampening, worth giving it a shot and seeing if it does or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now I have a problem. Tried hooking up Carista this morning, having remembered to disable the OBD port lock only to be presented with the recurrence of a previous problem. The new OBD socket that's part of the OBD lock loom tends to move around in the dash panel, so that when I push the dongle in, it doesn't connect properly.

I thought that had been fixed when the OBD lock installer came out to secure it, but it's moving again. In the longer term, I need to get the installers back to sort this out properly. In the short term, I can get round it by dropping the lower dash panel and holding the back of the socket to make sure they connect (but not at 6am in an underground car park). First opportunity to do that will be tomorrow morning (it's called "working from home" :) ).

Reactions: Keef and V6_Man
Folks, for those of you who have activated ADS via Carista, have you run diagnostics afterwards and seen any errors? I have got the below one and wanted to check if anyone has:

ABS
Part #: 8K0907379CP
Coding: 295DCC01 (hex)
Component: ESP8 quattro
Fault codes:
00493 ESP-Sensor Unit (G419)

Can you turn off the alarm sound door open with the engine running? Can't find it on Carista.
Also seen you could see how many times Launch control has been used but can't seem to find it myself ?

I've never seen it on Carista but if you press the 'Reset' button on the washer stalk that will silence the alarm each individual occasion.

Reactions: L80EWY
It should if it shows on Carista

I've just had a rather confusing session using Carista and my ELM327 wi-fi dongle. Initially I spent about ten minutes (ignition on, engine off) wondering why it wouldn't connect before it dawned on me that I hadn't switched my OBD port lock off. D'oh!

Once I'd put that right, I loaded up customisations to find that door buzzer off hasn't been added. But I did notice that a whole suite of ADS options have been. My car has ADS and sports diff from the factory, but I didn't spec adaptive damping. Yet Carista allowed me to display Suspension in the MMI's ADS settings. Stranger still, when I entered the menu later, it allowed me to toggle between settings. How? I expected Suspension to be displayed but greyed out and non-selectable.

While I was still in Carista, the adaptive headlight malfunction warning light came on. I did a scan, but instead of coming up with one error, it listed about ten, which I stupidly reset before saving and emailing them to myself. By now, the ignition had been on for about 20 minutes, and the sun was very hot so I shut everything down.

I'll have another go tomorrow morning in the cool of the underground car park at work. This time, I'll save the errors and report back.

But what's going on with ADS giving me access to adaptive damping that isn't fitted?

Sometimes, I amaze myself; I appear to have fixed the problem myself. That said, it looks like I created it myself too.
I reran a scan this morning, and it came up with fault code 00471. When I researched that, I realised there’s a link between the headlamp levelling system and the adaptive damping system (obvious once it’s pointed out). I figured that what I’d done the night before was activate a non-existent adaptive damping system, and that was causing a comms problems with the headlight levelling. I de-activated the Suspension display from the ADS menu, re-ran the scan, deleted the 00471 fault and, hey presto, the dashboard warning light went out.

Memo to self: be careful what you tinker with……

I didn't activate it but then I found out there wasn't a lot I would need activating as most of it was already activated. All I did was
1- Increase the DRLs brightness to 35%. It was 25% previously.
2- Also activated 'Beep with locking'.
Thats me sorted.
Plus checked the launch counter as well. Guess how many . Only 4 - what a pussy driver I am.
a34121dacf911f855565ef2de7263448.png

Reactions: Gavin G and Bristle Hound
Right folks my carista doogle arrived today...

I've read about activating the ADS on my A5 facelift and how not to activate the suspension settings, but apparently once the ADS has been activated in carista it then needs activating on the green screen..

Now i've never messed with the green screen or even ever been on it.so is it

A. Easy to access the green screen?

B. Easy to turn on ADS in the green screen

C. Can all be done with carista app?

Is there a link anywhere on how to do the ADS setup and green screen ADS setup Using carista?

Thanks for any info

I didn't activate it but then I found out there wasn't a lot I would need activating as most of it was already activated. All I did was
1- Increase the DRLs brightness to 35%. It was 25% previously.
2- Also activated 'Beep with locking'.
Thats me sorted.
Plus checked the launch counter as well. Guess how many . Only 4 - what a pussy driver I am.
a34121dacf911f855565ef2de7263448.png

DRL Leds only running with rear lights looks good imo worth doing

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Right folks my carista doogle arrived today...

I've read about activating the ADS on my A5 facelift and how not to activate the suspension settings, but apparently once the ADS has been activated in carista it then needs activating on the green screen..

Now i've never messed with the green screen or even ever been on it.so is it

A. Easy to access the green screen?

B. Easy to turn on ADS in the green screen

C. Can all be done with carista app?

Is there a link anywhere on how to do the ADS setup and green screen ADS setup Using carista?

Thanks for any info

Don't recall exactly how I activated Green Screen, I believe you have to enable it via VCDS. Have a read from the below link as this is exactly what I followed.

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

You can activate the green screen I only have carista and have enabled ADS I think it's called activate secret menu or something along those lines...

well so this afternoon i played around with my new Carista doogle most was easy ADS wasa pain in the ***..

I activated

1. Lap timer
2. Digital oil temp
3. altered drls to 35%
4. Activated ambient lighting setting on all buttons around the gear stick, ( basically they all glow red now and strangely pulse slightly!!!)
5. Activated bleep on lock and unlock
6. activated passenger mirror dip on reverse, havent driven the car yet not sure if its worked??
7. Activated windows open and close from the key fob using long press, BUT it still isnt working GURRRRRR anybody know how to do it???

And finally activated ADS, just steering wheel and engine, as i've read suspension activation causes a dashboard error? now i followed all the steps including turning on the green screen and doing the alterations in the green screen but would it update...would it heck, i did all the steps 3 times and ir refused to show up on the car screen???

So i gave up and went inside, then went back out 30mins later put the key in and hey presto the ADS option was there on the car screen and fully working with the controller????

so just the windows to figure out, and i need to get V.I.M activated with vag-com

well so this afternoon i played around with my new Carista doogle most was easy ADS wasa pain in the ***..

I activated

1. Lap timer
2. Digital oil temp
3. altered drls to 35%
4. Activated ambient lighting setting on all buttons around the gear stick, ( basically they all glow red now and strangely pulse slightly!!!)
5. Activated bleep on lock and unlock
6. activated passenger mirror dip on reverse, havent driven the car yet not sure if its worked??
7. Activated windows open and close from the key fob using long press, BUT it still isnt working GURRRRRR anybody know how to do it???

And finally activated ADS, just steering wheel and engine, as i've read suspension activation causes a dashboard error? now i followed all the steps including turning on the green screen and doing the alterations in the green screen but would it update...would it heck, i did all the steps 3 times and ir refused to show up on the car screen???

So i gave up and went inside, then went back out 30mins later put the key in and hey presto the ADS option was there on the car screen and fully working with the controller????

so just the windows to figure out, and i need to get V.I.M activated with vag-com

So, how do you do it. I ask because I have a B7 A4 and it works on it without any issues. Never activated this on the car. Surprisingly, I had a B5 A4 (W Reg) and it used to work on it too. Have you tried doing for the first time standing next to the driver's door. Mine comes default with the settings but I remember a friend had a problem and he had to stand next to the driver's door first couple of times and press the unlock key for it to work. It was fine afterwards.

If you mean the windows????

GOD knows i followed the steps in carista and it still doesnt work, tryed long press on unlock, tryed unlocking the car then unlock long press again, tryed unlocking, then long pressing unlock and lock together and still doesnt drop the windows...

Anybody any ideas????

If you mean the windows????

GOD knows i followed the steps in carista and it still doesnt work, tryed long press on unlock, tryed unlocking the car then unlock long press again, tryed unlocking, then long pressing unlock and lock together and still doesnt drop the windows...

Anybody any ideas????

Did you enable it from MMI - see below:

Settings --> Car --> Central Locking --> Windows or something like that.

https://blog.caristaapp.com/how-to-...-on-an-audi-a4-s4-a5-s5-b8-or-q5-821013bb54eb

Thanks Tashfeen, followed the link you provided and hey presto the windows now drop and close via the key fob.

Also i can confirm that the mirror dip reverse works and returns to the upright position when you put the car back into a forward gear..

Thanks Tashfeen, followed the link you provided and hey presto the windows now drop and close via the key fob.

Also i can confirm that the mirror dip reverse works and returns to the upright position when you put the car back into a forward gear..

Cheers @holmefield. Glad its all working for you now - happy days :D

Is the ADS available on any car??

I have Carista and the dongle, but I havent come across this setting, can someone put a step by step guide on at all??

I have a 2.0 tfsi quattro, will it make any difference at all?

Reactions: Nilz
Did you try the below link (for B8)

https://blog.caristaapp.com/audi-drive-select-ads-for-audi-a4-a5-q5-b8-f2034203f2f3

Just read that link out of curiosity (my car already has ADS), and had to smile when I saw the following:

"*Known issues:
Note that enabling “Show suspension option in ADS menu” may cause a “Headlight range control defective” fault on cars that don’t have dynamic suspension. If that happens, deactivate the ADS suspension setting in Carista and if necessary, go into DIAGNOSE and reset the fault codes."

I found that out the hard way. :)

Reactions: Nilz and V6_Man
@Tashfeen thats great mate, thanks for posting that link, will defo give that a go when i get a spare few minutes, is there a noticable difference between the choices available?

Also with individual, how does that work, does it let you adjust the car to your way??? Sorry for the silly questions...

Cheers
Nilz

@Tashfeen thats great mate, thanks for posting that link, will defo give that a go when i get a spare few minutes, is there a noticable difference between the choices available?

Also with individual, how does that work, does it let you adjust the car to your way??? Sorry for the silly questions...

Cheers
Nilz

No problem mate. And there are no silly questions, it is better to ask; I learnt it the hard way by screwing up with something that I should've asked in first place - ain't gonna embarrass myself with what it was :)

Back to your question, Yes is the answer. I didn't have ADS on my S4 and after activating it, I did notice difference in steering wheel, i.e. comfort v dynamic. I have set it to Comfort and I quite like it tbh.

Re: other options, I am not exactly sure. My S4 is remapped (including DSG tune) so, the car is pretty responsive anyways and therefore it was and still is difficult for me to tell the difference whether or not engine/gearbox is responsive or not. However, people have said that overall, the car feels more responsive depending on the settings you've selected. And I am sure you'll feel the difference once activated and set to individual settings.

Do let us know once you've made the changes and if it feels different.

Reactions: Nilz

Hm ok, I think it will probably work then since I have tested it with Torque (using a friends dongle) and seemed to do the job. For £3 it's a bargain so will buy and test.

Anyone seen or tried this: https://blog.caristaapp.com/audi-drive-select-ads-for-audi-a4-a5-q5-b8-f2034203f2f3

Interesting to see if it is actually worth doing without any other physical modification to the car.

Thanks, it looked like it was going to be a pain...

Also, regarding the Windows on key press, this is a very common feature across all VAG vehicles and I am pretty sure that would have already been a option in your MMI (don't think you need Carista for that). How is your dipped side mirror in reverse feature going? I heard some people have issues with it going back to the wrong position when you start driving again.

Anyone know if this dongle would work in with the Carista app? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OB...-Interface-Scanner-Tool-Hot-FH-/351842088605?

It looks like any other OBD2 dongle to me so I guess it should?

At that price, I'd be happy to buy a couple to leave in the cars - as long as they work with iPhone 5S!

Edit:- I already have a genuine Carista dongle, but I've often wondered where/when the risk to the car becomes an issue when stuffing these cheap dongles into the OBD2 socket, having a bluetooth dongle that fails to work or does not work could be annoying, having a cheap bluetooth dongle that causes the car permanent damage might not be a good idea.

Last edited:
At that price, I'd be happy to buy a couple to leave in the cars - as long as they work with iPhone 5S!

Edit:- I already have a genuine Carista dongle, but I've often wondered where/when the risk to the car becomes an issue when stuffing these cheap dongles into the OBD2 socket, having a bluetooth dongle that fails to work or does not work could be annoying, having a cheap bluetooth dongle that causes the car permanent damage might not be a good idea.

I've bought the dongle and will report back when I get it (have already tested a friends dongle and works fine in my B8.5 SE Technik), however I really don't see any issue with the cheap dongles to be honest. The worst they can do is stop working, it is highly unlikely they will do any damage to the vehicle. I'm sure it will be equally prone to failing as the Carista one. The only reason the Carista dongle is so expensive is because they've OEM'd it, put their branding and packaging on it and they are giving a "free" one month subscription with it, otherwise I am certain that dongle on it's own is not worth more than £5.

The one I posted is from China so a little bit cheaper as they produce and sell in masses.

It's much cheaper to buy a generic dongle like this and then buy the Carista subscription, than it is to buy the Carista dongle and get a "free" 1 month subscription.

Last edited:
Can the carista dongle be used with the OBDEleven app?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've bought the dongle and will report back when I get it (have already tested a friends dongle and works fine in my B8.5 SE Technik), however I really don't see any issue with the cheap dongles to be honest. The worst they can do is stop working, it is highly unlikely they will do any damage to the vehicle. I'm sure it will be equally prone to failing as the Carista one. The only reason the Carista dongle is so expensive is because they've OEM'd it, put their branding and packaging on it and they are giving a "free" one month subscription with it, otherwise I am certain that dongle on it's own is not worth more than £5.

The one I posted is from China so a little bit cheaper as they produce and sell in masses.

It's much cheaper to buy a generic dongle like this and then buy the Carista subscription, than it is to buy the Carista dongle and get a "free" 1 month subscription.

Yes, but when I bought Carista maybe 20 months ago, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth because getting a suitable iPhone compatible dongle working with Carista was not too easy - so when I bought Carista, I just went straight for the Carista branded dongle, it could be 20 months on with newer better cheap dongles appearing (using newer chip sets) and changes being made to Carista S/W that these issues are now fewer in number, remember back then buying Carista did not involve any of the current subscription deals, just worked fully out of the box/app!

Yes, but when I bought Carista maybe 20 months ago, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth because getting a suitable iPhone compatible dongle working with Carista was not too easy - so when I bought Carista, I just went straight for the Carista branded dongle, it could be 20 months on with newer better cheap dongles appearing (using newer chip sets) and changes being made to Carista S/W that these issues are now fewer in number, remember back then buying Carista did not involve any of the current subscription deals, just worked fully out of the box/app!

Ye I guess it made sense then.

Has anyone tried the VAG DPF app on their A4? Does it work?
I tried it a little while ago and it seamed to be giving me reasonable values. With that said, I'm guessing what reasonable values might be. Could be useful if you're having issues with your dpf but beyond that I don't think it really tells you anything useful