Carista App

Hi
I have also emailed and been given the beta version which does both EPB and service reset
The down side is that every time you use these options it needs a payment of £4.99

So even after paying for the pro version of the app you need to pay £4.99 per time for certain features?

This is beginning to sound a bit nasty, I didn't see any of that when I was ordering mine or paying for the PRO upgrade!

B8 is UDS, supports obd2 though bus layer link is ISO TP2.0.

There is a logger in the works ;)

Some pics from app

That is fair enough I suppose as I only bought Carista for "use on the road" - VCDS is my scan tool of choice at home, or on a long journey/holiday as I'll have my netbook with me.

I suppose it is fair enough to operate in this way, though maybe all the "charge per use" extras could have been listed on their website as that might mean more to non VCDS owners. Could be called imaginative marketing?

Myself also went out and bought the carista dongle and paid for the pro upgrade just to get the EPB usage and service reset
I do now have vcds and was hopeing carista would be easier than carrying a laptop about all over the place
Not to be
think I'll go and get a net book and just use vcds it's going to work out a lot cheaper in the long run

Oh go on, please explain what that means in the context of the most recent postings on this thread, ta!

Not sure on the rules so I'll be brief one of my aims is develop a data logger for Simos.

Why would you pay the fee when the service indicator can be reset from inside the car. EU legislation made this possible and all cars sold in the EU can have there service interval light reset from inside the vehicle.

I'm running the new beta three , downloaded it last week and now all items are free if you pay £29 a year or £5 for a weeks access
Personally after paying for the pro edition I thought £5 a go for service reset or EPB was to much
but £29 a year is passable if your using it a lot

Last edited:
Have you ever tried having dialogue with them, if only to check up what they plan to do in the future for this APP?

I haven't. When I first started using it it was new and they were always updating and adding cars and features, but now they haven't added anything for a while, at least they have a decent set for Audi, I was surprised when helping out a friend with his Lexus, there's not much there in comparison

I read most of the pages but sorry if someone has already answered this.

Can anyone clarify what exactly is additional cost in app if you already have the pro package?

Do you pay extra to turn on needle sweep, corner lights etc if you already paid the £15 for pro, or does pro give you all of these 'customisations'?

I saw people say they had to pay to unwind the calipers, so does this mean it is just 'advanced diagnostics' that are extra in app costs and the 'cusomisations' are included in the £15 pro package?

:)

Needle sweep etc is included in the £15 fee so don't need to pay anymore for that stuff.

I already have chirp etc enabled by vagcom (not mine), but saw this thread and thought it is a nice little device to have to enable stuff for friends or the next car.

The new beta version says they are doing away with the pay for advance settings and instead will charge £29 a year for whole package

Maybe I should look at the Carista website, but really have Carista made clear what they intend to provide in the terms of future proofing etc, for a user's commitment to hand over £29 a year?

Don't get me wrong here, if it can do a lot for all the listed marques, then it could be a good investment - but only for someone regularly working "light weight" on all these marques. VCDS costs quite a lot (up front) for a DIY user, but it does a lot with no recurring costs - well not until VAG dramatically change their ways of doing things.

I messaged them through their facebook page yesterday asking about the pricing structure change, got no reply :(

I started this thread and have to say I am saddened by the new pricing policy. I did all I needed to the car before the change including changing rear brake pads. Safe to say I probably won't use it again other than checking fault codes!

Reactions: rum4mo
I started this thread and have to say I am saddened by the new pricing policy. I did all I needed to the car before the change including changing rear brake pads. Safe to say I probably won't use it again other than checking fault codes!

Carista replied and said if you have paid for the full app before the new pricing , then you have the full package for life with no further payments.
I got the full app now (paid £16) to avoid missing out and already used it few times, still a good app if you already have purchased it for lifetime use, but i wouldnt pay yearly.

Yes I agree completely, though as I initially bought this for just checking faults, I was okay with that but I'm unsure if they will ever automatically roll out newer limited updates via the app store - like any other tool like this would - or is it up to you to be on their Facebook and/or Twitter feeds and only get limited updates that way. I think that you could either call their business model very cynical or devious - not good!

Carista replied and said if you have paid for the full app before the new pricing , then you have the full package for life with no further payments.
I got the full app now (paid £16) to avoid missing out and already used it few times, still a good app if you already have purchased it for lifetime use, but i wouldnt pay yearly.

Did you get the impression that if the original pro version was bought before the new price structuring, that any newer limited updates would be automatically rolled out via the app store in the usual form of "there is a newer software available", or only if you were on their Facebook and/or Twitter feeds - or not at all?

How did an app turn into a shady mechanic is beyond me lmfao. All this info should be stated clearly by them!
There has been no update for people with the app for a long time now, people get no responses. If they ask for a yearly fee I'm not paying :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rum4mo
Just a thought, why can't Carista not change the name of their later more extensive program, to make things clear while continuing to support their current customers of the original application as newer versions of these cars go to market?

Does any know which obd2 Bluetooth scanner (android phone) will work on a diesel engine? As lots of them on ebay or amazon say that they can only be used on petrol cars. Cheers

Yes I agree completely, though as I initially bought this for just checking faults, I was okay with that but I'm unsure if they will ever automatically roll out newer limited updates via the app store - like any other tool like this would - or is it up to you to be on their Facebook and/or Twitter feeds and only get limited updates that way. I think that you could either call their business model very cynical or devious - not good!

Did you get the impression that if the original pro version was bought before the new price structuring, that any newer limited updates would be automatically rolled out via the app store in the usual form of "there is a newer software available", or only if you were on their Facebook and/or Twitter feeds - or not at all?

Sorry been on hols a while :D
They did not no, but I did not ask.. I think I will message them on FB again

Well I upgraded to the pro version, (£14:99), and enabled a few bits on mine; needle sweep, hazards on emergency braking, bleep on arm/disarm, I'll look into the other options and see what else I can do. Quite happy with it for the money :0)

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck with this adaptor with an iPhone?:
Amazon product

I've received it today and tried it out. Connected via WIFI which worked fine, ignition on but engine off and Carista tries to connect, gets to around 29% then says theres an issue and perhaps my car isnt supported? Its an A4 B8 2.0tdi

L

I had to buy the proper carista one and it works superb on a 2008 Audi s5 , the others didn't

Reactions: CHEZ
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck with this adaptor with an iPhone?:
Amazon product

I've received it today and tried it out. Connected via WIFI which worked fine, ignition on but engine off and Carista tries to connect, gets to around 29% then says theres an issue and perhaps my car isnt supported? Its an A4 B8 2.0tdi

L

This is the one I bought, works fine...

Amazon product

So I got a message back from Carista to say my car is not supported :-S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whats your car model exactly? Why isnt it supported

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its an 08 A4 2.0tdi Multitronic S Line.

I've no idea why it isnt supported, they didnt say anymore