Its a more basic & a lot cheaper version of VCDS IMO
http://www.caristaapp.com/

Covers -
Basic OBD2 diagnostics
Advanced diagnostic
Customizations
Service indicator reset
Electronic parking brake tool

The most recent update on the 9th December now covers, of all things, the 8V A3/S3 PFL & FL models
http://www.caristaapp.com/vehicle/Audi/A3/S3 (Mk3: 2013+)/2016
Scroll down 2/3 of the page

The folks on the B8 A4/S4 section have been using this app for a while now
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/carista-app.237050/

I've used it on my S4 & its dead easy to use

Reactions: lucaslfc, Col Simpson, Scottyg and 4 others
That does look nice

How fool proof is it?

Chances of trying to make a customisation and it ruining something?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Cracking I fancy that to set the beep and the oil temp up cheers for the heads up

Reactions: WarwickL and azibux1
I mentioned this in the VCDS thread - the S3 8V release

They have three subsets of customisations which have limited options so far but more are coming (still in beta test)

I can confirm on mine that the process works well.

I've enabled chirp on lock (can be done for unlock as well), windows down and up on long remote press, indicator setting, oil temp on all screens, adding menu items for options to the MMI.

About 20 customisations on offer.

Disable Start/Stop, exhaust flappers (and around 60 more) etc still in beta but not far away

Reactions: Scottyg, azibux1, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
That does look nice

How fool proof is it?

Chances of trying to make a customisation and it ruining something?

There is always a chance of screwing something up every time you do anything to the car :)

The app has been through beta testing and from my experience the developers are cautious.

OBDeleven, not so sure.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and azibux1
Warwick - do you know if it will, either in its current form or beta trial, activate a rear camera installation?
I am happy to pay the cost for the necessary parts to do this, but not so happy to buy a VCDS for its activation that I will, in all likelihood, never use again!

Warwick - do you know if it will, either in its current form or beta trial, activate a rear camera installation?
I am happy to pay the cost for the necessary parts to do this, but not so happy to buy a VCDS for its activation that I will, in all likelihood, never use again!

Best to contact Carista direct

FB page or via email

Current version doesn't offer that

Cheers

My view of the three main customisation tools are ...

VCDS - for the owner who has a few VAG cars, wants to do in depth customisations and be in complete control of the process. Great customer support, reliable software/hardware and generally foolproof (given you can keep setups locally). Priced accordingly (some suggest eye gouging). There are knockoffs but nowhere near as capable or as reliable or as well supported.

OBDEleven - a dumbed down version of VCDS with restricted capability and android only. Clumsy coding capability and possibly dangerous in the hands of some users. Good online support. Pricing model is OK but a little eye gouging versus Carista but for what it does, good value. Great tool for the 8V. Have heard of a couple of owners getting in a lot of trouble using the coding options it provides. Personally not aware of any customer beta testing they may have or are doing.

Carista - an even more dumbed down version of VCDS with no coding capability - basically a select on/off capability and for now, on the 8V, limited customisations (but more coming). Unique versus OBDeleven in that it is android and iOS. Good online support. Carista are cautious about updates and have a very good beta testing procedure with beta users.

For most of us, the mobile apps (OBDeleven and Carista) are fantastic tools that allow us as owners to make the basic changes we want with very little cost versus VCDS.

Audi could have jumped on this and delivered their own offering, either as a customer app or a dealer option. I understand why they wouldn't touch something like VCDS but the dumbed down Carista approach is pretty fool proof - basically an on or off selection for each customisation. I would have been more than happy to pay the dealer to implement everything I wanted but no, not the Audi way.

Reactions: pedro61163, Scottyg and Bristle Hound
Any idea when these extra Carista 8V features are coming? Only ask as you seem 'in the know'

Any idea when these extra Carista 8V features are coming? Only ask as you seem 'in the know'

Not really in the know, just participating in the beta testing. Don't have any info on when other than "soon".

From Carista just now on their FB page :)

Finally! Customizations for the MK7 family are now officially available in Carista! VW Golf 7, VW Passat B8, Audi A3/S3/RS3, Seat Leon 5F, Skoda Octavia 5E, Skoda Superb Mk3 and their smaller siblings: VW Polo 6C, Seat Ibiza/Toledo, Skoda Fabia/Rapid 2015+ are all in.

But that's not all: more customizations for all of those are coming up before the end of 2016 in another free update!

Reactions: azibux1
My view of the three main customisation tools are ...

VCDS - for the owner who has a few VAG cars, wants to do in depth customisations and be in complete control of the process. Great customer support, reliable software/hardware and generally foolproof (given you can keep setups locally). Priced accordingly (some suggest eye gouging). There are knockoffs but nowhere near as capable or as reliable or as well supported.

OBDEleven - a dumbed down version of VCDS with restricted capability and android only. Clumsy coding capability and possibly dangerous in the hands of some users. Good online support. Pricing model is OK but a little eye gouging versus Carista but for what it does, good value. Great tool for the 8V. Have heard of a couple of owners getting in a lot of trouble using the coding options it provides. Personally not aware of any customer beta testing they may have or are doing.

Carista - an even more dumbed down version of VCDS with no coding capability - basically a select on/off capability and for now, on the 8V, limited customisations (but more coming). Unique versus OBDeleven in that it is android and iOS. Good online support. Carista are cautious about updates and have a very good beta testing procedure with beta users.

For most of us, the mobile apps (OBDeleven and Carista) are fantastic tools that allow us as owners to make the basic changes we want with very little cost versus VCDS.

Audi could have jumped on this and delivered their own offering, either as a customer app or a dealer option. I understand why they wouldn't touch something like VCDS but the dumbed down Carista approach is pretty fool proof - basically an on or off selection for each customisation. I would have been more than happy to pay the dealer to implement everything I wanted but no, not the Audi way.
Pretty good descriptions there :)

Audi do have their own offering called Offboard Diagnostic Information System (ODIS). It comes to two flavours, ODIS Service and ODIS Engineering and its whats used within the dealership / service network. ODIS can do everything which the three above listed applications can do and much much more, the problem is that the workshop staff don't know how to use it outside of the "guided" fault finding function for the most part. If people think that VCDS has an eye gouging price tag then ODIS is "kidney and children selling" in order to fund by comparison lol

Another tool worth a mention is Vag Can Professional. Does everything VCDS does bar adaptation maps and is almost as fully featured as ODIS Engineering.

Reactions: Hash, azibux1 and WarwickL
Dealers here refuse to make any changes.

Even simple things
Pretty much the same here (uk) and mainly for three reasons:
  1. it's not worth their time to get involved
  2. follow up support
  3. most have no idea how to do it lol

Reactions: Scottyg, Bristle Hound and WarwickL
Specifically on the topic of OBDeleven versus Carista, this was a recent post by Carista on their FB page which is a good summary (sure, I'd expect them to favour Carista but it is accurate)

OBDeleven actually charges you per-setting, per-use. Their general functionality that's included in the overall "pro" app is almost impossible to use from an interface perspective, but again, that's up to you to decide. Their app is only compatible with their proprietary adapter and vice-versa (and only available for Android). In Carista, everything "just works" - there's no configuration, no prior pairing, no account creation, no picking specific ECUs or technical functions, and no messing with bytes and bits. We hide all of that complexity away from the user. And we believe our prices are reasonable and much lower than going to a service shop even once. Everyone decides for themselves what makes sense for their own use case.

Pretty much the same here (uk) and mainly for three reasons:
  1. it's not worth their time to get involved
  2. follow up support
  3. most have no idea how to do it lol
The response I got from three dealers was

"We aren't allowed to do it, Audi prohibits us from making any changes to the system delivered"

Not really in the know, just participating in the beta testing. Don't have any info on when other than "soon".

From Carista just now on their FB page :)

Finally! Customizations for the MK7 family are now officially available in Carista! VW Golf 7, VW Passat B8, Audi A3/S3/RS3, Seat Leon 5F, Skoda Octavia 5E, Skoda Superb Mk3 and their smaller siblings: VW Polo 6C, Seat Ibiza/Toledo, Skoda Fabia/Rapid 2015+ are all in.

But that's not all: more customizations for all of those are coming up before the end of 2016 in another free update!
Nice! Rather soon indeed then

Will be keen to see details on them once released

The response I got from three dealers was

"We aren't allowed to do it, Audi prohibits us from making any changes to the system delivered"
Could indeed be the case.

I actually ordered a Carista Dongle yesterday. Was new very very cheap on eBay so I thought to grab it and see what it's like.

I actually ordered a Carista Dongle yesterday. Was new very very cheap on eBay so I thought to grab it and see what it's like.
Be keen to hear your thoughts!! :D

I'm just using a cheap ELM I got off eBay - Carista even tell you which ones are the best to get on their website. Cost me $8 from memory and works perfectly fine. You aren't tied to their adapter but TBH, if I were getting one now, I'd just buy their one to ensure compatibility (they don't ship them here as yet however).

Oh right

The adapter I already have may work then? I missed that bit. It is just a £10/£12 Amazon one

Looks like this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...Vgate-OBD2-Bluetooth-Interface/511738566.html

Depends on the firmware - some older ones won't work. Carista mention it on their website. If in doubt, get their one. Works via wifi connection with iOS, not BT so no, yours won't work unless you are using an android device.

Edit - from the Carista help page

What hardware do I need in order to use Carista?

You may use either our official Carista OBD2 adapter or a generic ELM327 adapter. If you use a generic one, make sure it conforms to ELM327 v1.4 or newer and that it uses Bluetooth for Android and WiFi for iOS. For more info, watch this video:

Last edited:
Reactions: azibux1
Best to contact Carista direct

FB page or via email

Current version doesn't offer that

Cheers
Carista appear not to allow direct contact and I am not on FB, hence my question to you!
I somehow imagine it will not go as far as what is needed to install the camera (other knock down versions do not allow this as well) plus, I think I will only get online problem support using VCDS, so will have to bite the bullet (UNLESS anyone knows someone with VCDS in South France..??) and fork out the price.
Anyone though looking for a cheap VCDS, watch this space as there might be one available in a month or two!

I've had good email response from Carista but as I said, their offering is designed as a simplified option enabler, nothing more.

They say that very clearly on their site.

Edit - I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than being a customer, hence my reply :)

Frankly, a more in depth customisation tool is of no interest to me.

Last edited:
Depends on the firmware - some older ones won't work. Carista mention it on their website. If in doubt, get their one. Works via wifi connection with iOS, not BT so no, yours won't work unless you are using an android device.

Edit - from the Carista help page

What hardware do I need in order to use Carista?

You may use either our official Carista OBD2 adapter or a generic ELM327 adapter. If you use a generic one, make sure it conforms to ELM327 v1.4 or newer and that it uses Bluetooth for Android and WiFi for iOS. For more info, watch this video:

Thanks! :)

Will the app allow me to auto dip the wing mirrors when in reverse gear for a FL ?

Might try this app later! Just realised my ELM is v1.5 so should be good to go :D

Will the app allow me to auto dip the wing mirrors when in reverse gear for a FL ?
Do they not already do that if you put the selector into the passenger mirror position?

OK so I tested it out... Very swish!

Enabled alarm chirp on lock and unlock... and also oil temp on DIS scroll

One strange thing I noticed though was that after enabling the above two, my option for folding mirrors on locking was turned off. So I put it back on. I then connected Carista again to check something (and ended up changing the indicator flash from 3 to 4), got out, locked car and again, no folding mirrors. Seems whenever I go in / change something with Carista, it unchecks the folding mirror box?

Anyway, test it, locked car, got in, started car (ignition on only), then locked again and they did fold... So will see how it goes and if it unchecks itself or not when carista is not connected

Anyone (@WarwickL or @DJAlix probably know) know what the 'auto headlights activation threshold' is? Can set it to low, normal or high. Is it the speed at which auto high beam assist kicks in? Or something else?

Mirror dip from factory only works if you have the folding mirror option fitted - not all areas have that option as standard. You can use coding to make mirrors without that option fitted but it uses the adjustment motors for dip and not as effective as the mirrors with the folding motors installed. Carista is implementing in next update for those without folding mirrors.

Enabling a new option in the MMI resets some settings to default - you just need to enable those again in the MMI. Only happens when you make a change with Carista. Otherwise, the options you select in the MMI stay enabled, or disabled, depending no your choice. This is by design from Carista.

The headlight setting manages the auto headlight on based on the sensor.

That's good then, nothing to worry about

Yeah got a response from them on Facebook, is to do with darkness for auto lights, not speed for auto high beam

Have sent you a private message Warwick

I meant to tell you, "Daytime running lights (DRL) activate parking light". activates rear lights as DRL's :)

Silly name to call it but yep.
Aha that is silly, I thought it would be something to do with what you'd normally refer to as a parking light. Might look into switching that on.

Let me know what you think as I haven't done that one yet.

Not sure of the point ?
No I'm not too sure either... Suppose you can be seen better and some probably think it just looks better?

anyone got a link to the cheap adapter they bought from ebay , i purchased one few weeks ago and it didnt work so a direct link to the one they purchased thats works would be helpful to us all

No point posting link to mine as it is an Aussie seller. Any ELM 327 with firmware ver 1.4 or greater should work fine.

wifi version for iOS and BT version for android (you can use the wifi version with android as well but can't use the generic bt units with iOS)

My suggestion was to buy the Carista unit though - $30. Does BT for iOS and android and works plus gives you 1 months free access to the software

Reactions: ammo-mcr and azibux1
Reactions: WarwickL